• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting rifle build conundrum

Backspace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2012
Florence, SC
So, I am attempting to build a do all long range hunting rifle and have found the rel issue is too many options. I have a spare stainless 700 long action standard bolt face and thought the logical decision was 280 AI. Then after I got to thinking, my first mistake, I also have a 700 short action with a standard bolt face. I could build a 7 WSM and get a ptg bolt since either action would be trued and I already have a 7 WSM and all of the reloading supplies needed. Another plus would be the short action has the j lock on it and the new bolt would get rid of that. So, spend the money on a new caliber or new bolt? And just to muddy the water a little more, I have a 6 and 6.5 mm blanks laying around too. As far as the rest of the rifle goes, I am wanting it to be mag fed, thinking about sitting it in a manners eh1, and will use it with a tbac suppressor when legal to hunt suppressed and no brake when not.

Hunting rifle build conundrum

A magnum is not an all-around rifle....Except in a gun magazine or gun store.

Any custom caliber, like an AI, is not an all-around caliber.

I like the EH1. But the 2 and 4 are more all-around.

I would go with the long action, and make it a 30-06.

Last edited:
All around is probably poorly worded on my point. It will be my go to big game rifle. Mainly deer maybe elk one day. I hunt lots of corn fields with shots that can range from less than 100 yards to further than I am comfortable shooting at game. I like the eh1 because I love my T4A.

I recently went through this and ended up going with 280AI rock #5 fluted at 24" in a manners EH1 with a timney. I weighed a ton of options and this seemed best since I got it throated for the berger 180VLD. I figure there isn't anything on the continent I can't kill with the 180gr. VLD and LR performance should be excellent due to the great B.C. Going with the lightweight stock and lighter contour barrel kept the weight packable. Now just to see how it shoots.....'smith e-mailed today said it should be done shortly..on final fit and ready for cerakote. I have others in 25/06 30/06 7mm Mag and 300RUM that all do the job but I wanted a true tack driving mo' fo' that didn't weigh 15lbs. so that was my final decision.

Nice. That is basically what I was thinking. Been hunting this season but my 17# 7WSM is no fun to carry across a the corn fields then up the stand. Free handed shots are challenging as well. Any guess on the weight you are expecting? What are you doing for mags and bottom metal.

When I decide on multi purpose rifle especially one that will be used for hunting, my first deciding factor is ammo availability. I load all the important stuff but the last thing I want to do it drive hours let alone days to hunt and realize my ammo is at home or something happened to it. I pick something that I can buy ammo for anywhere. Basically 243, 270, 30-06, 308, 7mmRM, and 300WM. There are other common rounds but those are by far the most commonly found bolt rifle calipers. They all have their place and some do well at a lot. IMO 308, 30-06, 300WM and 7mmRM are the better "all around" choices because all of them are acceptable for all NA game, add 270 in there if you're not leaving the lower 48 although it is a little on the small side for moose.

Of those the 7mm is the superior long range hunting round. It has recoil about that of a 308 and 30-06 and higher BC bullets without shooting 200+ gr. That would be my choice. If you're willing to chance not being able to find a box of ammo if you need to your 7WSM would be a great option as well as would 7SAUM.

Use your 6.5 blank (if it's an 8 twist) and the long action to make a 6.5-06AI. 140s cruising along at 3100fps+ will do nicely for your needs. The Manners EH1 will do nicely as well.

Use the long action and build a 6.5-284. Very light recoil and it will send a 140 VLD .612 BC at 3000 FPS with 57 grains Retumbo in a light 24 inch barrel. It will beat that 7rem mag with less recoil. You can buy lapua brass with correct headstamp or factory ammo from HSM.

6.5 blank = .264 win mag! I helped my buddy redo his .264wm that was his grandpa's and now it his primary hunt gun! I'm not joking when I same hole groups with a little bit of load tuning. Its sub .75 MOA out to 800yd and has very little recoil (my 5'4'' 120lb GF shot it a bunch)

a lot of people are bona put the .264 down but with new powders and the great 6.5 bullet choices its a great rifle.. Im debating in doing for for myself out of this savage action I just got.

6.5-06ai, 280ai, 30-06 or 35 whelen. Since you have the 6.5 blank why not a 6.5-06ai it will kill anything in N.America as dead as say the 35 whelen would

There are no flies on a 270. My 6.5-06 AI offers very little over an equally twisted 270, and it is alot more work to load. But if I had everything going on that you do, including your itch to be different, I would go 6.5 SAUM. Sell that J-lock and never regret it.

I'm currently going through the same thing. The caliber choices are so numerous it's hard to make a decision. It seems at the end of the day you really can't go wrong with a lot of calibers so just go with what you want and be happy. There's always something a little faster, a higher BC, less recoil, better bullet etc. I'm coming to the conclusion that If I can't get it done with a 30-06 then it's me and not the rifle.

6.5 blank = .264 win mag! I helped my buddy redo his .264wm that was his grandpa's and now it his primary hunt gun! I'm not joking when I same hole groups with a little bit of load tuning. Its sub .75 MOA out to 800yd and has very little recoil (my 5'4'' 120lb GF shot it a bunch)

a lot of people are bona put the .264 down but with new powders and the great 6.5 bullet choices its a great rifle.. Im debating in doing for for myself out of this savage action I just got.

so this is pretty much like what the .260 is to the .308 right? just smaller caliber, .300 wm case? I might have to look into this....

6.5-06 gets my vote. I have a 264 Win Mag, a 260 rem and a 6.5-06. My favorite one of the three is the 6.5-06. Brass easily formed by necking up 25-06 brass. Ballistics are essentially the same as a 6.5-284 however pressures are a bit lower.

If you are looking at a 7 mm I would strongly suggest the straight 284. I have a 280AI and I think the speeds and performance is over rated.

6.5X284 would be a great hunting round. 140 berger at 3050 is fun to shoot! For a hunting rig it will last a long time.

There are no flies on a 270. My 6.5-06 AI offers very little over an equally twisted 270, and it is alot more work to load. But if I had everything going on that you do, including your itch to be different, I would go 6.5 SAUM. Sell that J-lock and never regret it.
.270 bore's got nothin on a 6.5, it'll smoke the .270 all over. (Not to say there's anything wrong with a .270 though)

I agree with Graham, there are lots if boring old calibers that will fill your chamber and excel at what your doing. I like the idea of a .280AI though. And if you have an 8-8.5 twist blank laying there then your obvious choices are .260(my current fave) or the magnum offerings of the 6.5 G.Gardner SAUM ;) , or one of my other favorites, the .264WM. Just rebuilt my Dad's and it is a lazer beam shooting 140's at 3150. You will not go wrong with any of them.

Starting with easily available big game capable ammo, I'm thinking .270 or .30-'06; but I'm really liking the .280 more. Unfortunately Savage does not offer the chambering. No 280, my suggestion would be for the Savage 116 FSS Weather Warrior in one of the former two, or using one as a base for custom hunter weight 26" barrel chambered in .280, 1:8" twist for 180's (but I also think 150's with a 1:9" are plenty, and ought to shoot flatter/easier). I like the Lothar-Walther LW-50 stainless. You might consider the Bavarian Classic contour.

I really think nothing more is really needed.

Greg

Last edited:
I just received my 6.5 x 06 standard chambering, not A/I. I didn't think it would be worth it. Nobody had dies. As it was I waited about 3 months from RCBS and then two weeks later my backorder came in from Midway. I can make brass from 30-06, .270 and 25-06. Now in my area 25-06 cases are harder to find than hens teeth. So I had some initial problems forming 30-06 in 6.5 x 06. I got it worked out. Bullets are easy to find from 120 to 142 grains. Powder so far is 4350, I am looking for some 4831sc eventually.

What I like, far less recoil. I have a friend who is much smaller - 5' 7" and about 145 lbs and he flinched the first time claiming he expected much more kick. He told me he though it kicked less than his .243 - that is his impression. I know I can shoot this all day with 140's compared to even 150's out of my 30-06. The gun likes 129's and 130's which are very comfortable to shoot. I could easily go a 100 rounds vs much less for a 30-06. I think I made a good choice, although I have not dropped an animal yet.

It it were me, I would go 280rem for over the counter ammo, but since you said reload, then its an easy decision, 338.06. SA would be 338fed or 7.08rem.

I have said before, headstamp and ballastics have nothing to do with placing a bullet where it needs to be but is far arguments sake. Of course it is fun to discuss but I beleive it comes down to, placing the pill in the kill zone, nothing else.