• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting rifle build ?s

Coltsp1

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2019
Building an old mid 80s 300 wm that has been in the family since new. Just purchased a manners eh1 stock. Thinking about the vudu 5x25 for the scope but have not yet purchased one. Curious on your opinion on triggers, rails , cerecote vs paint on the barrel and action. Would appreciate any advice Thanks

Reactions: Genin
What action is it?

Do you prefer single stage triggers or...

How light of a trigger pull do you want on your hunting rig?

Complete barelled action can be coated to whatever color you want, that won't affect it's performance. Although I'm not sure if they use cerakote or durakote for that.

That scope should serve you well.

Geissele I have 2 stage geissele on a couple ar platforms and like them. Never messed with bolt gun triggers. Dependability is a must on this rifle. This Gun will not be a safe queen, so I guess the question on the finish is spend money on cerecote and beat it up or just paint and redo it every couple years

I was going to have mine cerakoted and ended up just painting it instead. Happy with how it turned out. Not real concerned if it gets scratched or whatever, its going to get used.

Edit, didn't paint the barreled action, just the chassis it sits in.

I like my 2 stage trigger on my Howa rifle a lot but I also don't dislike my single stage triggers on my m70 rifles. This is going to be very personal so I won't recommend anything.

As far as the paint goes, you can spray paint your rifle. It's going to be cheap because spray paint is cheap. You can always repaint if wanted. You can repaint to touch up scratches or to switch up the color pattern/scheme.

I personally spray paint all my rifles. While they do scratch up a little bit, the paint has actually lasted a lot more than I anticipated. I'm surprised about that.

However, if you go cerakote/duracoat, the finish is less likely to scratch up. It is able to resist a lot more beating so you need to decide for yourself how you will weigh each option.

Timney makes fine triggers.
For a rail there are lots of good choices, Nightforce, badger, Seekins, leupold, etc.

Might consider a Trigger Teck. I put a Rem 700 Special Trigger on my Mid 70's Model 700 in 270 Win and love it.

Cerakote has worked best for me.

For triggers, TriggerTech

Rails, for a M700, I use the NightForce Direct Mount. Keeps it nice, clean and light!

I have a trigger tech Dimond in my large frame AR, Geissele dmr ar15 both are nice. The trigger tech is very nice. I had a jewel hvr in my 700 clone which I replaced with a two stage Bix'n Andy TacSport Pro. The jewel was nice but I think it was not the right trigger for hunting. The Tacsport pro is probably my favorite trigger to date and the trigger tech is new but I can see me buying more of them in the future.