• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting Rifle Build

waveone

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
Texas
I have a RUM SS bolt face that I would like to use in a new build. After some consideration it seems that my experience with Bartlein barrells presents a good reason to stick eith them and order a #5 contour barrell to replace my 7MMRUM barrell.

I assume this is equivalent to the Sendero barrell. Anyway, weight is somewhat of an issue because many of my hunts are in the mountains and rough terrain. THerefore I do not want the rifle's total weight to exceed 9-10 #s.

I have been looking at the McMillan HTG or the Remington Hunter.

Any thoughts?

Re: Hunting Rifle Build

I would look into the A1-3 instead of the HTG, better cheekweld for me because of the higher comb. Maybe have it done with EDGE technology and flute that new barrel to get to your target weight including glass.

If you want a hunting rifle for the mountains, why are you using such a large barrel? I'd way rather tote something lighter. Sporter barrels can shoot exceptionally well.

Personally, I'd go with something like a Lilja #2, 24"-26" in a McMillan Remington Classic pattern stock. You'd likely be closer to 8.5 lbs all up, including scope and sling.

I concur. Slim/sporter barrels make better sense for Hunters, and especially for Mountain Hunters. Personally, a rifle that weights more than 7-8lb all up needs to go on a diet before going into areas with significantly dominant terrain inclination. Hunting is meant to be a recreation, not a strenuous chore.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I concur. Slim/sporter barrels make better sense for Hunters, and especially for Mountain Hunters. Personally, a rifle that weights more than 7-8lb all up needs to go on a diet before going into areas with significantly dominant terrain inclination. Hunting is meant to be a recreation, not a strenuous chore.

Greg </div></div>

Perhaps, I am a bit set in my ways and old habits die hard. When I speak of hunting in the mountains, it is not a dream or something I plan to do, but do on a fairly regular basis. So I am used to carrying a Sendero, which weighs closer to 11#'s, in very rough terrain up to 11k+ elevation. It doen't bother me.

I would also tell that this would be my main Hunting Rifle.

Thus, while the both of you raise great points, My thought is IF I can shave a pound or two off of my packing weight, I'll satisfied with that.

What would be a compromise between the #5 contour and say the #2 you speak of? Oh and I am looking for a stock with a higher comb for a good cheek weld. , somewhat similar to the McMillan A-1 Jason mentioned.

Get the HTG with the adjustable comb. The a13's comb is still to low. The HTG with the adjustable comb is the cat's meow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the HTG with the adjustable comb. The a13's comb is still to low. The HTG with the adjustable comb is the cat's meow. </div></div>

I really like this stock over my A3 and A5s for hunting apps.

How about the MCS-T or the MCS-TA with the 90% carbon fiber option . Thinking about trying it myself on a build I have planned . Anyone know how it compares to the HTG or A series McMillians .

Try a deep fluted Number 4 contour finished at 22". Edge Technology in a McM stock or look at Manners Ultra Lites or 90+% carbon fiber builds in any of his designs.

The adjustable HTG will simply add weight.

If you want a bit more weight than a #2, then go a #3 or 4. A #5 is generally close to a Rem Varmint/Sendero contour. You could even do a fluted #4, shich would weigh closer to a #3, but retain a bit more stiffness.

A great hunting rifle with a higher comb would be a McMillan Remington Hunter. Here's a pic of one I had on a .243. Wish I had a pic of the comb for you
DSC_0895.jpg

Fore reference, that barrel is a Medium Palma contour - close to a #6

DSC_0897.jpg

It's a great stock, much better set up IMHO for a hunting stock than an MTG or A1-3

It's far easier (and probaly a good bit cheaper, too) to start lightweight than to work down to lightweight. I would simply start over. Unless the old rifle is completely unsuited to anything you do, I'd keep it and keep using it as before. Failing that, somebody else should like it enough to buy it.

My source for replacement/custom barrels is Lothar-Walther in Cumming GA. Here is their description of available contours.

McMillan has a wide variety of stocks that should meet your requirements.

Greg

I think a #5 contour is perfect. Are you going to keep it a 7RUM? My go-to hunting rifle is a Nesika Action, #5 Contour Lilja 26" barrel with deep flutes and an APS Painkiller muzzle brake, McMillan Varminter stock, Seekins bottom metal, Rifles Basix trigger in a 7mm Allen Mag (7-338 Lapua Improved). It weighs around 10 lbs scoped with a USO SN33.2-17x44.

I have done some serious mountain hunting with it including Alaska Dall Sheep backpack hunts and don't mind hauling around a pound or so of extra rifle which enables me to accurately shoot some pretty long ranges.

I think you are on the right track. I would really recommend the McMillan varminter stock. It's a great stock for the weight. Not quite as solid as an A5, but it will drop your weight a little bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propulsionclimbing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a #5 contour is perfect. Are you going to keep it a 7RUM? My go-to hunting rifle is a Nesika Action, #5 Contour Lilja 26" barrel with deep flutes and an APS Painkiller muzzle brake, McMillan Varminter stock, Seekins bottom metal, Rifles Basix trigger in a 7mm Allen Mag (7-338 Lapua Improved). It weighs around 10 lbs scoped with a USO SN33.2-17x44.

I have done some serious mountain hunting with it including Alaska Dall Sheep backpack hunts and don't mind hauling around a pound or so of extra rifle which enables me to accurately shoot some pretty long ranges.

I think you are on the right track. I would really recommend the McMillan varminter stock. It's a great stock for the weight. Not quite as solid as an A5, but it will drop your weight a little bit. </div></div>

Couldn't agree more. The only thing defferent i would suggest is the Manners MCS-T 90% Carbon. It has a better cheek weld than the Mcmillan Varminter. It has a vertical pistol grip that is really nice and the cheek weld is so high you dont really need an adjustable one. The weight is only 2.2 lbs. I am very happy with mine (I have had the Mcmillan Varminter also).

My build is a 6.5wsm on a short action with that stock, #5 fluted 22" barrel, Seekins DBM, and USO T-Pal. It should weigh about 10lbs. This is a dual purpose rifle for me though. If it was hunting only i would go with a fluted #3 or #4 to save a little more weight. You wont loose accuracy just the ability to shoot tons of rounds in a row before the barrel gets too hot.

Good suggestion on the Manners MCS-T 90% Carbon. It is also an excellent choice and can be had very light.

MuleHunter, is your rifle complete? I would be surprised if you don't come in lighter than 10 lbs. Sounds like a nice rig!