• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting rifle for dad?

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all,

While my dad did not ask for a new rifle, I always love finding excuses to buy or build another one lol. Anyhow, he's been shooting 270 for a while and for the type of hunting that we do, it's just too much.

Today he shot the big deer that he's had on trail cam at his lease and missed really bad. The deer was probably inside 60 yards and the brush shrub that my dad hit and killed was probably 2 feet to the right of the deer. He's developed a flinch and jerks the trigger when he pulls. For that, I have made up the perfect excuse to buy/build a low recoiling hunting rifle. I also plan to add him to my trust and lend him my suppressor for him to take with and hunt on days I don't use it.

We hunt in south Texas from a stationary position. The deer here are never 200 pounds, even the biggest of them.

While every now and then opportunity presents itself on a deer at longer ranges, my dad simply doesn't take those shots. And to be honest, most hunting here is within 250 yards.

When he carries any of my rifles, he complains they're too heavy. I've never weighed them but I would guesstimate they're all in the 14 to 18 pound range. His 270 is a winchester 70 in a black synthetic stock with a pencil thick barrel.

To sum it up, I want something low recouping and short so I can add the suppressor to it. He builds his hunting blinds and since it's just him in there, he makes them 4' ×4'. This means no super long barrels. Deer are small here and shooting distance is not that far so no need for anything with so much energy.

I was thinking 18" 22CM or 6BRA. Definitely open to other suggestions. This is where you guys come in. I have tons of 6.5 brass and tons of primers and powder on hand but I don't reload. I don't have a press nor dies. So I would prefer to find factory ammo or custom ammo. Maybe soon in the future I'll start reloading but not sure yet as to when.

Does anybody wanna recommend anything? I'm all ears. I really want him to be able to feel confident and I think a softer shooting rifle will be much more pleasant to shoot.

**edit**

I must add, I would prefer something somewhat budget friendly. Probably no custom actions. Maybe Tikka t3 22-250 with 8 twist and ream it out to 22cm. Or some other factory action with a prefit.

TC makes the compass in 270 (among a slew of other calibers). Very light, accurate, and very affordable packed with features. I own one in 308 as it was too cheap to not buy and it punches WAY above it's weight

TC makes the compass in 270 (among a slew of other calibers). Very light, accurate, and very affordable packed with features. I own one in 308 as it was too cheap to not buy and it punches WAY above it's weight

The problem with 270 is that it kicks like a mule. Pair that with a very light configuration you have a rifle that is not pleasant to shoot.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
    A 22-250 would work just fine on deer. A .223 Rem kills deer really well also, especially under 100 yards.

I've thought about 223 but in a short-ish barrel at 18 inches (to use suppressor on) it leaves very little energy on target. Not saying it can't be done, that it won't kill deer, but I want a little more power.

Id do a 6 CM. Not sure where you’d find factory ammo in 22 CM.

In the past I've seen a few custom ammo makers making 22CM. I believe unknown munitions was one. Although admittedly, I have not tried looking now.

7mm08 would do a lot of work. Always liked it. Plenty of Model 70’s too in it to be found. Just not sure of ammo with the way things are…

This idea of a 7-08 isn't so bad. It's more bullet (larger bullet diameter) than his 270 but it's a short action cartridge...

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Hard to beat the mini in a heavy barrel threaded, light accurate and hardly any recoil.

I definitely had not thought about this. I think this would work super great for him.

I looked at brownells and they have it in stock with a 20 inch threaded barrel. I could leave it as is or chop 2 inches off it so I could post it in the shorties thread! 😂😂

Now I need to look for a stock/chassis and mags that work for the howa mini.

Reactions: Tylermtech
    Put this together for my daughter.
    20210530_170359.jpg

why not do a sidecharging 7.62x39 AR? light, reliable, accurate enough, plenty good for hunting inside 200yds

a little outside the box than what you said

I just did one for pig hunting, turned into my favorite shooting AR

Reactions: RedDirtRifleman
    Can you put a brake or even a suppressor on the rifle for him? I would think that, paired with a mild cartridge, would help immensely.

Reactions: RedTimber
    Just get a 6.5 CM and put a brake on it. Most common cartridge these days and it will feel very tame vs a .270.

buy him 4 boxes of ammo and he’s set for years.

Just get a 6.5 CM and put a brake on it. Most common cartridge these days and it will feel very tame vs a .270.

buy him 4 boxes of ammo and he’s set for years.

I've thought about this too. I have way too much factory loaded 6.5CM. But I don't want to brake a rifle for him. I rather just get him on my trust and let him hunt suppressed. Idk why but I feel like taking out most of the "boom" will in one way or another make him more comfortable.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. So far I'm thinking 6.5CM like it was suggested above. I'm also considering an 8 twist 243, or the 6.5 grendel.

Blackblue has a very sweet looking setup for his daughter and I think that may very well work.

Keep them coming though, I'm always down to hear more suggestions.

Reactions: 65x55guy
    Flinching with a .270? I'm not sold that a new rifle is the best answer. Ide start off with a good set of electronic muffs, and enough ammo that he has to go to the range to burn some.

If that doesn't help add a little weight to the rifle. Perhaps get one of those Vortex Gen III scopes that people think are too heavy. Upgrade recoil pad if necessary.

Also consider that you diagnosed flinching based on one shot. Consider it may have been buck fever.

Reactions: RedTimber
    When my dad couldn’t handle the recoil of his .30-06 I got him a 7mm-08. 140 grain Accubonds. Tikka T3 Lite stainless. That’s plenty for your application.

My brother bought one and put a can on it for his boy. Easy.

P

6.5 is a waste inside those ranges imho and contrary to what is said, it's not the most popular cartridge.

If weight and recoil is an issue, go with an AR style set up in x39 or 300

if you must have a bolt gun, TC in 243 will be your cheapest and best option with what they offer imho

I do like the idea of the Grendel but that ammo is hard to get and overpriced in an overpriced market imho.

Tikka in 243 or 6.5 and have it threaded for a can.

Then have him shoot the thing all year.

Doubt it’s still a thing but I once bought a 243 weatherby glossy with walnut at Walmart a few years ago clearance for 249$ I put my BIL a new shooter in that reloading 70 grain bullets and it recoils like a kitten

A Weatherby in .243 is a fine choice, not light, stock does a good job of mitigating recoil and they are nicely accurate especially for the price of the base model, which is as good as any.

A better caliber still but durn near impossible to find is the .250 Savage. Or, if one could find one with a decent twist in the barrel, a .22-250 with a 1-9 or 1-8 barrel. But it would probably easier to find a new old stock Savage 99 in 250 Savage (sarcasm intended.).

I did not read the replies.
    I will say that if your area is very thick brush you might want to re think this.
    Also you can load the .270 down with 110 grain bullets and get good proformance.

Tikka T3x in 7mm-08. Cut and thread the barrel at 18"-20".

Another option is a TC Encore rifle. I use one for a 4'x4' blind and the length saved is worth it. A 16" in 308 or 18" in 7-08 is a handy little package.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Pharmseller
    6mm Creedmoor. I load mine with 88gr Hammer Hunter bullets and it is a laser at 3450fps. No recoil, and deer drop like a fly.

All of the lesser cartridges that are recommended can be duplicated by loading down the .270 if you reload.

Reactions: HousePlant
    Hello all,

While my dad did not ask for a new rifle, I always love finding excuses to buy or build another one lol. Anyhow, he's been shooting 270 for a while and for the type of hunting that we do, it's just too much.

Today he shot the big deer that he's had on trail cam at his lease and missed really bad. The deer was probably inside 60 yards and the brush shrub that my dad hit and killed was probably 2 feet to the right of the deer. He's developed a flinch and jerks the trigger when he pulls. For that, I have made up the perfect excuse to buy/build a low recoiling hunting rifle. I also plan to add him to my trust and lend him my suppressor for him to take with and hunt on days I don't use it.

We hunt in south Texas from a stationary position. The deer here are never 200 pounds, even the biggest of them.

While every now and then opportunity presents itself on a deer at longer ranges, my dad simply doesn't take those shots. And to be honest, most hunting here is within 250 yards.

When he carries any of my rifles, he complains they're too heavy. I've never weighed them but I would guesstimate they're all in the 14 to 18 pound range. His 270 is a winchester 70 in a black synthetic stock with a pencil thick barrel.

To sum it up, I want something low recouping and short so I can add the suppressor to it. He builds his hunting blinds and since it's just him in there, he makes them 4' ×4'. This means no super long barrels. Deer are small here and shooting distance is not that far so no need for anything with so much energy.

I was thinking 18" 22CM or 6BRA. Definitely open to other suggestions. This is where you guys come in. I have tons of 6.5 brass and tons of primers and powder on hand but I don't reload. I don't have a press nor dies. So I would prefer to find factory ammo or custom ammo. Maybe soon in the future I'll start reloading but not sure yet as to when.

Does anybody wanna recommend anything? I'm all ears. I really want him to be able to feel confident and I think a softer shooting rifle will be much more pleasant to shoot.

**edit**

I must add, I would prefer something somewhat budget friendly. Probably no custom actions. Maybe Tikka t3 22-250 with 8 twist and ream it out to 22cm. Or some other factory action with a prefit.
    get a rifle threaded for a brake or a suppressor that has a built in brake. a quality muzzle brake will do more than you might think without having to compromise with what caliber you can or can't shoot.

I've read this thread twice and my first thought is still the same.
    Someone above mentioned it and I totally agree.

Buy the 20" Howa mini in 6.5 Grendel.
    It's already threaded and suppressor ready.
    Brownells has the BA for $400-ish. Add your dad's stock of choice and shoot away.
    Then build him a 6" form-1 can and he's set.

I've read this thread twice and my first thought is still the same.
    Someone above mentioned it and I totally agree.

Buy the 20" Howa mini in 6.5 Grendel.
    It's already threaded and suppressor ready.
    Brownells has the BA for $400-ish. Add your dad's stock of choice and shoot away.
    Then build him a 6" form-1 can and he's set.

So far, this is my biggest candidate. I already pieced together and priced the whole thing. The build would be exactly like the one blackblue did for his daughter on post #14. But because hunting season finishes tomorrow and this would be for next season, I'm in no rush.

I'm also considering a 243 of some kind as well as a 6 creed. I gotta say though, the grendel is super tempting and practically ready. I already have a TBAC dominus, which is fairly lightweight and is going to make the whole thing very pleasant to shoot. I would just have to get him on my trust and move his scope on to the newer rifle. It is a 4.5-18 LRHS.

Just get a 243... why complicate things here? 243 has been killing deer since the dawn of time. Ammo tends to be cheap and available.

I do like that Howa idea. The action ain't bad, the 2-stage trigger is good in a hunting application. Hopefully you get a good barrel/chamber cut.

All directions are good. 6 creed, 243, or 6.5 Grendel. My hunting group has killed a shitload of deer with 243s. Several deer were taken past 400 yards with 80 gr and 85 grain Speer hot-cores. I would not necessarily pic that bullet in modern times, but it is telling. With well placed shots, whitetails are not hard to kill.

All directions are good. 6 creed, 243, or 6.5 Grendel. My hunting group has killed a shitload of deer with 243s. Several deer were taken past 400 yards with 80 gr and 85 grain Speer hot-cores. I would not necessarily pic that bullet in modern times, but it is telling. With well placed shots, whitetails are not hard to kill.

For what Speer bullets and loaded ammo costs, they better find their target if you aim in the other damn direction!

6 creed with Hornady factory 108’s
    or
    6.5 creed with Hornady American whitetail 129 grain SP
    (or others)

For what Speer bullets and loaded ammo costs, they better find their target if you aim in the other damn direction!
    They were cheaper than everything else when we hunted with them. I have no idea what Speer has in their line-up now. Honestly, the hot-cors performed on game, but they are not a long range bullet. Even in premium hand lapped barrels the best we could get was 3/4 moa. There is no way I would pay a premium for that.

Hello all,

**edit**

First, you are a good son. I have some of issues myself. For Christmas my son gave me a Browning xbolt in 308. Rifle is light. Has a small muzzle break. Shot twice. Recoil is A OK. Without a scope yet. Not sure about the cost but I think it would be similar to the Tikka.

I wouldn't see much reason to choose 243 instead of 6mm Creed unless you are tolled up already or have ammo already. They are basically the same thing, only the creed is a more modern case.

The 6.5 Creed with the 100-120 class bullets has pretty light recoil.

6.5 Grendal Ar-15 was my choice to build a light weight low recoil hunting rifle for brush hunting.