• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting rifle pack

HOOFER

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2007
lewistown, MT, Colorado
Been looking at getting a new pack. Want to be able to carry rifle with all my gear. I.e. rangefinder, spotter, water, food, tripod, knives, lights, game bags in. And then be able to carry game out. Looking for a pack big enough to carry a whole deer boned out with head/antlers and cape. I have a pack frame that I have used for a while. It does well at everything but carrying the rifle. Most of the area I hunt requires climbing and having an exposed/slung rifle just asks for scratches and dings. My guns aren't range queens by any means but doesn't mean I want to chew them up day to day. I've looked at the eberlestock offerings. But just don't want to overlook any other options. Pics of packs loaded with game would be awesome.

Thanks.

got the x1/a1 eberlestock and I have really liked it so far. It seems it will do what you want

External frame will support the heaviest loads on moderate terrain and trails as the frame places most the weight directly on the hips. If the body does not have to get twisted by the terrain, these carry massive loads.

Internal frame will carry loads best on twisted terrain off trails as the frame distributes the weight on the hips and shoulders, and allows the body to flex somewhat while on the fly.

I have used both but primarily go with internal frame for pay and play with the Andinista my #1 used pack. For pure weight hauling of meat, 5gal fuel cans, firewood and such the Gregory Denali has no equal, the #1 used and seen pack in the mountains of Alaska. No pack carries heavy massive loads like the Gregory. I understand the rifle issue but it fits on my packs when I need my hands for ascending. Rifles for Alaskans who hunt for meat have badly bruised guns and I have seen broken and cracked stocks almost every year. For me, rifle stuffed inside a pack sleeve on me back does not have merit as I want my 338 in my hands just in case ole booboo pops out to get nasty, rarely happens but...

Look at Frontier Gear of Alaska packs.

I must also offer that buying a pack from the interweb and from recommendations from the interweb may not get you the perfect fitting pack. A pack should be bought in person from someone who knows how to fit packs. What fits my back and can be adjusted to fit better most likely can be ill fitting for you. But I know most of us want to ask, interweb buy and bounce down the trail with instant gratification Vs walk into a brick and mortar shop, get some questions thrown at you, have someone look you over and then recommend the pack to fit your body type then fine tune the pack to fit more better but then you may not be tactical savvy to your peers with that hang tag.

If you want THE premium pack look at McHale, no other pack made can match the detail and performance of McHale packs.

good luck

Last edited:
^^ skinny i just found those. I messaged you on FB a while back about the bino packs. Seems the post office here in the desert takes their sweet time getting things done though i have asked about them no less than 15 times. Ill get that sent as soon as i can and will update you on FB.

^^ skinny i just found those. I messaged you on FB a while back about the bino packs. Seems the post office here in the desert takes their sweet time getting things done though i have asked about them no less than 15 times. Ill get that sent as soon as i can and will update you on FB.
Copy that bro.

Eberlestock J34 is the pack I'm after. Same boat as you. I like the fact that you can adjust the sizing. Can go from a day pack to hauling out your kill with unzipping some zippers. And you can pull your rifle out of the pack without having to take it off.

Going with a Kifaru myself for my Fall Elk trip. Still trying to decide on exactly what I want as it will double for other purposes but looking at the EMR 2.

While I'm not carrying the boned out deer out on my back(I drag it in a Dead Sled). I am carrying 50-100lbs in to start the season. I tried a couple of Eberlestock packs, didn't work for me. They wouldn't cinch up tight with the rifle scabbard empty, ripcord bow carrier was more difficult to access then I anticipated, plus my short ATA bow still seemed to hit every tree branch. I sold them and bought a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, after I added an Onieros frame extender(MR makes their own now) I can carry my 12 year old son if I had to.

Short version, for my use- The Eberlestock are well made but suffer from trying to doing everything.

My suggestion; get the pack the fits your budget and carries your heaviest possible load comfortably. Then add a Kifaru Gun Bearer. That's what works for me, in rifle season I do a fair amount (by NorthEast standards) of off trail hiking and scrambling, mostly NYs Catskills and Adirondacks.

Have Fun
Steve

This season I incorporated a 3 day assault pack for as my hunting backpack. Its a frame style pack and has plenty of room. I always carry more than I need because I don't like getting caught with my pants down. this pack always me to carry my hunting essentials, first aid/survival gear with ease. It has several external pockets that make for easy access. I had great success with this pack while hunting in a blind.

Look at the 5.11 Rush Tier rifle sleeve. Attach it to the pack of your choice. I would look also at Mystery Ranch packs. I have always had good luck with Dana Designs before the Mystery Ranch project. I still use my Dana.