• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Hunting Rifle Stock

10generation

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
California
Guys,

Not sure if this should go in this forum or bolt action, but want the opinions of hunters for this question so I put it here.

I'm kicking off a .260 or .308 build on a model 70 action. #2 or #3 contour is what I'm thinking, prob 22-23".

Question is what stock? Don't want a heavy tactical stock but want something nice to shoot.

Been thinking about a sako classic which I here mcmillan will make for a model 70.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

10gen

I have a custom 260, Rem 700 acction, Manners SL stock, Brux #5 fluted bbl. Very nice rifle and plenty light.

I have not used a Manners SL stock but I just had a 260 built on a McMillan Remington hunter stock that is well balanced and a pleasure to shoot.

+1 for the mcmillan remington hunter…..only thing I have shot that I like better for hunting is the actual mcmillan sako varmint stock which the remington hunter is based on

Hi 10gen,

The Manners SL obviously got a strong vote of confidence (and for good reason), so if that shape etc. is something you like then problem solved. If, however, you prefer a higher fixed comb (without any added stockpacks/cheekpieces) while retaining a "hunting" stock shape, then I would also say take a look at the EH2 from Manners, or the Precision Stock Works "Rifleman" stock (made by McMillan, sold through PSW), preferably in "Edge" fill (their 100% carbon lightweight layup comparable to the Manners "Elite" 100% carbon layup).

Of note for the "Rifleman" stock is that while it can be inletted for LH, it is molded with a bias to RH shooters (palm swell, shape of raised comb/cheekpiece, and a few other tweaks). I think the Manners SL is the same story, while the EH2 is ambidextrous/"neutral". So if you are a lefty, my 2 cents would be to definitely go Manners EH2, and if a righty then pick your favorite. I have experience with both the EH2 and PSW "Rifleman" and they are fantastic, but as a lefty my hunting rifles currently have EH2 stocks. Hope that helps (or at least gives you something to mull over), and have fun with the build.

Best regards,
Sean

Winchester stocks in general are harder in stock to find than Rem 700.

I would really like a Manners SL that Pat suggested, but suspect a custom order with long lead-time if you need it for this fall?

I have also been thinking about McMillan Hunter (Sako Hunter) which seems to be in in stock for Winchesters.

McMillan-Hunter.jpg

I have noticed that a M70 featherweight is a lot lighter to carry any distance compared to M70 Laredo LRH Heavy Barrel in a McMillan A5, maybe there is a happy medium

Last edited:
I was going to go with a McMillan for my 300WM light weight rifle. I even visited their facility in AZ for final selection, color choice and fitting. But, at $600 and a 6 month+ wait, that was just too much. Beautiful piece of craftsmanship, but just more than I needed for this particular rifle.
I ended up going with a B&C Medalist. Darn near the same weight, less than half the price, great choice of colors and I had it in my hands in a week.

I love my McMillan hunter with edge, this is a 300wm with 26" Bartlein #3 contour, comes in under 8 lbs. with Z6. The McMillian is extremely tough, i got it from Stocky Stocks and it was in stock, I didn't care about color because I was cerakoting it anyway.

photo1_zps9b2af15f.jpg

I currently have 2 Manners EH2's and love them! I also have a Sako fiberclass with the mcmillan sako hunter....decent, but I prefer the manners. I recently parked a model 70 in a B&C Medalist as well....for the price it's alright, probably going to get yet another manners for that as well in the future...so...MANNERS

I am a step below running a HS Precision PSV002 with a XLR cheek riser. It's about the ultimate set-up for me at that price point. Maybe a alternative for a more budget build.

About 10 or so years ago, I bought a McMillan Sako classic, for my Sako AV. I went off the fact that it was in stock, and on sale I think. I rarely shot the gun, and never thought much of it. Then I started to look at upgrading it, and the stock was not exactly what I wanted, but I had already had it pillar and glass bedded. I even asked advice here.
I waffled back and forth, and called McMillan about shortening the LOP...it's on it's way now. Then I'll send it to ShortBus for a paint job.

Since I have the original walnut hunter stock, I considered Mcmillan version, but what I really liked was the BDL stock...the nice lady informed me that the BDL stock could not be inletted for the Sako, and I might consider the Sako varmint, as it had a higher cheek piece, and the forearm was only slightly larger, .5" I think, then the BDL. She also noted the narrowness of the hunter forearm, if I was thinking of going to a larger barrel profile.
Just some food for thought, I guess.

For me, it's hard to justify another $6-700 for a new stock, and essentially toss this one aside.

I guess, I'll see how it goes.

Bob

I love my McMillan hunter with edge, this is a 300wm with 26" Bartlein #3 contour, comes in under 8 lbs. with Z6. The McMillian is extremely tough, i got it from Stocky Stocks and it was in stock, I didn't care about color because I was cerakoting it anyway.

photo1_zps9b2af15f.jpg
Not to change subject, but how is the recoil on this rifle with the edge filled stock?

I have a Vias break so it takes the recoil very well. I do take off the break when hunting, I only have very small POI shift not enough to matter 300 yds and in.
i would say the recoil is about like a 270 with the break but it's pretty rough without, however I just shot an elk with it last week and never felt anything which is normal!