• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting rifle weight?

johnstonblake

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Texas
I've only been on a couple of mountain hunts, but they were enough to teach me that every ounce counts. I'm putting together a bolt gun and was wondering what your thoughts were on weights. What would be the heaviest you would go with? Is there an optimum weight? This rifle is kinda gonna be a do it all rifle, anything from sitting in a box stand to climbing mountains.

Re: Hunting rifle weight?

I would say a median weight would be about 7.5 lbs. give or take a lb. A remmy LSS 416A stainless with walnut stock hits the scales at 6.5 without scope.

A remmy 700 SPS compact with 20" bbl in 7mm-08 is only 7 lbs

As for scopes
A Leupold 3x9x40 is about 12 oz, the 2x7x33 is 10.5 oz. The VXII Ultralight in 3x9x33 is only 8.8 oz and $250.

Good luck

I'm using a Styer Mountain Rifle in 25-06 with a Meopta 3-12 56mm scope. It's just under 8 lbs, and if I was going to be doing a lot of mountain hunting I don't think I would want much more rifle than that. A lot of the rifles weight comes from the barrel contour and length. Mine is a 23" barrel and is a fairly light contour. I'm of the opinion that you don't need much barrel on a GP hunting rifle. I also like the fact that I can get in and out of a blind or tree stand with my rifle thanks to it's short length. Caliber selection is also important, it's why I chose the 25-06. I'm very confident out to 300 yards with this particular rifle thanks to the inherent speed and accuracy of the 25-06. Compact rifle and fairly light, good knock down power for most NorthAmerican game, and the ability to shoot at extended ranges makes for a winning combination.

You might consider the 7-08, .260 Rem, and .243 Win as they are all proven calibers for deer and antelope and you can do them in a short action (less weight). However, if your hunting elk, bear, and moose you might consider one of the new WSM cartridges.

I have seen several custom rifles floating about that have had significant amounts of material removed from the bolt, action body, bolt handle, and barrel as a way of reducing weight, although I can't say exactly how much weight you are really saving with these methods. A lot of it depends on what you are hunting, where you are hunting it, and what your needs are in terms of caliber and optics. 3-9, 2.5-10, or 3-12 scopes are more than enough optic for general hunting, and bullet selection and shot placement will get the job done for most game with any of the typical calibers (.270, 25-06, 30-06, .308, 243, 7-08, .260).

Keep it light (under 8 lbs total) and your legs, back, and shoulders will thank you.

I carry a (mostly) stock Sendero on 3-day backpacking hunts in the mountains. I found it a lot cheaper to invest in lighter camping/hunting gear, than in stripping 2-3lbs off a rifle I already had. I'm sure some day I will prioritize investing in a backpacking rifle but I got rid of a lot more weight via the tent, pack and sleeping bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Keep it light (under 8 lbs total) and your legs, back, and shoulders will thank you. </div></div>

Weakling.....

laugh.gif

My last trip, which was to the Tundra had a total weight limit of 65 pounds, for all gear including Rifle and Airline approved case. Really could not justify allocating 1/3 the weight just for the rifle. A <9 pound sporter did the job. YMMV

Good luck

Jerry

My buddy has a Remington 700 Alaskan Titanium in 270 WSM that shoots "pretty good". Pretty lightweight.

I bought a Remington 700 Titanium in 260 Remington. It just wouldn't shoot. Couldn't hit a pie-plate @ 100yds. Super lightweight though.

Purchased a Remington 700 SPS stainless in 270 WSM. It's heavier, but it shoots great.

I've been toying with the idea of having a gunsmith "merge" these two into a lightweight rifle that shoots well.

I may still do that, although I keep thinking maybe a short-action 284 Winchester might be the way to go.

As far as weight, I think 8lbs is about max, although balance is just as important.

Call me a wimp all you want. I don't care. I'm old, borderline COPD and still hunt.

Also being an old infantryman (back when infantry walked), I learn every ounce counts.

I hunt with two rifles, a Model 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts (deer and antelope) and a Model 70 Featherweight in 270 Win (for elk).

The 257 is a tad ligther, but the 270 Feather eight weighs right at 7 lbs, the scope (Weaver K-4) weights 9.9 oz.

I see no reason to carry a heavier rifles, these two will do anything that needs done for the hunting I do.

My target rifles are a bit heavier. An example my AR I use in High Power weighs in at 13 lbs. But I only have to carry it from the truck to the firing line.

Call me a wimp all you want, but I know how to travel light. I can and have carried everything I need for a 100 mile, 10 day, Cross Country Ski above the arctic circle with a pack that wieghted right at 30 lbs and had every thing I needed including a tent and sleeping bag.

Reactions: Blutroop

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call me a wimp all you want. I don't care. I'm old, borderline COPD and still hunt.

Also being an old infantryman (back when infantry walked), I learn every ounce counts.

I hunt with two rifles, a Model 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts (deer and antelope) and a Model 70 Featherweight in 270 Win (for elk).

The 257 is a tad ligther, but the 270 Feather eight weighs right at 7 lbs, the scope (Weaver K-4) weights 9.9 oz.

I see no reason to carry a heavier rifles, these two will do anything that needs done for the hunting I do.

My target rifles are a bit heavier. An example my AR I use in High Power weighs in at 13 lbs. But I only have to carry it from the truck to the firing line.

Call me a wimp all you want, but I know how to travel light. I can and have carried everything I need for a 100 mile, 10 day, Cross Country Ski above the arctic circle with a pack that wieghted right at 30 lbs and had every thing I needed including a tent and sleeping bag. </div></div>

Your are spot on Kraig. Work smarter not harder and when you get a few years behind you your body will have less reminders of how dumb you were when your youth was abundant.

I have 2 I hunt with, funny but both weigh right at 7 lbs. 4 ozs. all up with scope. One is a Kampfeld/Borden .243Win the other is a Beanland 7mm-08.

But, weight is not the only thing to consider, IMHO for me its just as important in how they balance - before Jon redid my 7mm-08 the thing just was way out of balance and didn't "feel" right when you carried it, now its perfect and feels like it weighs much less than it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Keep it light (under 8 lbs total) and your legs, back, and shoulders will thank you. </div></div>

Weakling.....

laugh.gif
</div></div>

OK, OK! I was only kidding!
cry.gif

Went yesterday for what I thought would be a leisurely morning of glassing clearcuts. I brought my 17 lb. 260 remington with suppressor. Piece of cake as it was supposed to be a leisurely morning of glassing clearcuts (right?) and home by noon regardless. Easy Peasy. Hunting partner had other plans it turned out….

By the time we got to near the bottom of the Lawson Creek Drainage and had essentially bushwhacked the 1.2 mile obstacle course created by the Biscuit Fire, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_Fire, a serious problem was discovered; the bolt from my Bighorn action was no longer in the action! What a great opportunity, I get to do it all again while staring at the ground trying to retrace my steps up that fiendishly steep overgrown and log strewn path that once resembled a trail.

Two hours later I found my bolt. Sheer luck.

I'd left the rifle at the bottom since without the bolt it was just dead weight and the mountain had needed to be reclimbed. Once back at the bottom I rejoined my partner and we carried on the hunt for a few hours predator calling a location where my partner had seen a large cinnamon bear during elk archery season. No luck though.

On the way back up (the second time for me), I swear the rifle quadrupled in weight. I longed for my Kimber Montana 270wsm and its mere 6.5 lbs. If another hunter had wandered by with a featherweight or similar, I swear I'd have swapped straight across and eaten the $2000 or so difference in value.

This is the day after that experience. It hurts. Everything. In any event, I'm sure I'll be able to walk normally again soon.

Light is right.

Cheers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep it under 20lbs and call it good. :eek:)</div></div>

Pretty much. Larger game at moderate to longer distances needs enough ballistic energy and momentum remaining to get the job done cleanly. IMO a .338x250 bullet @ 2800-3000fps is about right.

But, with good glass, 26-28 inch heavy contour bbl, A5 stock, and a handful of rounds you're at 13-16 pounds. Which for the associated recoil is comfortable. Normally I'd be carrying the rifle with a biathlon sling most of the time anyway, and only hand-carry it when things are about to get interesting.

Sooner or later a heavy carcass will have to be packed out in pieces, each many times the weight of the rifle. A couple of pounds more or less won't make a lot of difference in the whole load. If you just have to hike a few miles back to the horses instead or ATV and let them do the carrying, that's going to be very low packing weight. Can't relate to trying to shave a few ounces off a rifle, and getting bad accuracy and your teeth rattled as a result.

I run a Tikka T3 in .270 with a SWFA 3x9 and really like the weight and balance. I tried the Kimber Montana and found out it just does not balance well for me. The Tikka was not much heavier and settles in nicely. I dont have a total weight but I would not call it heavy. How you carry the rifle also matters for me, I use the Kifaru Gunbearer and love it, takes all the weight and puts it on your hips.

WinM70270.jpg

8.9 pounds with scope, sling, bipod, and ammo.
270 featherweight 22" Pac Nor Barrel
M70 pre '64 action
Bordon Rimrock stock
Leupold 2x7
Harris swivel bi pod

VZ247mmRM.jpg

11 pounds with rear bag, scope, sling, bipod, and ammo.
7mmRemMag Lothar Walther 26" barrel 1300 taper
VZ24 surplus military Mauser action
High Tech Specialties stock [Bansner, Kimber]
Kahles 2.5x10 scope
Dog-gone-good rear bag
PAWS bottom metal
Limbsaver recoil pad
Harris swivel bi-pod

Depends on the type of shooting your doing while hunting. I usually take two rifles...one heavy rifle and one sporter weight rifle. The sporters get used much more because they are handier and much easier to shoot out of position. Here in the midwest, we hunt quite a bit out of trees or in thick brush where you can't go prone. You'll appreciate a rifle under 9 lbs set-up.

My hunting rifle is a late 80's Model 70 30.06 w/ a 3.5-10x40 VX-3. It weighs 9 lbs 8 oz w/ scope & sling.

If I were to go on a mountain hunt I'd want something 2 lbs lighter. I could probably restock the Win into a lightweight stock and get there.

A friend has a 7mm SAUM that weighs 6.5 lbs w/ scope. It is a M700 Ti action with a carbon fiber sleeved barrel. It isn't fun to shoot but it is awesome to carry. It is accurate and he's put down quite a few animals with it from sheep to deer to caribou up to about 500 yds.

I've carried my .350 Rem. Model 7KS (Custom Shop offering, when I oordered it in 1985) all over the elk woods of the Mid-West. Not a "top of the line" scope by most standards, the 2.5x8 Leupold, and a nylon carrying "sling" brings the total weight up to 6 3/4 lbs.

Balance of the rifle can play a part in how heavy a rifle weighs. Just 3 weeks back for our general season elk hunt I brought two rifles. A very custom Pre 64 M70 in 257 Roberts with a #2, 24" CM barrel and a custom Pierce in 6.5x47 with a 24" #3 Broughton in a McMillian Rem Sporter with Edge fill. The Pierce was carried by a friend due to his rifle problems. After about 10 hours of slogging through a deadfall forest, I ended up carrying his (my) Pierce for a bit. It felt much heavier than the 257. I had to verify the weights on a very accurate postal scale at home. The 257 weighed 9 lb 1 oz and the 6.5x47 weighed 8 lb 10 oz. Nearly a half lb difference yet the heavier/well balanced 257 Rob felt lighter. So, very soon the 6.5x47 is back to the 'smith to have the action lightened and the barrel shank turned down and possibly shortened. I might also replace the NF 2.5-10 with a 4 oz lighter VX3 4.5-14x40mm from Greybull Precision. Hope to loose about 1-2 lbs overall.

6.5x47

I cover a long distance hiking when hunting, my advice is keep is at light as possible, as well as any hardware you carry with you. The lighter you keep everything, the faster you can respond when hunting.

I just dropped off a load of parts with my Smith. This will be what I consider a "lighter" rifle compared to what most of them in my safe are.

Manners MCS-T
Rem700 SA
Krieger #5 barrel @ 23" (way smaller than what I normally get)
Williams bottom metal
NF one piece rail
NF Ultralight rings
And most likely a Leupold 6.5-20x50 optic when it's ready.
This will be chambered in 6.5x47L. It should come in under 10lbs and will be much lighter than what I've been toting recently.

I'm still kinda young, but I've spent a fair amount of time going up and down the Rockies. Maybe as i get older, I'll get wiser and the weight of my rifles will get lighter.

Reactions: BagleyOutdoors

I just dropped off a load of parts with my Smith. This will be what I consider a "lighter" rifle compared to what most of them in my safe are.

Manners MCS-T
Rem700 SA
Krieger #5 barrel @ 23" (way smaller than what I normally get)
Williams bottom metal
NF one piece rail
NF Ultralight rings
And most likely a Leupold 6.5-20x50 optic when it's ready.
This will be chambered in 6.5x47L. It should come in under 10lbs and will be much lighter than what I've been toting recently.

I'm still kinda young, but I've spent a fair amount of time going up and down the Rockies. Maybe as i get older, I'll get wiser and the weight of my rifles will get lighter.

Hard to believe that was 7 years ago. Still have that rifle. It’s been a good one.

Reactions: tomcfc11
I'm liking lighter and lighter by the day. Current hunting rifles are less than 7# all up.

Always amusing to read these threads here, I’m surprised there was only one reply saying a guy’s a puss if he doesn’t want to tote a 15# rifle up a mountain.

I like tikka t3 lites, with Leupolds that end up at a less than 7.5# all up, or a little over 8# with suppressor. I have a tikka ctr with an Swfa ss 3-9 that’s my “heavy rig”. I grab the lites every time when I go hunting, and I’m not climbing mountains. If I was I’d be looking into a Barret fieldcraft. Lots of reports on those on 24hourcampfire

For mountain hunting, it depends on the tactic. If I'm hiking, I prefer a lighter 7mm Remington. If I'm sitting over a travel corridor on a ridge top, then I'll take a 14lb 300 Rum. All suppressed if legal in that state.

M70 classic stainless featherweight in .308. Barrel cut to 20”, blind mag McMillan edge, Leupold 2.5-8x36 in talleys. 6.66 pounds scoped. The bolt can’t fall out when you have a proper safety. ?

M70 classic stainless featherweight in .308. Barrel cut to 20”, blind mag McMillan edge, Leupold 2.5-8x36 in talleys. 6.66 pounds scoped. The bolt can’t fall out when you have a proper safety. ?

Looks like AZ Coues hunting.

In the mountains with lots of hiking go as light as you can handle the recoil.

My "do it all" rifle is a 308 Win with an 18" fluted barrel. Sendero contour. B&C M40 stock and a SWFA 3-15x. Total weight is right at 10lbs. Not including bipod. Its not overly heavy. Though I wouldnt mind it being 1-2 lbs lighter. I walk about a mile+ into my coyote honey hole. And back. And ill tell you, im ready to set the gun down when I get home. And im 34 and in shape. Southeast ohio has lots of hills.

These 15lb+ "sniper" rifles are a fantasy if youre really in the SHIT and on the move a lot. Youre going to die of exhaustion.