• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting scope season - the best of the cheapest?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    The Fall season is fast approaching, and the annual question from the co-workers is always identical; what deer-hunting scope should I buy? And I can only spend $200-$300 . . . .

In this price range, I admit I try and prioritize reliability over optical performance. These same co-workers stretching their hard-earned dollar always seem to be the folks abusing their equipment. Heavy recoiling rifles aside, I'm talking about the drops from the back the tailgate, and the trips down endless two-track trails at eighty miles an hour. That said, the top of my list always includes the Burris Fullfield E1 for a very specific reason (direct from their website below)

I have noticed however that referencing erector reliability is not something explicitly stated by many manufacturers. I thought I read something about it from Leupold a few years ago, but I can't find it currently. And I'm not even sure if all of Burris's Fullfield scopes include this feature. For example, the Burris Fullfield IV makes no mention of this. Is it just assumed?

So the question is; can anyone confirm what other makes and models of "cheap scope" prioritize erector reliability? I'd like to know what other options in this price range are available.

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:
    Save a little bit more and get one of these... I have been enjoying mine for about a year now. So far, no issues.

There are several torture tests on YouTube, and they seem to be extremely reliable and pretty damn tough.

Reactions: z71rat
    For hunting I’ve always used the Burris Fullfield E1 you listed with great results.

Reactions: glock24
    I have a full field E1, and although basic, it gets the job done. Glass is decent, but very useable. I haven’t used and abused it, but it has held zero and I’ve had no issues.

The best cheap hunting scope that works is the swfa 6x with mil quad reticle.

It's probably the best hunting scope period, if not for it's sibling the swfa 3-9.

Save a little bit more and get one of these... I have been enjoying mine for about a year now. So far, no issues.

There are several torture tests on YouTube, and they seem to be extremely reliable and pretty damn tough.

The people he’s talking about want a simple set and forget SFP scope. They don’t want to be searching for the reticle in low light. They also don’t want a 2# scope. It’s great that you like Arken but not everyone wants a heavy ffp that has a thin reticle when hunting the thick brushy stuff under 100 yards. The Arken intrigues me enough that I want to try one someday, I’m just not in a hurry yet.

Im with OP in recommending a Burris FF2 to others that ask about scopes. Cheap and hold zero with adequate glass for hunting. The new FF4 is Chinese so we’ll have to wait and see how that pans out durability wise.

Last edited:
    The people he’s talking about want a simple set and forget SFP scope. They don’t want to be searching for the reticle in low light. They also don’t want a 2# scope. It’s great that you like Arken but not everyone wants a heavy ffp that has a thin reticle when hunting the thick brushy stuff under 100 yards. The Arken intrigues me enough that I want to try one someday, I’m just not in a hurry yet.

Im with OP in recommending a Burris FF2 to others that ask about scopes. Cheap and hold zero with adequate glass for hunting. The new FF4 is Chinese so we’ll have to wait and see how that pans out durability wise.
    Just felt like it was a better option than any $200-300 scope out there. At that price, they’re all Chinesium.

Just felt like it was a better option than any $200-300 scope out there. At that price, they’re all Chinesium.

Fullfield E1 is Philipines and while I like the SH4 Gen2, it is heavier than I would want to put on a normal hunting rifle that will mostly be shot within MPBR. There is also a matter of exposed turrets that are fairly large. That's not ideal for a normal hunting rifle.

To the OP: for a while now, if you want a simple hunting scope under $300, the standard choice would be either Burris Fullfield II/Fullfield E1 to Vortex DIamondback. Both hail from the Phillipines, have been made for a long time and are generally robust.

The dual spring business is mostly marketing. There are many different spring configurations in use by different scope manufacturers and for quality makers, most of the work fine: Sightron's ExactTrack, Burris's dual spring, etc.

I know that a couple of other manufacturers figured out that the niche of robust inexpensive hunting scopes is somewhat underserved, so there are a couple coming. For example, SIghtron refreshed their S1 into S1 G2 and it looks quite promising.

Sig's Whiskey3 also hails from the Phillipines and there are good deals on them.

If you want something made in Japan, the least expensive option is SWFA's fixed 6x, if you are OK with fixed power and exposed turrets. For a Japanese made variable, you generally have to step up to something like Trijicon Ascent or Huron which start in the $450 range. The only exception to that I can think is this one remaining Sightron SII Big Sky 4-16x42 Midway has: https://www.midwayusa.com/ltd/product?pid=393712 This is an older design and it still has AO, but these are really nice optically and quite robust.

ILya

Reactions: glock24
    Fullfield E1 is Philipines and while I like the SH4 Gen2, it is heavier than I would want to put on a normal hunting rifle that will mostly be shot within MPBR. There is also a matter of exposed turrets that are fairly large. That's not ideal for a normal hunting rifle.

ILya
    You won't get an argument from me about that. I do agree, it's quiet the heavy and bulky optic that is more of a niche hunting scope, but leans towards the tactical/BR/LR side of things. My SH4's feel more manageable than my EP5 for some reason. That thing is a tank, but for the money, I honestly don't think it can be beat. The ED glass is a noticeable step-up over the SH4 Gen2 (through my eyes). And also IMO, a step up in glass when comparing it side-by-side with my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C. Granted, the SE is much lighter, and I like the locking turrets a lot! Kind of wish the Arkens had the locking turrets, but it is what it is. Both are great scopes, both with pros and cons. I have found the Arkens to be excellent bench/tactical scopes (due to weight). But the SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 VPR I put on my 20" 6.5 Grendel build is very manageable in weight.

I agree with you on the SWFA SS. If they want lightweight, and solid, with pretty good glass, the SWFA SS 3-15x42 MQ is a really good scope. But the 3-15x version is a bit out of the $300 price range. I still have a few of them laying around. Like you said, made in Japan. Lifetime warranty. Decent glass (especially for the price). The exposed turrets are ok...Not great, but they track well. Kinda spongy, and only 5 MILs per rev, but overall a decent optic for the price. They do lack a simple zero-stop (something like the simple Arken or Vortex RevStop setup), which would be a nice feature, and fairly cheap to add into their production process.

We have had excellent service with the Leupold Freedom scopes. Not in the class of an ATACR a ZCO or even a Leupold 5HD but we have excellent luck using a Leupold Freedom is sitting on top of Primitive Rifle (CVA .35 Whelen which is legal primitive in Louisiana. With this rifle scope combination we have taken 4 deer in all kind of conditions.

I have a Leupold VX-3HD on my muzzle loader. The CDS dial with ZL is great. Nice FOV and glass. Very happy with it.
    0FDA2162-8B95-4012-9D96-947865D2CD8E.jpeg

I killed a lot of deer with a VX2 3-9.

Pretty easy to hold over 200 and 300 yd shots.
    Worked for me.

Other option is a Vortex.
    You know why. 😉

My vx3i that sits on my 223 fell on its face the other day. I ran it out to 400 and it tracked fine. Then I went back down to 200 and the elevation was all over the place.

• Haha
    Reactions: gopherslayer