• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting scope without spending a fortune....

goindeep

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
I am looking to spend a little cash for light transmission....hunting purposes only, deep south 250 yards and in. I currently have two Vortex Vipers with 30mm tubes and one Viper with the 1 inch tube...looking at Meopta, Zeiss or anything else? The Meopta really has my eye currently because of the new lighted reticle. So basically, am I missing anything in the 4-900 dollar range?

This new Vortex series should probably be on your list of ideas:

Don't let the price on their website scare you away.
Contact Scott at Liberty Optics and Greg at CameraLandNY and see what deal they can make you on the one you want.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
You want light transmission, look at 50-56mm objectives since that will typically control exit pupil.

The benefit of the 50-56mm is even in near darkness you stil have 7-8x magnifcation available to you, since its still giving you that 6-7mm exit pupil size (~largest pupil opening your eye can open to). For 300 yds and in, maybe try something like a 3-12 x 50.

The 30mm vs 34mm etc tube sizes typically don't directly imact light transimission, but more often have to due with the mechanics of the erector sets controlling your elevation adjustments. I would say you are fine with 30mm for light weight in a hunting scope for 300 and in you don't need a ton of elevation adjustment.

OP next step would typically be to specify what magnification range and what your weight limits are.

Reactions: Bakwa
I am looking to spend a little cash for light transmission....hunting purposes only, deep south 250 yards and in. I currently have two Vortex Vipers with 30mm tubes and one Viper with the 1 inch tube...looking at Meopta, Zeiss or anything else? The Meopta really has my eye currently because of the new lighted reticle. So basically, am I missing anything in the 4-900 dollar range?

I also have a pst2 3-15 and the lht is brighter overall and is better in low light. Not that the pst2 is bad the lht is just a bit better as well as a lot lighter. Imo the lht also has an excellent eyebox on 3x for offhand shooting.

Downsides are the turrets aren't the greatest and on that sale model the focus isn't marked.

Reactions: 81STFACP and Bakwa

Or find a nice used Kahles Helia KX or KXi.

Razor HD-LHT 3-15x should be on your list.

That having been said, if you do not need to dial and for your distances you probably do not, you could de really well with Swarovski Z3 4-12x50.

If you can find a used Swarovski Z5i 2.4-12x50, it would be even better, but Z3 is quite nice optically as well.

ILya

I just purchased a Burris SFP 3x15 Signature for about $420 with all the discounts from Cabelas for my Ruger No 1 25-06.

Researched a lot of scopes (Zeiss, Meopta, Vortex, Bushnell) for hunting and zero’ed in on Leupold & Burris as I wanted hold overs and locking turrets.

I looked hard at the VX-3HD but to my eyes looking outside at 300 to 1000 yds the Burris was clearer.

Plus Burris has a lighted reticle, no fault warranty and the price was less than the VX-3HD.

Last edited:
I think the safe bet is the razor LHT. Pretty solid bang for your buck. Pretty sure you can catch them on sale for sub $900.

Been pleased with my Vortex Venom. Reasonably priced.

Actually I retract my previous statement. I don’t have any first hand use of this one but I’ve read good things. And if they are anything close to my dmr2 pro, which it should bc it has the Ed prime glass, you won’t be disappointed. So if I had your budget, for a hunting scope, I’d buy one of these.

Actually I retract my previous statement. I don’t have any first hand use of this one but I’ve read good things. And if they are anything close to my dmr2 pro, which it should bc it has the Ed prime glass, you won’t be disappointed. So if I had your budget, for a hunting scope, I’d buy one of these.

Seconded. The LRHS2 is pretty legit, especially for the price.

I have an LRHS Gen 1. Great hunting scope, and pretty decent target scope too. I am sure the Gen 2's are even better.

save some weight by going with 1inch tube and 40mm lense,

you dont really need 30 and 34mm tubes, or 50mm on hunting scopes.

Perhaps too much of a target scope for you; but you could also consider this:

Athlon Optics Ares ETR 3-18x50/4.5-30x56​

I've been looking at these, the LHRS2 and the Vortex LHT 4.5-22.

Those 1 inch tube Razor hunting scopes were pretty nice. I really like my 2-10, I know they made a 3-15 with adjustable parallax also.

In my limited experience, Meoptas are pretty bright.

A used LRHS/LRTS is an excellent option as well.

Vortex must be reading Lowlight's posts.. 0.6 mil... mph rifle/ammo combo

I have two of these for the reticle simplicity and wind correction simplicity. Not a crowded reticle is a plus to me.

Screenshot_20211020-192035_Chrome.jpg

Yep, vortex 3x12x56 . You'll love it .
I get about an extra 5-10 minutes of light early morning and evening with it .
great scope , they are around 379$
It's big , but it's worth it . It has a lighted 1 moa center dot in the crosshairs too .

You are on the right track. Meopta MeoStar glass is known for light transmission. There is hardly a review on MeoStar glass that doesn't mention how great they are in low light conditions. I'll be using my MeoStar R1 3-10x50 again this hunting season. I have mine on a .308 Win and dialed in for point-blank on 6-inch vitals. Took an 8-year-old buck last year at 222 yards at the last few min of legal shooting time. You won't be disappointed with any MeoStar optic.

Reactions: Kalthoff
Nobody has meantioned Leica. For MPBR type scopes Leica has IMO the best glass out of anyone. I have owned and still own some Swaro, S and B, Premier, Zeiss, and Meopta; but for brightness nobody compares. You may not be able to get one new at 900, but used they sell for that all the time.

I would say look at something 1x-6 or 8 in the upper part of your price range. If youwant to spend a little more the razor 1-6 or creedo 1-8 are good. I hunt in GA and these ranges seem to work better than starting at 3x or 4x. On 1x they like having a red dot but you crank it up if need be. Just my 2 cents.

I have run a couple of Meopta Meopros on hunting rifles the past few years. Similar to your hunting grounds…..woods and fields out to 350 yards max. They have served me well and have accounted for many dead deer and hogs…..4-12x50 on a Tikka T3 .30-06 and a 3.5-10x44 on a Tikka T3 7mm-08.

However, this past year I really noticed as our season wound down I was having a difficult time with light transmission the last 5-10 minutes or so of legal shooting light. To the point of even checking the time to make sure I was not hunting too late. And this was within the last couple weeks of season which ends on Feb 10. I don’t know if it involves the angle of the sun relative to that time of year and how it and light travels over the horizon….or just age catching up to me but the struggle was real….and of course much worse in the woods. Reason I say the sun angle is the first part of season in the open fields we fret over the legal hunting time when it is still light enough to see without a scope or binos.

I have upgraded to a S&B Polar on my primary rifle this year to try and amplify my light transmission…….we’ll see how it works out. If it is more age than scope at least I can say I have upgraded this rifle from one end of the scope spectrum to the other (rifle originally had a Nikon many years ago)😁

All of the above being said I still have my Meopta’s and they will get used this year, in my experience a quality product. And I also think they have glass a step above the Meopro so look into that as well.

Reactions: bman940