• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting scope?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
What type of scope are you guys using on your hunting rigs. I a mainly talking about deer hunting. I am in the process of building a new hunting rifle (.308), and was pondering on new scope. So i was just checking out what you all are using. Thanks guys..

Deer in the woods, Leupy VX-R 2-7x33 with cds, set for a 300 MPBR, can dial up for cross canyon shot. The small illuminated dot makes for quick acquisition and it is not too bright.

Plains deer and antelope, Vortex 4-16x44 HS LR with 1/2 moa elevation.

Whats your budget? You get anything from $100 to the skys the limit. Whats your need (range, etc)?

Nikon prostaff 3-9 on R700 .243 for hunting in the woods from treestand....leupold MK4 4.5-14 on R700 ltr .308 for hunting fields

vortex viper 2-7x33, minox 2-10, burris fullfield II 3-9. Depends on a lot of factors. My opinion is out to 400 yards no need to go over 9 power unless you are trying to score a buck with your scope as well. For up close and personal I don't like anything over 4x, and feel the lower the better.

leupold vx-3 3.5-10-40 mil dot target turrets. looking to get into a ffp vortex pst 4-16. It doesn't hurt to dream

My opinion is out to 400 yards no need to go over 9 power unless you are trying to score a buck with your scope as well. For up close and personal I don't like anything over 4x, and feel the lower the better.

For elk hunting here in WA, we have to have 3 points or better, so I run higher-power scopes. Leica 3.5-14 and Swaro Z5 3.5-18, both excellent. Low enough power to use in dark timber at close range, high enough top end to count points at distance.

I have been happy with 3.5-10x50 leupold. I recently picked up a 3-18x44 just couldn't help myself. I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Something different: my dad, brother, and I all use NXS 5.5-22. However, we hunt in western KS where everything is pretty open and shots are usually taken at decent distance. I think it largely depends on what type of area you hunt, the distances, and what kind of weight you don't mind packing around.

I love my Kales with TDS reticle, but I also have one of the new burris 3-9s with their E1 reticle, and I think it has to be one of the best hunting scopes I have seen for under $250!! Lots of good options out there tho...

I shoot everything with my Nightforce 5.5-22 x56 but we hunt beanfield style and weight is not an issue. For a lighter weight solution, check out the Zeiss VM/V if money is not an issue.

I've heard great things about the Vortex but have never held one. How do they compare with NF and Zeiss?

I like to run 4-16x on my hunting rifles.
Nikons, BSA, Tascos for the last 40 yrs without a fault to any of them in all weather, rain, snow, mud etc.
I dont have the need to drop big $$, just drop the game which I always do when I hunt.

Last edited:
I have bushnell elites, lupy 3-9x40, pentax lightseekers on my hunting rifles. Sometimes I hunt with my target rifles (NF/HDMR) but the optics first mentions have always been good to me, and all under $700. Never tried Nikon or Tasco or else but several hunters like them as well. I like finding a good hunting load and zero. All mine have held perfect for last few years. Good luck!

Looks like the majority of preference so far is for low-variable power scope for hunting .

me, 3.5-14 Leu. LPS .

I have nightforce NXS scopes now but looking to try March scopes due to weight. If money isnt the issue look at the March 2.5-25x42. It is a pound lighter than the nighforce NXS.

A Bushnell Elite 4200 in 3-9 or 4-12 with the DOA reticle will serve you well for around $600. Mine is on a .223 I shoot coyotes with. Zeiss makes some awesome hunting scopes if your budget is high enough. Depends on what you need it for. Hunting in the timber is considerably different than hunting wide open fields. With a 3-9 or 4-12 though you generally can't go too far wrong.