• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting South Texas

Arno

LTC
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2005
FT Bragg
Im in the Army and Im on TDY until the end of NOV at FT Sam and I would like to set myself up a hunt while Im down here. Anybody on the forum know somebody I could hook up with to do big game or varmint hunt in South Texas?

Re: Hunting South Texas

I grew up in South Texas hunting..
if you want to go on a Trophy buck hunt be prepared to drop some serious money

Can also vouch for Randy and Gerald with Nighthogs out of Seguin

I may be able to arrange a hunt on our property, let me talk to the ranch manager

apply for a special permit to hunt Nilgai on the Laguna Atascosa Federal Wildlife Refuge out of Brownsville. Also you can do a guy a favor, and accompany a Wounded Warrior on one of their hunts.

Disclaimer: I am a friend of the Spanish Gourd.

Keith Taylor manages the hunting aspect of the Spanish Gourd. IMO, he is an expert at what he does. He has multiple feeders spread over thousands of acres. He has game cameras that he checks all the time. Keith takes the pictures and studies the deer, feeding habits, growth progress, etc. He studies the land and what it is produces. His uncle was one of the best biologist I know (Fred Leon).

Note: There was many mornings where I would be in a blind while Keith would take notes and study a buck. I would be looking at it through my scope w/the rifle on safety, hand completely around the stock. Even though I was looking at this huge Texas buck...I did not get buck fever or nothing because I knew I would not be letting one fly.

I have always had a great time when I go out there. The Coates family (owner of the Sanish Gourd) really knows how to take care of its guest.

The landscape is rocky. They have a couple of vehicles to drive around the ranch. It is an adventure in itself.

Keith...you should post some pictures of some of the animals taken....just saying.

Tom on this site has taken a couple animals from the Gourd. Maybe he will post some pictures as well.

Hope this helps.
-Al

You might also want to try hunting on Camp Bullis since you are military. They allow bow and rifle hunting.