• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Hunting w/Suppressor in New Mexico

HTX_17

Lurker Extraordinaire
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Houston
I’m a TX resident and will be traveling to New Mexico for a Pronghorn hunt next week. My understanding is that A) it’s legal to hunt in NM w/a suppressor and B) There used to be an ATF requirement regarding notification of transporting a suppressor across state lines but this is no longer the case.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for the input

No answer for you... But I would call new Mexican game warden and here it from the horses mouth...

I am interested to hear answer on ATF

Suppressors do not require paper work to cross state lines. Some say that it was never required for suppressors. I do not know that for sure. Either way. The answer to that is A: on the ATF website and B: on your tax stamp (if 1999 or newer for sure, maybe older) read the fine print. Says nothing about paper work for travel for a suppressor. Just everything BUT suppressors.

Reactions: Holliday
From ATF website:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/i-have-nfa-firearm-and-i’m-moving-what-do-i-do

A registered possessor of an NFA firearm, other than an FFL/SOT, may not lawfully transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, without prior written approval of ATF, specifically the NFA Branch. Approval for the transportation may be obtained by either a written request, or an approved application filed with ATF on Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms. Please note that applications to transport NFA firearms will be approved only if consistent with all State and local laws.
[18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(4); 27 C.F.R. § 478.28]
Last Reviewed September 23, 2016

Yep, as I said, on the the ATF web site AND on the tax stamp. no mention of suppressors.

Per all my tax stamps, (12)
INTERSTATE MOVEMENT: if the firearm identified in item 4 is a machinegun, SBR, SBS or Destructive device, the registrant may be required by 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) to obtain permission from the ATF prior to any transportation in interstate or foreign commerce.

99% of all the answers needed are on the stamp.

Last edited:
NM has no law regarding hunting with a suppressor. You can bring it across the state line. NM is really just Texas occupied territory anyway :)

Reactions: HTX_17
Are we hunting those fucks that had that compound that just had the charges dismissed? If so count me in. I won’t use a suppressor though, I want them to hear it.