• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Hunting Whitetails with FGGM

Re: Hunting Whitetails with FGGM

yeah, the same dumbshits who hunt with SMKs. If you get a perfect broadside shot and slip it between the ribs, it will blow up like a varmint bullet and kill very dead. If you hit any heavy bones, you'll have a mess and probably a lost animal. With all the excellent hunting bullets available, why use a bullet that says MATCH for hunting? A Sierra game king or Nosler BT is almost as accurate (3 MOA will kill any whitetail that lives) and are designed to kill things not make holes in paper.

It will work, but again with all the choices, just go get a hunting round. Look into what barnes has these days. Its not exactly cheep, but then again niether is FGMM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah, the same dumbshits who hunt with SMKs. If you get a perfect broadside shot and slip it between the ribs, it will blow up like a varmint bullet and kill very dead. If you hit any heavy bones, you'll have a mess and probably a lost animal. With all the excellent hunting bullets available, why use a bullet that says MATCH for hunting? A Sierra game king or Nosler BT is almost as accurate (3 MOA will kill any whitetail that lives) and are designed to kill things not make holes in paper. </div></div>

Bumble,

I'll respectfully disagree.

A Nosler BT is much more violent then a SMK. If you used them, or had any real data other than hearsay, you'd know.

wco24u

SMK's are designed like many of the poplar hunting bullets and have been used for years. If your rifle shoots the FGMM accurately go with it and don't hesitate.

Weda' is right. Shoot whatever is accurate in your rifle and pick your shots. The SMK's work fine. Shot placement is the key with any bullet. This is with 308 Black Hills Match 175 SMK's, same difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 MOA will kill any whitetail that lives</div></div>
Depends on the shot placement chosen.

2008ComptonRanch117.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah, the same dumbshits who hunt with SMKs. If you get a perfect broadside shot and slip it between the ribs, it will blow up like a varmint bullet and kill very dead. If you hit any heavy bones, you'll have a mess and probably a lost animal. With all the excellent hunting bullets available, why use a bullet that says MATCH for hunting? A Sierra game king or Nosler BT is almost as accurate (3 MOA will kill any whitetail that lives) and are designed to kill things not make holes in paper. </div></div>

Bumble,

I'll respectfully disagree.

A Nosler BT is much more violent then a SMK. If you used them, or had any real data other than hearsay, you'd know.

wco24u

SMK's are designed like many of the poplar hunting bullets and have been used for years. If your rifle shoots the FGMM accurately go with it and don't hesitate. </div></div>

+200 dead is dead!! I have no problems using them, and my buddies that have used them have never had a problem. And YES I have shitloads of experience with them.. Bergers work really well also..

I've never shot a deer with a SMK or with FGGM, but I have quite a bit of experience with the Nosler BT's and AB's. I shoot .300 win mag and WSM with the 180 grain pills. I've always had great performance from the Ballistic Tips, and never had an animal that went very far even with a heart and lung shot. I typically hunt for meat so many times I'll just take the head or neck shot. I've never had one truly "grenade" even at .300 win mag velocities, but I've had some that cause a little bit more damage than I might have wanted. From a .308 I don't think you'd have that problem at all, but I could be mistaken.

I've found that the Nosler Accubonds shot almost identical to the BT's, but they stay together better. They have a little bit thicker jacket and the close is slightly different. I think if you're going to hit hard bone or need more penetration the AB's hold together better and that's what I prefer to use. Either way, all of these bullets will work, if the hunter is wise enough to choose his shot properly. I would prefer to use a hunting bullet for hunting, but that's just me.

I guess it comes down to a question of "why". There are so many fine hunting bullets out there, "why" use a bullet designed by the manufacturer to punch paper not flesh? I don't see any self defense experts advocating the use of 185 gr wadcutter loads in the 45 acp for self defense, so why would anyone use the rifle surrogate for hunting? Weda and his butt buddy know perfectly well that I prefer Barnes TSXs or TTSXs for hunting because they always do the job. Most African PHs suggest TSXs to clients for the same reason. When that 250 pound 12 pointer is heading due south and you shoot him up the ass with a FGMM, you'll get my drift, as it won't get through the paunch. The same shot with a 168 TSX would go end to end and probably exit as well.
But again: "why"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When that 250 pound 12 pointer is heading due south and you shoot him up the ass ................. But again: "why"? </div></div>

"Why" in the hell would you be shooting a deer up the ass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"Why" in the hell would you be shooting a deer up the ass? </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it comes down to a question of "why". When that 250 pound 12 pointer is heading due south and you shoot him up the ass with a FGMM, you'll get my drift, as it won't get through the paunch. The same shot with a 168 TSX would go end to end and probably exit as well.
But again: "why"? </div></div>

Because ONLY YOU, the clay-brained dimwit, shoot them up the ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it comes down to a question of "why". There are so many fine hunting bullets out there, "why" use a bullet designed by the manufacturer to punch paper not flesh? I don't see any self defense experts advocating the use of 185 gr wadcutter loads in the 45 acp for self defense, so why would anyone use the rifle surrogate for hunting? Weda and his butt buddy know perfectly well that I prefer Barnes TSXs or TTSXs for hunting because they always do the job. Most African PHs suggest TSXs to clients for the same reason. When that 250 pound 12 pointer is heading due south and you shoot him up the ass with a FGMM, you'll get my drift, as it won't get through the paunch. The same shot with a 168 TSX would go end to end and probably exit as well.

Why would anyone draw an analogy of self defense vs hunting.

Albeit I bet that wadcutter at 10 ft would make the bad guy do back flips.

Why would anyone sacrifice accuracy?

Why didn't Jeff buy me flowers after being my butt buddy?
Jeff, I like Peach roses...

It amazes me how this dipshit blasts long range hunting as unethical, then sings the praises of shooting a deer up the ass.
rolleye0007.gif
This level of hipocrisy can only be found on the internet.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It amazes me how this dipshit blasts long range hunting as unethical, then sings the praises of shooting a deer up the ass.
rolleye0007.gif
This level of hipocrisy can only be found on the internet..... </div></div>

+1 So true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it comes down to a question of "why". There are so many fine hunting bullets out there, "why" use a bullet designed by the manufacturer to punch paper not flesh? I don't see any self defense experts advocating the use of 185 gr wadcutter loads in the 45 acp for self defense, so why would anyone use the rifle surrogate for hunting? Weda and his butt buddy know perfectly well that I prefer Barnes TSXs or TTSXs for hunting because they always do the job. Most African PHs suggest TSXs to clients for the same reason. When that 250 pound 12 pointer is heading due south and you shoot him up the ass with a FGMM, you'll get my drift, as it won't get through the paunch. The same shot with a 168 TSX would go end to end and probably exit as well.

As CKA once opined: do you ever shut the fuck up?

I can't believe you are advocating that "Texas Heart Shot" bullshit yet again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When that 250 pound 12 pointer is heading due south and you shoot him up the ass ................. But again: "why"? </div></div>

"Why" in the hell would you be shooting a deer up the ass? </div></div>

Its called the Texas heart shot.

That doesn't make it right thou.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Sierra game king</div></div>

You DO know that the difference between 175SMK and 180gr SKG is the 5grains of lead at the tip and that other than that their internal construction is identical right?

There is an old post here where someone asked one of Sierra's techs this very question and that is exactly what they were told. IIRC in that post there is a pic of a cross section of both projo's. The same....minus the lead tip.....

To the OP: Place your round well and you will be fine.

If you are salty enough to thread a bullet past a deers tail and still miss the pelvic bone and spine to reach the heart and lungs why not just shoot it in the head or neck?
The pelvis has to be the heaviest bone structure in a deer.

MLC good point.

SMK or damn near anything else on the planet would be GTG on a neck or headshot
wink.gif

In my 40+ years as a Hunter,I have never seen anyone take such pride in shooting a deer or elk up the ass.It's enough to make one wonder.........

"Facts are nice but perceptions are all that count"

As "humble" as he may not be, his argument against smk's for hunting is consistent, albeit flawed. He has not shot a match bullet at a game animal therefore he cannot comment on the performance thereof. He has not taken a "Texas heart shot" or broken a pelvis (why anyone would take shots like this any way is something else entirely) with match bullet. He has no personal experience yielding empirical evidence. I would also dare say he has not shot anyone with a .45 cal 185 gr. wadcutter. I can't think of what to call someone who vehemently preaches a certain subject about which he knows nothing. I think the "facts" and "perceptions" occupy the inappropriate and opposing corners of his logic.

It seems he has nothing substantial at all to lend to the original post, "Anybody use the Federal Gold medal match on whitetails?". I have not shot the FGMM at whitetails. I have however killed plenty of game animals and varmints alike with the exact components of FGMM ammo. I at least have a dog in this hunt. That is why I post.

I think this site is still called "Sniper's Hide". It only makes sense that the people who frequent the site would use the tools most closely associated with said title. If you do not agree with this, then why frequent? No one has argued that Barnes bullets don't kill. You don't have to prove that. So now he has nothing to prove AND nothing to add. Maybe it's time to leave now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this site is still called "Sniper's Hide". It only makes sense that the people who frequent the site would use the tools most closely associated with said title. If you do not agree with this, then why frequent?</div></div>

I've wondered that too, a time or 27.......

I would think anyone on a site that touts precision shooting would also be ethical in his hunting. Those with no respect for their quarry would endorse a Texas Butt Shot. One with no skill would take that shot as they know nothing of what they are doing.

I've used both, both work. On thin skinned game i don't believe it makes much difference.

I will chime in on the ethics debate. Hunters who intentionally take long range shots (even those that are within the range of their capability) must accept that they would be hunting more ethically by simply getting closer and thereby reducing the margin for error.

If you can make a good "hit" at 500 meters you can certainly make a perfect one at 100m.

"Nut shots" are gone- only to be replaced by "Ass shots"...with a side order of "match bullets VS hunting bullets"...
smile.gif

Dead thread strike mission please.

Hey Jeff & Weda.... I thought we were on ignore...

Once again Mrs. Humbled is on her rag about skilled shooters/hunters not getting within 18 paces to give it to the animal up the ass.

Sounds to me like there is a lack of skill on her part. Sounds like she does not possess the skill required to place a shot where it needs to go...

Interesting...

I swear, Humble has to be the dumbest fuck Ive ever seen. He/she damn well might be the guy that got his fucking dome stomped in the Blythe video. To bad Humble didnt stay in that dumpster.

Yeah, Humble, they dont work on flesh. Thats why damn near every PD with a DM issues them to their shooters - because they are only good on paper.

SMKs work just fine on deer. Admittedly, Ive only headshot doe with them, but Ive never had one even move afterward.

It is amazing that almost every response is some dimbulb, I have on ignore..... The moderator has warned them all (and me) to quit following my posts around to shit on me. I have followed his directive, I guess they cannot read.
As to the Texas heart shot. I know all you experts have you game trained to stand broadside while you get out your windmeter, laser range finder, set up the bipod, twiddle your "tactical" scope knobs and finally make the shot at at least 1000 yards. But there are those of us not blessed with such skills who actually slink through the black timber engaging an obsolete skill called "still hunting". It is not unusual to actually "jump" an Deer or Elk in that method and they don't stand around waiting for you to unlimber your 30 pounds of gear to make a shot. They are also usually "getting out of Dodge" (that's different than getting out of Cody), so a going away shot is not unheard of. Now unlike you "experts" I don't pass up a shot because the animal is not standing like a cardboard cutout bought a Wally-World. If you have some degree of skill at shooting at moving objects (I grew up hunting Eastern Whitetails in thick cover and shoot over 500 rounds of sporting clays every week), hitting a running animal is not impossible not even terribly difficult, nor are you likely to hit the pelvis. A fast handling rifle, with a very low power scope and a cartridge and bullet designed to penetrate and Elk end to end will do the job. I prefer meat in the freezer to tall tales to tell on the internet. My favorite slinking rifle is my Merkel SR-1 in 9.3x62 with a Trijicon 1.2-4 with the big amber post. With a 250 Barnes TSX, 250 Accubond or 270 Speer it will hold about 1.25 MOA for three shots and at +- 2400 FPS will do the job. (Those of you who might actually read some classic hunting history, will remember that the 9.3x62 was the "go to" rifle in all the German African colonies and they killed everything with it.)
I use the Barnes because it did the best in both the ballistic gel and wetphonebook (interspersed with fresh large beef bones)
tests. The Merkel holds three just like my 12 ga 1100 that filled the freezer every year "back east". It handles about the same and does just as well killing things. I'll show a pic of it below.
For Weda (or is it Wyowhisper...oh gee, I forget we had to leave Wyo didn't we?) and all his sycophants, save your little nubbies as you are all on ignore and I won't get to appreciate your wisdom.
For those of you who are actual hunters, I hope this may clear up any misconception you had about hunting vs target practice using live animals on a golf course.
merkelsr1scope.jpg

Why should I give up when I am correct. Can you FACTUALLY dispute anything I posted?
BTW you should actually read Hemingway...he never hunted men at all, he was an ambulance driver and later a war correspondent. So he knew about as much about hunting men as you do about hunting big game in thick timber. Funny you should pick him as I own his 400 Whelen. (restored by Turnbull)
DSCN1812.jpg

When in doubt, sling out insulting names...sad to say it doesn't cover up for not having the slightest idea about the subject at hand.

Here's a website you might find useful in your brilliant efforts at repartee:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Alliteration%20Insults&defid=252056

My fem side is telling me to back off here... Mainly cause, well, it aint no fun to thrash an 70+ yr man... no matter the reason in a ftf setting... nor is it here. One pass issued.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why should I give up... </div></div>

Because you are a babaling idiot. Plain and simple. Again, in one breath you blast long range hunting as being unethical, useless, sportless, etc, then in the next breath brag on trampling about the woods, jumping up and shooting running deer/elk up the ass. It is you Sir that has the issues, not us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you FACTUALLY dispute anything I posted?</div></div>

Did you post some 'facts'? somewhere?

Repeating stuff you read in African Hunter or watched on some Barnes Promo DVD doesn't count.

Well, I'm not 70+ yet, and I doubt a two striper gets to thrash an 0-3 even in the USMC. I was unaware "devil dogs" had a "fem side" although I have a bud whose daughter flies FA 18s covering the ass of you poor bastards in those CH-47s that are almost as old as me.
BTW thanks for your service (not to be confused with the "on ignore" draft dodging loudmouths).

I will await forever the factual analysis refuting my points.

I love to see all those "you are ignoring this user" lines.
I think I have about 10 out of 29,000 members. Statistically insignificant.
It only proves my point about "stupid is as stupid does".
Ya gotta wonder why they just don't PM each other telling themselves how smart they are?

I think I'm done with this thread as all the factual points I wanted to make, I have and the name callers must be running out of moronic insults by now.

Adios and good hunting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have and the name callers must be running out of moronic insults by now.</div></div>

God, you SERIOUSLY need some medication ....seriously....

Your opening salvo in this thread was about 'dipshits' that hunt with SMKS, and then you want to point the finger at someone else?

BTW, you answered my question and the answer is NO. Allthou I already knew that.

Mr. Ass-Assessor:

Thanks for the insult link. I found it very helpful, as you can see.

Now just shut up for once.

James

BTW thanks for your service (not to be confused with the "on ignore" draft dodging loudmouths).

I dodged the Draft because there was no Draft and Volunteered for EOD instead.

Wil,

His ignore function must have a malfunction.

We are always on ignore but he always reply's.

Reminds me of this line...

look kids, Big Ben Parliament...

hehe, Big Ben Parliament...

Big Ben Parliament... LOL!

It would be interesting to hear his spin put on the definitions I found on wikipedia: "snipers", and "hunting".It seems so banal to carry on any sort of argument. Why in the world would anyone of his midset subscribe to a website that caters to a technique he would never employ? I guess every village needs an 1D10T.

I found it more interesting in his first post that FGMM were designed for punching paper and not killing. LA SWAT teams will have to disagree, along with a lot of other LE Agencies.

Boone, when I mentioned that, he PMd me told me I didnt know what I was talking about.

laugh.gif

I'll have to let my Lt know that he's issuing me the wrong stuff!

Actually this Texas Heart shot you all keep talking about is to break the Deer's back.. You are supposed to aim right for his asshole.. I would have no problem shooting a once in a lifetime Buck in the asshole. I wont be eating that part!

I have said this before and I will say it again. Why do you guys give a rats ass what I or anyone else uses to hunt deer,or how much meat I fuck up doing it. It is my fuckin deer!! We have enough enemies with all the anti hunting groups and shit out there. We should not be helping them by putting this kind of crap on the internet of you should not use this bullet or that! If I want to hunt deer with a freaking slingshot that should be my business..

NOLO