• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting with a Knife

Tengu

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2010
Arizona Republic
I just killed my first coyote with a knife, and need of a little advice. I don't know how many people actually hunt with a knife, but I had a little trouble punching through the hide. I'm sure it has to do with the design of the tip, but not sure. Its a Western USA H40I and I may be able to post pics of it later.
Any suggestions on what type of knife to use for hunting? I was thinking of a small double edged dagger of maybe 5" for small game. And a maybe a 7" for larger game like deer.
Any help would be useful thanks.

Re: Hunting with a Knife

My son and I stabbed a couple of hogs last year. I used a Randall 9" Model One Fighter with excellent results. My son used a Blackjack , same style in 7". It was too short, took 7-10 stabs and messed up the blade. His hog was bigger than mine. I felt no resistance when stabbing the hog. Like a hot knife in butter.

How about a Boker? I keep one it my shooting bag.

BOAF546.jpg

Call me ignant, but how exactly are you going about knifing a coyote while hunting? Are you trapping them? Shooting them and then finishing them off? Jumping out of tree limbs over a decoy like I do?
smile.gif
If so, watch your landing. You only get one set of ankles!

cold steel man... you ever watch relentless pursuit, spearing elk, and buffalo.

The best sticker is a USM8A1 2nd the Glock feild knife. Both under $40 and tough as nails. I have killed several hundred hogs,goats ,deer even cattle.They sharpen up great and are perfect size for all around carry and daily work.I would love to hear the coyote story.All my kills have been either trapped or held by dogs. My dogs rip coyotes in half so no need for the knife. I'm guessing trap with a knife finish.
Scot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cold steel man... you ever watch relentless pursuit, spearing elk, and buffalo. </div></div>
yess!!!! i wish i was that guy!!!! youre not really a MAN unless you spear animals! i have yet to become a real man...

Jay Ell Gee I didn't trap it, shoot it, or jump out of tree. In fact I didn't even plan on getting a kill yesterday. I was just running in a wash after work and caught him sleeping...literally. He got up and I chashed him down into a corner inside some brush. Held him down with a stick and stuck him.
If you havn't noticed but I live in the desert so there isn't many trees to jump out of. I'm appearantly a sneaky person by nature and often come up on animals without them knowing a good portion of the time. Stalking is a skill I want to improve and capatlize on. But yeah my hunting skills needs a little improving but thats what practice is for.
I remember I came up on four mule deer once where I was within 40yds, but didn't have a tag for the season so I had to let them walk. Nothing in regs stateing that you can/can not use a knife for hunting here in AZ so its a grey zone on regulations.

Ok couldn't get photos of my yote but will post the skull as evidence at a later date. This is the knife I used, and really didn't cut when push came to shove. I will consder some of the knives suggested, and thanks for the help so far.
Hartman man you really have a nice knife if you got a Randel! Big sucker to. The biggest I got is 7" Kabar.
skinney no I havn't seen that show. I don't watch tv much, and I work outside so it limites my access. I just read about old native american tales of them stalking their pray for hours and killing them with a knife or bare handed.
Scot I will look into it for sure!

DSCF0794.jpg

Get yourself a Katana samurai sword. That would be badass to take out a yote with one.

Hahaha ok Outdoorsman I will do that when I save up $3,000+ but thats knida over kill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyclad Shinobi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was just running in a wash after work and caught him sleeping...literally. He got up and I chashed him down into a corner inside some brush. Held him down with a stick and stuck him.
</div></div>
dude come on now... held him down with a stick??? i grab their throat, then finagle the top jaw, and bottom jaw, ripping it apart... sucks you had to sneak up on him sleeping, i usually just run em down on foot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyclad Shinobi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was just running in a wash after work and caught him sleeping...literally. He got up and I chashed him down into a corner inside some brush. Held him down with a stick and stuck him.
</div></div>
dude come on now... held him down with a stick??? i grab their throat, then finagle the top jaw, and bottom jaw, ripping it apart... sucks you had to sneak up on him sleeping, i usually just run em down on foot. </div></div>

Let's get that on film skinney! Would make an excellent bonus feature on your next DVD!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself a Katana samurai sword. That would be badass to take out a yote with one. </div></div>

+1.

But seriously now, cold steel is great advice. Tons of choices and very affordable. And to the OP, please don't take my jest as an attempt to downplay your accomplishment. That is quite a story and I'm thoroughly impressed. Feel free to ride south to Louisiana and sit in a tree over an e-caller and decoy all day. We have the perfect surroundings for a nice coyote ambush!

Calm down skinney. Its my first time geee bash the new guy why don't ya
shocked.gif
Maybe I should take lesson from you
laugh.gif
But anyway I"m working on it. Just takes time. Running bare foot after a yote in 108 degree weather isn't one of the nicest things you can do to your feet.

OH shit I would love to hit up Liousiana. You guys got some mean hogs up there don't ya?

the blade you have should pierce fine if you sharpen the tip. it is designed to pierce actually and with the belly on it to skin. the design itself and length is not really desired for killing but more for working on game and all around animal field work. you can always add a penetrator grind to tip as well. if you have $ and time you can get a Randall knive for your killing needs. and use the one you currently have for deer and up game cleaning work. there are many different designs that will do what you want spear tip is a very good one

Yeah my knife really isn't designed for killing. Found that out the hard way haha but I got it for free so I'm not complaining, but what you said is true. Its perfect for field work and I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon seeing they stopped making these things a long time ago....at least I think they did.

Ok I was looking at Coldsteel and The True Flight Thrower caught my eye. Its 12" overall length so I'm guessing 5-6" blade and around forty bones. Good Idea? I mean its for yotes right now.
http://www.coldsteel.com/trueflight.html

Yes I will have to save some money for a better knife when I move one to bigger game. Maybe I'll sell one of my pistols to get a good one.

Gunpowder was invented by the Chinese in the 9th century....you know that right? Or did they not cover that in school yet?
Now where did I put my virtual hipboots......

What there is such a thing as gunpowder!!!! WTF is that? Is it magic? What kind of sorcery is this?! Blasphemy! In the name of Christ I compel you demon be gone!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyclad Shinobi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> OH shit I would love to hit up Liousiana. You guys got some mean hogs up there don't ya? </div></div>

Something like that.
wink.gif
Our lease has not yet been infested with them. We see maybe one or two a year on trail cams, and those are quickly dispatched and slow turn roasted over a bonfire for 4/5 hours that night. Feeds the whole camp! I guess we are lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you see it).

Ell Gee I know you guys have the record for the largest hog killed. I think it was 1,088lbs and 8ft long from hind legs to snout. Mind blowing to say the least. I know that not all the hogs up there are that big, but you guys still have mean SOBs.

Yep outlaw love this knife. Hardly ever leaves my side, and I don't hand it over to anybody I don't trust.

Who needs spears or knives when you can just use your bare hands!

There is a reason why cavemen aren't around...

xdeano

this thread reminds me of an idiot at work we make fun of. one time........ and then.......

You may be on to something with the true-flight thrower. Now that you have taken a predator with a knife by hand, you need to kill one with a thrown knife. Maybe you'll get lucky and walk up on another sleeper, but may I suggest calling him in?
smile.gif

Practice on a raccoon or something first!

Yay everybody is making fun of me.
laugh.gif
Anyway yeah whatever next time I'll just use my nunchucks.
blush.gif
Call in or use bait I know it wasn't like I even intended to go hunting. I went out to work and run after with my dog. I brought my 10/22 but like true dumasss I forgot my ammo
blush.gif
When your on call all day to load trucks you don't have the luxery of carrying all your gear regardless, and sometimes your still in city limites. I'm not going to break the law because I'm to close to a house either. I have to wait untill the work season stops around the fall before I can even think about having free time to actually go hunting. Thats life fellas.
Don't temp me with your silly ideas of acting like a cave man uh oh *grunt* Cave man is smart enough to understand that if you can't bring a weapon within a certain place you can still use your hands, elbow, fingers, feet, kness, forearms, and shines for weapons.
wink.gif
Martial arts is the poor man's defense, and have been around for thousands of years for a reason
wink.gif
and is still taught today professionaly.
If I get my fingers behind your mandible and unhinge it from its normal position whats going to happen? Or get my knife behind your left clavical? Or into your kidney? Thats what a caveman asks himself sometimes
whistle.gif
What diffrence does it make if I still accomplish what I intended? Knives and or bare hands.

Hay I've thrown knives before! Used an old winchester knife I got in bulk package. I was able to hit my target 5-10ft away. I was thinking of trying to get doves or qual when they come in season. They are way more common in the counties than coyote. Plus I could just practice throwing at what cost? The price of the knife and thats it. From a poor man's perspective thats pretty good if you ask me
whistle.gif

If you think I made fun of you then I guess I should not have deleted the 3 paragraphs I had written, and just gave you a light jab with 2.5 sentences.
Wild animals know a martial art called Karazy and they carry wonderful diseases that will kill you in the most horrific of ways. If you are that poor then a series of rabies shots will be hard to afford. Say you already are vaccinated, every time you have a qualifiing exposure you need a booster, they ain't cheap either. Close quarters combat with a wild animal is not cool or badassed, it is just plain FU@#!#& stupid. Nothing wrong with primitive methods and making due with what you have. Might I suggest the sling, incredibly primitive and vastly more effective than a knife. Yes it takes a great deal of practice but once mastered it is far cooler than a knife.
If you ran a coyote down and cornered him, held him down with a stick without getting your ass eat up, then stabbed him to death with a skinning knife, he was already sick with something. Hope you wore your rubber gloves.
NOW you have been picked on. Actually you have now been told the brutal truth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are that poor then a series of rabies shots will be hard to afford. </div></div>
average for the whole series of shots where i'm @, i was quoted about 2G's.

I was just having fun in general bud, not at your expense. Still think it would be cool as hell to kill a quail with a thrown knife though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it is just plain FU@#!#& stupid. </div></div>

yes ^
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you ran a coyote down and cornered him, held him down with a stick without getting your ass eat up, then stabbed him to death with a skinning knife, he was already sick with something. </div></div>

Or wasn't a coyote, perhaps a lost or tired dog.

Yeah I know about the diseases. He had a limp and he had been harrassing the rancher for a good bit. Did I mention it was 100plus outside? Bad combo. Other than that he was healthy. I've snuck up on yotes before that perfectly healthy but they run pretty fast even if your within 15ft.
Hay make fun of me all you want. I pretty tuff skin so no worries. Just try to throw something in thats helpful at the same time.
Like I said I had my rifle but forgot the ammo.
blush.gif
A gun with no ammo is well no good.
Guess I've been readin to many Tom Brown stories
whistle.gif
but yeah throwing knives sounds pretty badass. There are plenty of rabits here also, and you can hunt them suckers year round.
Anyway the only reason this started is because I have a friend that is a "blackbelt" in Taekwondo and he was running his mouth sayin how he think its pathetic that you have to use a weapon to kill. I was like ok then if your so badass then kill a deer with a knife. He declined saying it was impossible. So I have a score to settel with him. After that I will prolly go back to shooting them with my guns.

Average running speed of coyote - 30-35mph.

Fastest human ever recorded - 23.4mph.

And you ran him down barefooted! You shouldn't be loading trucks, you should be in the olympics setting world records and making millions of dollar's.

Well I have to tell ya its like this. Some people say a man is made out of mudd. A poor man is made out of muscle and blood. Muscle and blood; skine and bone. A mind thats weak and a back thats strong. You load 16tons and what do you get? An other day older and deeper in debt. Saint Peter don't you call me cuz I can't go. I owe my soul to the company store.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Average running speed of coyote - 30-35mph.

Fastest human ever recorded - 23.4mph.

And you ran him down barefooted! You shouldn't be loading trucks, you should be in the olympics setting world records and making millions of dollar's. </div></div>

I had a friend who ran coursing dogs for coyote hunting(mostly greyhounds). We would cruise around until we got our eye on a coyote and then try to get the dogs to get their eye on them, then turn them loose. Most of the time they would catch the coyote after 400 yards or so...every once in awhile they would chase a coyote that would flat leave them in the dust. Coyotes in my opininon vary in athletic ability just like people...some of them can flat 'pack the mail'.

Already been said but Cold Steel is hard to beat!

+1 for experience and observation on PGS' part. Animals are just like people and that some will be better than others in certain areas. The trick always being to use your strengths against their weaknesses
wink.gif

I ordered the coldsteel knife and don't know when it will get here, but it has been ordered.

How much does rabie shots cost? If I'm going to be a karazy fucker I might as well be smart about it.

The last year I did any trapping was 2002 and my uncle offered to have his doc order a shot for me along with him and the guys that work for him (6 including me). My cost was going to be ~$250. I opted out as I only planned to be beaver trapping and figured minimal risk as I use gloves when skinning and a live beaver is not likely when using snares and 330 Conibears.
The trick is finding a group to go in with on tha vaccine as it knocks down the cost. If you get your doc to just order one dose it is much more expensive.
The biggest risk is being bitten and as a rule minimal contact and keeping a distance ensures you are not bitten. I have killed more animals,including bobcats, with my trappers trowel than with anything else and it is nothing but a narrow spade with a 15" handle. If you are a hell of an athlete and can run an animal down you might consider a hunting "stick" instead of a knife. A blow to the brain kills lightning fast, Massive hemoraging kills relatively slow in comparison, which leaves more time for you to get seriously injured.

Ok armor the hunting stick sounds like a logical choice for smaller game but if I'm planning on moving to something bigger and more dangerious. Would it be as effective on a hog? Or Deer? I've been practicing martial arts now for the past ten years which is about half my life, and can use anything from a bo staff to nunchucks, and will be attending swordsmanship school hopefully soon.
Using a stick on a yote would actually save the pelt and be a plus. I have a guy in town who is willing to buy all I can get so its in my interest.

Alright this idea as been in my head for some time now, and was wondering if its a good idea. If I made a studded leather gloves for protection so they can act as armor it would minimise the chances of getting bit on the hands and arms. Looking at historical armor you'll see plenty of times when leather or raw hide as being used for protection. Higher ranking Samurai class being the most intricate and most "pimp" with their fine silk haha.

Ok I will see about getting some people together so I can save money on the shots. I'll have to absolutly make sure that I attend my next gun club meeting seeing they are the ones most likely to chip in. If nobody is willing then I guess I'll just have to eat the cost in my best interest.

Bertman thanks for the suggestion. I'll seriously have to consider all finely made knives when the time comes. Thanks for the help so far ya'll.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this Savage110? </div></div>

Or another mall ninja? with all the bo staff and nunchucks and swords that's what it sounds like.

P.s. forgive my adding to this thread, I've been waiting for it to die and disappear. I only added this because someone brought it back up again.

Sure thing Coldbore
wink.gif
Just an other mall ninja....even though the word ninja doesn't really exist but sure
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself a Katana samurai sword. That would be badass to take out a yote with one. </div></div>

I have three. 1 Katana and 2 Wakizashi.

Mine are not for killing sleeping animals, they are for killing humans that break into my house. I believe mankind to be a bigger threat myself.

And for practicing the arts of course. However if used properly, yes it would behead a Coyote.

If not used properly the Coyote would probably kill you.

I trained in a lot of survival schools, but I specifically recall a US Army Ranger standing before us at HuckleBerry Creek explaining why Rambo was full of SH*T for strapping his knife onto a stick. Sticks can be sharpened and are OK if you lose them, knives are not.

If you want to train to be stealthy as an Indian you should study their nature, they only kill when necessary, and generally only for food.

I'm no pacificst I just don't believe in killing anything that doesn't need killing.

Thank you Artic
smile.gif

------------add--------
I guess it bears repeating but the rancher asked me to kill the yote, and was more doing it out of his request. Of course I forgot my ammo
blush.gif

Wait a second, you say you were just jogging along and happened onto this coyote after work---they you say you were out with your 10-22 and had no ammo--then you say that the coyote was limping so you were able to catch it--then you say you pinned it down with a stick and stabbed it, even though you had your 10-22 (and when did you have time to pick up a stick while running???), then you say you stabbed it while pinning it down with a stick in ONE ARM? (where the hell is the 10-22, your third arm?)---and you said you run with your dog every day after work, so where the heck is the dog in all this? Then you say the rancher asked you to kill THIS SPECIFIC coyote (who you said was harassing a rancher--so you can tell yotes apart pretty well and you're telling me there's only one in the area?), that you just "happened upon". You also said you lift 16 TONS in a day (32,000 pounds)? That last part is the only thing that's even half way believable

I've come across too many mall ninjas to not be skeptical, so I have the balls to call you out and say you either have the most fantastical, yet inconsistent true story I've ever heard AND you either have balls of steel and do not fear death/disease, or you're just plain stupid and lucky. OR of course there's option B that you made this entire thing up and you can either repent or be laughed off of this forum.

Your choice--you might start by posting this supposed coyote skull with that knife in the picture to give yourself some credibility.

This just reeks of BS and I know I'm not the only one who smells it

P.S. I will give you some helpful info besides criticism, the Esee Junglas is a good all around survival knife and is my recommendation.

Silverphoenix you left one thing out - how cruel was this animals death if he did in fact do this?

Ted Nugent, even Native Americans, have compassion and respect for the animals they kill. They all believe, as do I, that everything is tied together spiritaully.

So even if you do kill an animal, you do it with respect, honor, and you try to make it quick and painless for the animal.

I'd like the proof as well, that knife looks pretty damn dull and I'd hate to think how bad that coyote was yelping if this is a true story.

And if it is a true story I guess I'll take the balls here to say you were stupid about your actions, not for your safety but for the honor in killing a coyote in the manner you must have had to do it with the dull knife (as you said).

Kill with respect if you must kill. I don't think that's asking too much of any human being.