• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting with a Muzzle Brake

Chanonry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
Aberdeen Scotland
I tried asking this on a UK forum but just got a lot of dumb ass answers.

I have one on my AI so I have the range experiences but...

Does anybody use a brake for hunting? Are there any non obvious benefits/issues?

Yes!

The way my rifles is set up for general shooting is the way I hunt. Why would do any changes to it just so I can shoot a deer? The brake stays on for me.

I've hunted with a pair of Walker's electronic muffs for several years. No issues when I'm wearing them as intended...and they slip from on top of your head to over the ears in about five seconds if your ears are tired.

All of my pig guns use brakes. It really helps getting accurate rounds downrange faster when they're running.

Reactions: WoobieJ
Muzzle brakes are fine for hunting. I would second their usefulness taming recoil on a big magnum or getting rounds down range faster on coyotes or hogs. It does suck if you have to make a quick shot without ear pro so I would second a suppressor or walker’s electronic ear buds.

you don't feel the recoil when hunting but still the brake helps you see your hit or miss. and for the magnums it helps at the bench/practice in not beating up your shoulder. so yes i keep it on when hunting and wear pro ears 300 muffs, the benefit is they amplify ambient sound.

Helpful replies, thanks.

I like my 20" rifle but with a can it is just a bit awkward, so was thinking about a brake.

I guess my worry is the dog. He is the Sika radar and while that is his nose, I don't want to deafen him.

Reactions: GONE BAD
both.
1631681661496.png

I’d rather get beat up a bit with the recoil of maybe a few shots than the permanent damage to my hearing.
Especially from a braked magnum.

Get suppressor, they help with recoil a bit and definitely nicer to your ears and any others close by.

Train him to cover his ears with his paws before the shot.

In all seriousness, I would be concerned about that!

A few years ago I was hunting and shot my 18” braked 308 AR with just a stocking cap pulled over my ears just like with my
20-28“ barrels. Never had an issue with ringing ears until that braked 308. OMG it was bad! Still reeee every day. I have excellent hearing except for a certain frequency and the Dr couldn’t believe I had such good hearing after working in industrial settings for 30 years. Next time I hunt with it the Walker’s will come out.