• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Hunting with a suppressor in Texas

adam1122

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Tx
Anyone know the main reason hunting with a can in Texas is illegal? I'd love to know the reason so that I can send a note off to to local state rep and senator here with my two cents....not that they will give a rip.

Re: Hunting with a suppressor in Texas

Because the game wardens want to hear your shots from FAAARRRRRRR away, so they can go find you and check you out. Is all I ever came up with. Such BS>

I thought in Texas you can hunt non-game animals with a suppressor???

Yes hunting varmits is ok but not game animals. I too would like to hunt with my supressor.

As stated you can hunt non game animals legally. Ive seen many places that do gen3 night vision and suppresed weapon feral hog hunts. I believe "Night hogs" is the name of such a outfit. They always post on craigslist.

I agree its retarded. I would imagine it has a lot to do with the amount of poaching that happens in Texas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree its retarded. I would imagine it has a lot to do with the amount of poaching that happens in Texas.</div></div>

at least you get to kill SOMETHING with your suppressor. In Oklahoma the only thing we can shoot with it is Feral Hogs and targets.

Reading over the state by state list shows how F'd up states can be (including Texas).
Suppressors should be legal everywhere all the time ~ not just for hunting either.

So, if I am reading the law right I can legally shoot pigs/feral hogs suppressed? If so, 2012 is going to start out on one bad ass note!

I have been talking with Texas Parks and Wildlife over the past few months. A gentleman on Texas Gun Talk pointed me that way. TPW own the hunting regulations in Texas. I spoke with the top two guys who are looking at getting rid of the game animal/suppressor regulations. As a matter of fact, it is up on this year's ballot. From everything that they told me, they were moving toward removing the regulation starting Sept. 1,, 2012. I believe the removal of the regulation will be voted on in Feb, but I am not sure.

The guys told me that they no longer saw a reason to keep the regulation and coordinated with suppressor/hunter-friendly states to get their input. It did not even sound like a big deal to them.

I got an interesting call from one of the gents about 2 weeks ago with some shotgun suppressor questions. I laughed a little, but I don't think hunting will be allowed with a shotgun suppressor.
cry.gif
If I hear anything more, I will post.

Currently, you can hunt non-game animals. That means varmints, predators, and non-game deer and sheep (e.g. Axis, Aoudad, etc.). In the panhandle there have been Elk that have made their way from New Mexico...so I guess you could shoot an Elk since it is not a Texas game animal.

That would be great!!! Keep us posted!!! I'd really like to take my EMC out with the suppressor!! I hunt with it already but would love to with sub ammo !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silenced America</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Currently, you can hunt non-game animals. That means varmints, predators, and non-game deer and sheep (e.g. <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Axis</span></span></span>, Aoudad, etc.</div></div>

Are you certain? If so, I really can't wait to get my 30 cal can stamp!

Hogs, varmints & predators I already knew, but for some reason thought Axis were still considered game animals.

There are no tags for Axis deer in Texas. You need a hunting license, but there is not a season on them. They can be hunted year-round. You can always call TPW, but I am pretty damn certain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silenced America</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been talking with Texas Parks and Wildlife over the past few months. A gentleman on Texas Gun Talk pointed me that way. TPW own the hunting regulations in Texas. I spoke with the top two guys who are looking at getting rid of the game animal/suppressor regulations. As a matter of fact, it is up on this year's ballot. From everything that they told me, they were moving toward removing the regulation starting Sept. 1,, 2012. I believe the removal of the regulation will be voted on in Feb, but I am not sure.

The guys told me that they no longer saw a reason to keep the regulation and coordinated with suppressor/hunter-friendly states to get their input. It did not even sound like a big deal to them.

I got an interesting call from one of the gents about 2 weeks ago with some shotgun suppressor questions. I laughed a little, but I don't think hunting will be allowed with a shotgun suppressor.
cry.gif
If I hear anything more, I will post.

Currently, you can hunt non-game animals. That means varmints, predators, and non-game deer and sheep (e.g. Axis, Aoudad, etc.). In the panhandle there have been Elk that have made their way from New Mexico...so I guess you could shoot an Elk since it is not a Texas game animal. </div></div>

Thanks for the work you are doing, Scott. I'm going to spend some money with you as soon as I narrow my choices a bit.

I took this off of the GEMTECH facebook sight:

Ok, Texans and those-that-wish-they-were: To give an early heads-up (and make sure we don't forget to post it during the hubbub that is SHOT Show), Texas Parks and Wildlife proposed amendment to §65.11 (legal suppressor use in hunting) is coming up. The Department has determined no reason to prohibit suppressor use for Class 5 game (deer, big game, small game), so the next step will be up to the Commission to hear comments and decide if suppressors will be legal beginning with the 2012-13 hunting seasons.

Our friend/writer Dane Hobbs sent copies of his excellent article (that GEMTECH helped with) on suppressed hunting to the Law Enforcement division of TPWD (we understand Scott Bittner has helped out on this issue greatly as well.) After the proposal is introduced at the Jan 25th meeting (Austin-area-guys: go support!), there will be ability for everyone to comment at the TPWD website - hit the "agree completely" button at the bottom of the comment form.

January 25th. Mark your calendars, give support!

I posted on the Texas Department of Wildlife Facebook page this morning. This is something Id love to see change. I think it would benefit all concerned. I have my fingers crossed that the law changes. Id love to be able to squirrel hunt with my Spectre.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A buddy and I just went hog hunting suppressed. oh well </div></div>

You're allowed to, no violation there.

Just to let everyone know, the NRA is suppressor friendly and they have been working behind the scenes on this in Texas for a while. They do a lot of cloak and dagger work that they never take credit for. They take a lot of shit from us NFA guys without any backlash.

I, for one, was corrected in my opinion on the NRA. Scott Christmon of the NRA/ILA took his time to call me directly and speak with me about a lot of work that they are doing. He is a good guy, a suppressor owner, and a champion for our causes.

Silenced America
I just wanted to say thanks for the hard work. I really hope this passes!

I've got the 26th on my calendar to make sure I get on and leave comment. Is there a Facebook page or group to help spread the word? I'm going to make all the guys at work log on and comment. Hope we can do enough to get it changed.

Found the Facebook page.

Tag. Wanna keep tabs on this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silenced America</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are no tags for Axis deer in Texas. You need a hunting license, but there is not a season on them. They can be hunted year-round. You can always call TPW, but I am pretty damn certain. </div></div>

You are 100% correct. Non native species, hunting license only....shoot as many as you like.

Thank you Scott, I have the date on my calendar and I am really hoping this passes in Texas.

I sent a note out to some folks in Austin (if I get a response I will post on the Hide).

Looks like their is a pretty good chance that cans will be allowed to take game animals sometime in the next 12 months or sooner.

Just a thought - better have your tax stamp and papers with you if you shoot anything with a can. If you get caught shooting game with no papers on you the shit will hit the fan for you (they take your gun, the can, fine you, possibly take you to jail).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just a thought - better have your tax stamp and papers with you if you shoot anything with a can. If you get caught shooting game with no papers on you the shit will hit the fan for you (they take your gun, the can, fine you, possibly take you to jail). </div></div>

IMO, it is a good idea to carry your forms with the items all the time. I carry a reduced size copy (40% IIRC) that I store either in my EMod stock, MagPul grip, or Eagle stock pack (depending on rifle).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just a thought - better have your tax stamp and papers with you if you shoot anything with a can. If you get caught shooting game with no papers on you the shit will hit the fan for you (they take your gun, the can, fine you, possibly take you to jail). </div></div>

Not having your paperwork is a HUGE problem, and not a Texas problem but a federal problem. Having your gun and suppressor confiscated will be the least of your worries. 10 years in "pound me in the ass" federal prison will be your reward. (I say this more for those who do not currently own suppressors, those who do already know this, or should.

It's about damned time this law changed.

They are retarded if they think some one smart enough to have a can would poach with a can...The amount of trouble you would get in would be ridiculous! 17HMR and 22mag unsuppressed kill more illegal dear than anything else and they aren't very loud either

Brilliant idea to make a copy and shrink it down and put a copy in my MIAD grip on my rifle....best idea I've heard in a while. Thanks for the suggestion.

OK Ive looked in the Opportunities for Comment section on the TPWD site. Dont see the suppressor issue as one of the listings to leave comment about. Has this been a subject of discussion yet?

SP

here is a compilation of replys I have placed on other forums HTH

I had dinner last night with one of the two high ranking TPWD officers that is being quoted all over the internet. he wanted me to pass some info on to everyone. when the option to post comments on the website becomes available they do IP logging. if multiple comments are made from the same IP they will probably be removed without consideration. but on a positive note he seems to think that this will pass without issue.

ok here is the latest. the registry only prints on Fridays so they are putting off forwarding the bill to them until a point in time that it will appear on the 13th. so public opinion will probably not open until next week. in the mean time you can email or call to express support.

Robert Macdonald (Wildlife) at (512) 389-4775; e-mail: [email protected].

fingers crossed!

speaking of Axis..
being that they are a non game animal I would think it legal to use NVG hunting them as well..

Letting people deer hunt with a supressor would help the hog issue as well. Plenty of guys will let a hog walk if they are after a big buck. I sincerely believe more hogs would be taken during deer season as well.

suppressors are commonplace in the rest of the "civilized world".
just like the GA bill that passed today, the GA Congressman that proposed it called it "the neighborly thing to do".
I'm not one for international politics to envade on US politics but in this case, I'll have to agree. TX & the rest of the US needs to get with the program. The only problem is the stinkin $200 tax on the damn things so the govt can make a buck off of each & every one of us, the bunch of blood suckers....