• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Hunting with a suppressor ?

GRIM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Wisconsin
Anyone know if it is legal to go elk/deer hunting with a suppressor? I'm sure each state has it's own quirks but how about Colorado?

Re: Hunting with a suppressor ?

Really cant help with Colorado but it would be really cool if we could get a list going on go / no go states.

Go:
Mississippi (I have been told but did not confirm my self)

No Go:
Louisiana

Oregon,,, Hell yes.
cool.gif

NM = Ya baby ya!

I think that Co is go to go, but I would call Game & Fish first.

As you can tell...it varies by state according to each state's particular laws.

I don't think it is a problem in CO as I have had a friend hunt there with a suppressed rifle, but if I were you, I'd get with the Colorado Div of Wildlife and double-check before you have any "problems" or issues. If you are hunting with a guide or outfit, you might be able to just check with them and they may know right off the bat.

RayDog,

Do you know where in the regulations it states that you can hunt with a can in Colorado? I recently contacted Colorado’s DOW (the Fort Collins office) via phone and was informed that it was illegal. I would like to be able to find the exact regulations stating that it is legal, print it out & carry it with my ATF forms. That way if an uneducated DOW office were to question me, I have my tailed covered.

There have been posts about this before. Do a search. There was even a letter from the DOW posted. I'm sure Zak has it tucked away somewhere or someone else on here.

Ok, so far here is the list. Obviously take this info for what it is worth. I would CYA and call Game and Fish in the particular state you are interested in to verify.

Go:
Colorado
Mississippi
New Mexico
Oregon
South Carolina

No Go:
Georgia
Louisiana
Ohio
North Carolina
Texas
Washington

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Washington you can own one but you can't shoot it...so no go here.

Steve</div></div>
that sounds like a lawyer was involved to do that...that is just plain stupid.

The law tells you what is illegal-- everything else is legal. So the question should be to the DOW officer: Cite the CRS or other code makes it illegal.

Anyway, here is the letter from a DOW guy:
http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showpost.php?p=71001&postcount=23
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There is nothing illegal hunting with a silencer on a rifle as long as it is legally owned and all the appropriate documentations accompany the “silenced” rifle as required by law as you mention below. The rifle has to meet all the qualifications for whatever species is being hunted as outlined in Wildlife Commission Regulations such as caliber restrictions, barrel length, total rounds held in the rifle for semi-automatic rifles, etc. As you mentioned short barreled rifles (SBR) are not legal to hunt with in Colorado. SBR’s cannot be used as pistols to hunt as questioned below.

As mentioned any “silenced” rifle must be registered in the National Firearms and Transfer Record as defined in the National Firearms Act and in federal law (27 CFR Part 479) and a permit issued to that person. A photocopy of approved permit should be carried by the owner when the weapon is being transported. Colorado statute defines a “silenced” firearm as a dangerous weapon and it illegal to possess with a couple of exceptions such as having a permit (Title 18, Article 12, C.R.S.)

I’m under the assumption that you have contacted the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives with the federal government and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation with the State of Colorado to see what permits, licenses and restriction there are for possessing and using a “silenced” rifle in Colorado.

Thanks!

Bob Thompson

Assistant Chief of Law Enforcement

Colorado Division of Wildlife

6060 Broadway, Denver, CO 80216

(303) 291-7342
</div></div>

That's the letter I was talking about. I told you Zak would have it covered

I found it using google in about 2 minutes. You can find the answer to the interstate question the same way.

Unlike some other NFA items, you do not have to notify the ATF if you are traveling with a silencer, provided it is legal in the states you're in and you have the paperwork with you as usual.

Its not frowned upon to travel with the suppressor but it dictates the route you can take. You cant enter a state that is anti suppressor if you are traveling with it.

I coyote hunt with my can on all the time. It muffles the report enough that the yotes cant quite hone in on your location and have often time run towards my position. Ive went from getting one decent shot off to getting 3 or 4 shots that usually equal 3 to 4 dead yotes.

good luck

You can hunt here in KY with one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dukedurham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Virginia is all good. Confirmed by me at Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries.</div></div>
I was looking in the regs yesterday and I couldn't find any discussion about it so I was going to call them to ask but you beat me to it. good to know - thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dukedurham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Virginia is all good. Confirmed by me at Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries.</div></div>
I was looking in the regs yesterday and I couldn't find any discussion about it so I was going to call them to ask but you beat me to it. good to know - thanks. </div></div>

Concur about can's in VA but no Full Auto and magazine restrictions apply as per the DGIF rules (usually 5 rnds). FWIW .223 (5.56mm) is a no go for deer in VA even in rifle counties.

Cheers,

Doc

"Its not frowned upon to travel with the suppressor but it dictates the route you can take. You cant enter a state that is anti suppressor if you are traveling with it."

I spoke with BATF about this issue as I live in CT (ok to own but not hunt with here) and have to pass through NY to hunt in PA (Ok to hunt suppressed in PA). NY is delieriously anti everything but under FOPA you are good to travel through as long as the suppressor is ok in the State you end up in...

TN yes, as I have 2 of them for hunting. I share one between my .300 and a .308 and the other for yotes and its a .223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Its not frowned upon to travel with the suppressor but it dictates the route you can take. You cant enter a state that is anti suppressor if you are traveling with it."

I spoke with BATF about this issue as I live in CT (ok to own but not hunt with here) and have to pass through NY to hunt in PA (Ok to hunt suppressed in PA). NY is delieriously anti everything but under FOPA you are good to travel through as long as the suppressor is ok in the State you end up in...
</div></div>

You can call the BATFE/NFA branch 6 times in one day and get 8 different answers to the same question. I would make sure you back that up with written law.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Washington you can own one but you can't shoot it...so no go here.

Steve </div></div>

Latest info I got while visiting a Class III dealer was that a suppressor is not a primary offense in WA State.It is an additional violation if you are already doing something wrong.I still keep it pretty low key.If you read the law it contradicts itself.

Yeah...I just wish these legislators would pull their head out of their fourth point of contact. I have seen a bit of activity lately where people are trying to inform the law makers on the realities of suppressors, hopefully something good comes of it. It is a shame when a tool such as this is not allowed to be used by law abiding responsible adults.

Also the RCW 9.41.250 states that "Every person who: Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW." I'm sure you have read this, it is just ridiculous that they do not restrict ownership in this verbiage, but do restrict usage.

Steve

Mpntana it is an offence to have in possesion while big game hunting. Otherwise, it is ok for varmints and predators.

Obviously take this info for what it is worth. I would CYA and call Game and Fish in the particular state you are interested in to verify. And it would be a good idea to have a copy of the law stating it is legal with you while hunting IMO.

Go:
Colorado
Kentucky
Mississippi
Montana (ONLY FOR VARMITS AND PREDATORS NOT BIG GAME)
New Mexico
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Virginia

No Go:
Connecticut
Georgia
Louisiana
Ohio
New York
North Carolina
Texas
Washington

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Handloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ohio-No quadrapeds, or shit that has wings. </div></div>

mmmm...so basically, shoot a pegasus and you're completely skewered!!
crazy.gif

I went to the DOW and asked them in person and they said no problem just have your paperwork with you etc. I also carry the letter mentioned above with me.

What is equally alarming in RCW 9.41.250 is the language about pocket knives............

You cant hunt in FL with a suppressor either. There is a map of the USA that has the states color coded to show where you can and cant hunt with them..... look over on silencertalk.com for it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: $KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You cant hunt in FL with a suppressor either. There is a map of the USA that has the states color coded to show where you can and cant hunt with them..... look over on silencertalk.com for it </div></div>

Could you please hood a brutha up with a link Adam?

Pretty sure Alaska is G2G, but I'll check the regs.

Alaska has no restrictions on suppressed weapons for hunting unless it's a machine gun. It's not listed in the regs as a restricted weapon or accessory and I've read from several other folks who have used suppressors in Alaska for hunting.

Knasas in no go for right now. they are trying to get a billed passed to change the current law hopefully this year. But not as of current. Which is ,my local warden couldn't provide any info to me when I first asked and said it'd be ok. Always do your own research before assuming.

FYI - with respects to the letter below that Zak re-posted about hunting with suppressors in Colorado, I noticed that it was several years old... for what it's worth I contacted this gentleman today & he re-confirmed via the phone that the information listed below is still correct and accurate. I would still recommend that if you question the information below that you contact the person or your local conservation officer

There is nothing illegal hunting with a silencer on a rifle as long as it is legally owned and all the appropriate documentations accompany the “silenced” rifle as required by law as you mention below. The rifle has to meet all the qualifications for whatever species is being hunted as outlined in Wildlife Commission Regulations such as caliber restrictions, barrel length, total rounds held in the rifle for semi-automatic rifles, etc. As you mentioned short barreled rifles (SBR) are not legal to hunt with in Colorado. SBR’s cannot be used as pistols to hunt as questioned below.

As mentioned any “silenced” rifle must be registered in the National Firearms and Transfer Record as defined in the National Firearms Act and in federal law (27 CFR Part 479) and a permit issued to that person. A photocopy of approved permit should be carried by the owner when the weapon is being transported. Colorado statute defines a “silenced” firearm as a dangerous weapon and it illegal to possess with a couple of exceptions such as having a permit (Title 18, Article 12, C.R.S.)

I’m under the assumption that you have contacted the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives with the federal government and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation with the State of Colorado to see what permits, licenses and restriction there are for possessing and using a “silenced” rifle in Colorado.

Thanks!
Bob Thompson
Assistant Chief of Law Enforcement
Colorado Division of Wildlife
6060 Broadway, Denver, CO 80216
(303) 291-7342

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alaska has no restrictions on suppressed weapons for hunting unless it's a machine gun. It's not listed in the regs as a restricted weapon or accessory and I've read from several other folks who have used suppressors in Alaska for hunting.

</div></div>
AK is good to go.
IMG_3471.jpg

nice blackie!! is that from this year?