• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Hunting with a suppressor ?

Re: Hunting with a suppressor ?

No hunting with cans or full auto in The Heart of Dixie.
Alabama publishes a Hunting & Fishing Digest every year. They are avalible free anywhere that sells license. If your state does this you should get one and read it. They are full of good info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice blackie!! is that from this year?
</div></div>
Thanks - yes, just over a week ago in Prince William Sound.

Update

Obviously take this info for what it is worth. I would CYA and call Game and Fish in the particular state you are interested in to verify. And it would be a good idea to have a copy of the law stating it is legal with you while hunting IMO.

Go:
Alaska
Arkansas
Colorado
Kentucky
Maryland
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana (ONLY FOR VARMITS AND PREDATORS NOT BIG GAME)
New Mexico
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Utah
Virginia
Wisconsin

No Go:
Alabama
Arizona
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Ohio
Oklahoma
New York
North Carolina
Texas
Washington

Find out whether your state allows you as a citizen to own a suppressor or machine guns. This is just a guide please double check to insure you comply with all NFA state & federal laws. Find your state then the first yes or no is for machine guns the second yes or no is for suppressors.

State
Machine Guns
Suppressors
Notes

Alabama
yes
yes

Alaska
yes
yes

Arizona
yes
yes

Arkansas
yes
yes
State registration required

California
no
no

Colorado
yes
yes

Connecticut
yes
yes
State permit required. Localities may have restrictions.

Delaware
no
no

Dist. of Columbia
no
no

Florida
yes
yes

Georgia
yes
yes
Certain localities may have restrictions.

Hawaii
no
no

Idaho
yes
yes

Illinois
no
no

Indiana
yes
yes
Local regulations.

Iowa
no
no

Kansas
yes
yes
As of 7-1-08

Kentucky
yes
yes

Louisiana
yes
yes
Localities may have restrictions. State must approve permit.

Maine
yes
yes

Maryland
yes
yes
State registration required.

Massachusetts
yes
no
State permit required.

Michigan
yes
no

Minnesota
no
no

Mississippi
yes
no

Missouri
yes
yes

Montana
yes
yes

Nebraska
yes
yes
We are a free state with no restrictions on ownership.

Nevada
yes
yes

New Hampshire
yes
yes

New Jersey
yes
no
License required.

New Mexico
yes
yes

New York
no
no

North Carolina
yes
yes
County permit required.

North Dakota
yes
yes
Permit required.

Ohio
yes
yes

Oklahoma
yes
yes

Oregon
yes
yes

Pennsylvania
yes
yes
Localities may have restrictions.

Rhode Island
no
no

South Carolina
no
yes

South Dakota
yes
yes

Tennessee
yes
yes

Texas
yes
yes

Utah
yes
yes
Silencers banned in SaltLakeCounty.

Vermont
yes
no
$25.00 fine for silencer offense.

Virginia
yes
yes

Washington
no
no

West Virginia
yes
yes

Wisconsin
yes
yes
Localities may have restrictions.

Wyoming
yes
yes

Indiana is a no hunting with suppressor or machineguns state. You can own them and shoot them but not for hunting....

Frank

I am sorry about my above state to state notes what I said was informative who could own one in there state I'm am sorry that my class 3 dealer didn't specify better about - YES owning them is one thing USING them is another. I know everyone here is on the same side keep fighting for your rights before they are all gone. AMEN!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inspcalahan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alaska has no restrictions on suppressed weapons for hunting unless it's a machine gun. It's not listed in the regs as a restricted weapon or accessory and I've read from several other folks who have used suppressors in Alaska for hunting.

</div></div>
AK is good to go.

IMG_3471.jpg

</div></div>

This info made my day,just hoping to get my 338 can in time for a moose hunt in September in AK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kenhil2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Michigan - NO

no one can even own a suppressor in MI </div></div>
Actually, I've been wondering about that. An FFL/SOT <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> own a suppressor in MI. But where the common masses aren't allowed to own them, I wonder if anyone ever bothered to make it illegal to hunt with one.

It was the same way in Missouri. Silencers were illegal until a couple of years ago. Once they became legal, people started poking around in the lawbooks, and there is nothing there to prohibit someone from hunting with a suppressor.

Oh yeah - it's legal to hunt any game in Utah with a suppressor. You cannot hunt big game with a gun capable of firing full-auto, but there is no such prohibition on hunting small game (or rodents, varmints, etc.)

Uzi-coyote.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF41780</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find out whether your state allows you as a citizen to own a suppressor or machine guns. This is just a guide please double check to insure you comply with all NFA state & federal laws. Find your state then the first yes or no is for machine guns the second yes or no is for suppressors.

Washington
no
no

</div></div>

Well, actually that's
no
yes

We are allowed to own but not use them.

1911fan

<span style="font-weight: bold">MAP IS FOR GUESSTIMATE ONLY!</span>

Cover your ass and double check your state's laws!

silencerhuntingmap.jpg

Just called the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency law enforcement division (615-781-6580). I was told it <span style="text-decoration: underline">is</span> legal in Tennessee to hunt with a suppressor, even game animals. Didn't ask about FA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Its not frowned upon to travel with the suppressor but it dictates the route you can take. You cant enter a state that is anti suppressor if you are traveling with it."

I spoke with BATF about this issue as I live in CT (ok to own but not hunt with here) and have to pass through NY to hunt in PA (Ok to hunt suppressed in PA). NY is delieriously anti everything but under FOPA you are good to travel through as long as the suppressor is ok in the State you end up in...
</div></div>

There is a common misconception that you cannot transfer a firearm or firearm device that is LEGAL ON THE FEDERAL LEVEL through a state which does not allow the item. FOPA specifically addressed this issue under the federal government's ability to regulate interstate commerce. It doesn't matter if you want to take your 25 suppressed AR-15's through the heart of chicago on your way from Ohio to Wyoming. Local and state authorities can't do anything about it so long as your items are legal in the place of origin and the destination. HOWEVER, that does NOT mean you can try to take all of these items on your visit to your uncle who lives in chicago and expect FOPA to cover you. Once you reach your destination, you are no longer covered by interstate commerce laws of the federal government- you are not in transit, you have arrived at your destination.

Key thing to remember, Legal where you came from, legal at your final destination= Good to go!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Its not frowned upon to travel with the suppressor but it dictates the route you can take. You cant enter a state that is anti suppressor if you are traveling with it."

I spoke with BATF about this issue as I live in CT (ok to own but not hunt with here) and have to pass through NY to hunt in PA (Ok to hunt suppressed in PA). NY is delieriously anti everything but under FOPA you are good to travel through as long as the suppressor is ok in the State you end up in...
</div></div>

There is a common misconception that you cannot transfer a firearm or firearm device that is LEGAL ON THE FEDERAL LEVEL through a state which does not allow the item. FOPA specifically addressed this issue under the federal government's ability to regulate interstate commerce. It doesn't matter if you want to take your 25 suppressed AR-15's through the heart of chicago on your way from Ohio to Wyoming. Local and state authorities can't do anything about it so long as your items are legal in the place of origin and the destination. HOWEVER, that does NOT mean you can try to take all of these items on your visit to your uncle who lives in chicago and expect FOPA to cover you. Once you reach your destination, you are no longer covered by interstate commerce laws of the federal government- you are not in transit, you have arrived at your destination.

Key thing to remember, Legal where you came from, legal at your final destination= Good to go! </div></div>

What if you were stopping to sleep the night? I guess you would wanna stop at a motel or something instead of an uncles in that case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What if you were stopping to sleep the night? I guess you would wanna stop at a motel or something instead of an uncles in that case. </div></div>

From what I have heard/read, you are not supposed to stop at all. Gas maybe. Thats it.

I live in TX and will be hunting in New Mexico this fall. Though I probably wouldn't use my suppressed 308 win for mule deer, I'd like to use it on coyotes while there (hoping I tag my mulie early). That said, I am wanting to confirm that no special procedures / documents (other than a copy of my tax stamp) are needed to drive from TX to NM with my can?
Thanks
TX COWDOC

Interesting thread. I'm on the fence when it comes to getting a suppressor. My big hangup is that I'm military and bounce around the US every 2 years if not earlier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Yeah...I just wish these legislators would pull their head out of their fourth point of contact.
Steve </div></div>

Hey steve,
are you or have you ever been an airborne guy?
i just ask because your forth point of contact would be your pull up muscles, not your buttox, that would be third point of contact!!!!

sorry yall can get back on topic now, my bad!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntinggamo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Yeah...I just wish these legislators would pull their head out of their fourth point of contact.
Steve </div></div>

Hey steve,
are you or have you ever been an airborne guy?
i just ask because your forth point of contact would be your pull up muscles, not your buttox, that would be third point of contact!!!!

sorry yall can get back on topic now, my bad!!!! </div></div>
FM 3-21.220(FM 57-220)/MCWP 3-15.7/AFMAN11-420/NAVSEA SS400-AF-MMO-010

STATIC LINE PARACHUTING
TECHNIQUES AND TRAINING

SEPTEMBER 2003

8-8. FIVE POINTS OF CONTACT
Training on the five points of contact includes the following:
a. Review of Five Points of Contact.
• Balls of the feet.
• Calves.
• Thighs.
• Buttocks.
• Pull-up muscle (right or left side).

Anyone know about nebraska? Getting into suppressors and would be nice at least for coyotes.

Sorry missed the post above when I looked before.

If anyone's interested, GEMTECH put online for everyone the internal document we've always used as a reference for our phone-guys when they get asked questions about hunting legalities. If it's of any interest to you, the PDF can be downloaded here:

HUNTING REGULATIONS WITH SILENCERS

Regards,

Kel

I just read the recent news, it appears that hunting game animals in Texas will be legal, possible as soon as this next hunting season. TPWD head has met with Rick Perry and it is expected to be passed by the House this summer. Interresting thought! Not sure I would use mine for deer still.

Supressors are legal to hunt with in Nebraska - varmints through big game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boogyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">South Carolina is good to go!
Longest deer season in the nation also.

firstblood001.jpg
</div></div>

Got my stamp pending and can't wait to do exactly this..take a pic with my supressed rig on a Tennessee whitetail! nice job.

Lima Bravo, with any luck your 30P-1 will be in shortly, we can the paper work done. Then the wait. Hopefully. It will be back I time for deer season. If not you'll just have to take me with you.

Good news for Arizona residents, the state just lifted all non-federally regulated magazine limitations for hunting, and also approved silencers for hunting all legal game. Reference azleg.gov, HB 2640 for no mag limits, and HB 2728 for allowing hunting with silencers. The silencer bill was signed into law by the governor today, 3/30/12. Big win for us in AZ!

Do you know if you can predator or varmint with one in bama i figured deer hunting you couldnt but was wondering about maybe for hogs

My 11 year old first buck(on the left), then shot the middle one.
Not bad for his first deer! SBR 300 Blkout 110 grn Vtac Barnes sitting on top of 20.0 grns of H110
8-15-12022.jpg

Awesome man Congrats! 223 caliber neck shots? What bullet? I'm building a 300 blackout for hunting now and I can't wait!

Sorry edited my post....300 blkout 110 grn barnes vtac on top of 20,0 grns of H110

TX All game animals legal
As of March 29, 2012, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission voted unanimously to legalize suppressor use for hunting game animals. Previously, only non-game animals were legal to take with suppressed firearms. This change modifies to remove the previous prohibitions that listed in under TX §65.11 (1) Firearms. (D)

Hell yes!!!

Howdy!

is there a website that shows the current states that allow suppressors for game animal hunting?