• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting with an AXMC, lessons learned???

TangoSierra916

God, Family, Country
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Midwest USA
    Hello everyone,

Did many searches and read through many posts, gained some insights, but still have questions. This is kind of a piggy back post on @Covertnoob5 and @DetroitRearView posts last year in regards to their experiences in hunting with an AXMC. In an effort to not muddy their threads I wanted to make this one with specific questions.

The Long Action AXMC is my primary rifle, right now in 6.5CM and 338LM and I love everything about it. Owning it I've learned a lot and it seems as with most things in the shooting world, one lesson learned creates 2 or more questions to allow for continued learning, hence intensifying the addiction. I've backpacked in to multiple setups to hunt deer with the 6.5CM setup for a few years now and the rifle has performed flawlessly in each hunt.

I wanted to get some feedback and real-world experience from members here who hunt short/long/any range with the AXMC. (or have in the past)

My thoughts/perspective:
    - I'm a bigger guy who specifically trains to carry the AXMC on long hikes in adverse conditions so the weight and size of the AXMC is not an issue I'ld like to discuss.
    - I don't hunt with the mindset of looking for a long range shot, but also am confident in my gear and skill set and will take a long shot.
    - I respect everyone's definition of an "ethical hunt or shot" but would prefer not to hash that out there, my definition takes into account: animal, gear, scenario, shooter and shooting partners experience and skill set.
    - I dial for all my shots.

My core hunting gear:
    - AXMC LA rifle with 6.5cm and 338LM setups
    - Nightforce ATACR 7-35 F1 w/SPUHR mount
    - SiCo Omega 300 and Harvester Big Bore Suppressors
    - Atlas bipod
    - Leofoto 404c Tripod
    - Terrapin X
    - Kestrel 5700 Elite with AB
    - Eberlestock G4 Operator Pack
    - Zeiss Terra 10x32 Binos

My Questions:
    - Any lessons learned while hunting with your AXMC?
    - Do you carry multiple caliber setups in the field and change based on when a shot presents itself?
    - - If you do and have changed calibers/bolts/zeros for a long/short shot how did it go?
    - - If you do what calibers do you carry and what animal were you hunting?
    - Any gear/accessories you added/removed after initial hunts with the rifle?
    - Any other insights you have found based on your experience?

Pictures are more than welcome, thank you!