• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Hunting with Berger Hybrids?

BigJohn141

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
Timnath, Co
Has anyone tried hunting with Berger Hybrids yet? Deer season is coming up soon and I would like to take my 6.5CM out and it loves hybrids. I have a VLD load and I know they make a VLD hunting bullet so I always have that option for a back up plan. I am afraid the thicker jacket on the hybrid would hinder expansion but I was just wondering if anyone had any real world experience.

Re: Hunting with Berger Hybrids?

Big J,

I haven't shot any larger game with them, but yesterday evening I hit a buzzard at 362 yards with a hybrid and it almost blew him in half. All that was left was a head and two wings.

I've shot coyotes and deer with the 130gr target bullets and I haven't had any issues at all. Coyotes are usually DRT and the deer I shot went about 60yds.

Killed this buck last year in western Oklahoma using a 180gr. hybrid from a .284 Win. Shot him at 521 yards on opening morning, hit him just behind the shoulder, and he couldn't have hit the dirt any faster. Instant lights out. Lungs and chest cavity turned to jello and no exit wound. Also shot a bobcat, same load, at 75 yards, flipped it and left a golf ball sized hole exit wound.
IMG_0168.jpg

Trev - I wish I could have seen that, I bet it was pretty comical.

Wild - Thanks for the info, looks like they might just do the job well.

Going to try the 300 grain, 338 hybrids this year

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Big J,

I haven't shot any larger game with them, but yesterday evening I hit a buzzard at 362 yards with a hybrid and it almost blew him in half. All that was left was a head and two wings.
</div></div>

That was a dang nice shot!
But don't tell anybody. Buzzards are federally protected same as hawks and owls.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm interested as well..... </div></div>

Me too.
I'm curious about the 6mm 105 Hybrids on coyotes.

I have seen video of the performance with the 338 (300gr) on a black bear and you could run your fist through the wound channel.

I am getting close to getting my 300 Norma together, I will be using the 230g hybrid in it and will post results as I get them.