• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting with detachable 10 rnd mag for BOLT rifle in Oregon?

JB5812

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Portland, OR
My buddy and I both have Ruger scouts that came with 10 round AI mags. We also bought a couple composite mags from Midway. I'm quite aware of the 5 round limit on semi-autos, but after reading through the regs and no returned calls from ODFW for whatever reason, we are not sure if we will have to buy a 5 rounder just for hunting. It never goes into any other details other than semi-autos... The mags aren't real spendy, but I'd prefer to not have to buy one I don't want. If anyone knows FOR SURE, feel free to chime in.

Thanks

says this below . So by word of ODFW it is only ( Semi-Auto Centerfire Rifle ) .
---------------

Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

legal hunting methods For game mammals
GENERAL WEAPONS PROVISIONS FOR HUNTING GAME MAMMALS:
CENTERFIRE FIREARM

Fully automatic firearms prohibited.

Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel ) .

Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited.

Hunters may use any muzzleloader with any ignition type, except matchlock, any legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet type during centerfire firearm seasons, provided the weapon meets caliber restriction for the species .

Yep, getting the same thing after researching and just making sure that they aren't going to try and pull something if they come across us out there with them.

Just to be on the safe side I'd fabricate a couple of blocks similar to the 1/2" x 1/16" U shaped blocks that used to come in the Colt factory 20 round mags before the big assault weapons ban in the early 90s.

If it was before your time, it was a piece of the above strap steel with two 90 degree bends that fit 8n the bottom of the mag over the spring and the endplate/bottom cover would be slid over it. The two sides of the U going up along the front and back of the mag would limit the follow from travelling lower to allow the insertion of any additional rounds that a legal bolt action with a blind or floorplate mag could take i.e. 4-5 rounds. I used a modified colt 20 rd mag back then that would only take 4 rounds or 5.56 when I was hunting with an AR15 a2 rifle in 22CF legal states.

If it works/legal for a shotgun it'll work for a 10 rd rifle mag or it did back in the day prior to the manufacture of all the micro mags. To say the least the local warden checked me daily to see if I forgot my tags or blocked mags.

You are good with the bolt rifle. For what it's worth I will be using an AX with a 10 round magazine for elk season this year.