• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting with my AXMC

^^^ Thank you noob, that is good to know and if I decide against the Vorn this will definitely be something to consider as I like the idea of shedding weight to go back to get more meat.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
20180519_112519.jpg

As promised, Eberlestock Phantom. Packed for overnight (2-3 nights) living modestly. It has a comforter belt which I had removed for this trip. For length of the scabbard, I have a 26" r700 in an AICS AT 1.5 stock as the reference.

Guys I just wanted give you a little more info if you’re considering a setup like this.

In all honesty if I could do it again instead of the warhammer I would go with the Eberlestock f1 mainframe combined with their batwing accessory pounces
Or
The F1 mainframe with the f2 transformer pack.
Reason being is as follows:

I got the F1 with transformer for my hunting buddy and he uses a traditional rifle with the kifaru gun bearer and the reason I would go this way if I could do it over, is because upon killing the animal, the first pack out you can take some meat with all your gear back to the truck, then dump the batwings or f2 transformer pack to shed weight and only have to carry the mainframe back in to get the rest of the meat.
With the warhammer I can’t shed the weight so I’m carrying all my gear back and forth.

Also of note: IF YOURE ATTEMPTING TO CARRY AN 18+ lbs rifle (AXMC or similar, my AXMC as pictured in this hunt was at 19.2 lbs on a luggage scale, for reference the DTA pictured in post #31 was at 14lbs even)
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE MYSTERY RANCH CABINET. For the sole reason that I find the Hip belt and load lifters better for carrying massive weight. Again though, you can’t unzip and detach some of the weight like you can with the F1 and an added pack.

I used to use a Gunbearer to do similar things, though with lighter rifles. I mostly used it with Kifaru packs, and I would use their pod system to transfer my gear to so that the main pack was free to carry the heavier meat. When I got back to the truck, I could leave the pods there and just go back with my empty pack.

If I didn't have a pod, I would just dump my gear at the truck and leave it there anyway. Seems strange to carry it back and forth for lack of a dedicated pack system. Is there a reason you wouldn't just leave the gear in the truck?

The other nice thing about the pods is that by freeing up the main bag for the meat, I could often carry out everything in just one trip, even large Mule deer. Not fun, but doable. Maybe not such a great idea anymore though.

eta: Great write up, I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for taking the time.

I pack my AXMC into the back country regularly as well. I run the Eberlestock Phantom and when things are snugged up it really is not a big deal. Failure at THE critical moment with a particular rifle system on Bull Elk (x2) - once a light primer strike(got him with a quick bolt cycle thankfully) BUT the second and last time frozen trigger transfer bars on a 340 plus...that I had to just watch walk away did it for me.

If I want to go light I take my Blaser R8. Both systems have operated flawlessly in extreme weather.

Thanks for the pictures and hog hunt adventure, it gives us the smell of the hunt!

Run your precision rifles!

Have you heard of other people having problems with the frozen treansfer bar? You are the first person I've heard of having transfer problems on an DT A1

If I didn't have a pod, I would just dump my gear at the truck and leave it there anyway. Seems strange to carry it back and forth for lack of a dedicated pack system. Is there a reason you wouldn't just leave the gear in the truck?

Honestly the only reason I don’t just dump all the stuff out of the pack is because i pack things in such a manner that’s it’s pretty tedious to put it all back after the fact. So I just carry it. Ironic to be a bit lazy I know.