• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing hunting with sierra match king

Re: hunting with sierra match king

EHG do deliver.......grin!

I'm a scenar whore, but have seen and used SMK's on big game on and off for a few years. To me they kill critters just as dead as any other bullet....as long as the driver knows how to steer the race car....get sloppy in a turn and you'll hit the wall.

The mule deer buck in my avatar fell to one well placed SMK.

C'mon PGS, surely you jest . . . . . . .

It was really an Xbulet wasn't it?
laugh.gif

Shaking my head....

Killed a lot of them with the SMK and usually notice a loud "whap" as they fly off their feet. Also have never recovered one as they go right on through.
This guy here, never even knew what hit him and I try to stay well back of the shoulders so as not to ruin the cape.

05MuleDeer.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mule deer buck in my avatar fell to one well placed SMK. </div></div>
Pat,
If you don't mind, please post a full-size picture of that deer and some more details. He looks like a deer of a lifetime. You have lots of nice ones, but he appears to be a standout, even among your many fine deer.
Congratulations.
cheers.gif
And nice one to you too mdesign.
cup.gif

novMDBuck09011.jpg

My hunting pard holding him up.

I was actually looking for a larger buck that I'd seen the year before in the same area. The rut was just kicking in and the bucks were on the move pretty good that day. We wanted to look at one last spot before dark when we got our eyes on a small bunch of does...my pard says,"Holy sh*! look at that buck! Is that the one?" I said, "Nope...cant be him he doesnt have any cheaters coming off the back forks". By now my buddy is going nuts looking at him. I said,"If you like him so much, why dont you shoot him?" He said, "I cant, I forgot my buck tag on the kitchen table this morning." "Dammit, now you got me thinking about killing him!" I drew a bead on him with my Sako .220 swift improved and fired for his ribs. He ran about 50 yards and piled up. This one got bigger as we got closer.....usually its the opposite way.

Officially scored for B&C he was 195 7/8 gross and after deductions was 188 2/8. Not my biggest mule deer but a nice one.

got this guy with the 175SMK's, one shot he went about 50-75yds and that was it. (like many said SHOT PLACEMENT IS KEY) I'm sure there is a better hunting bullet but hey... IT WORKS.
DSC00064.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep that Imagination fired up,it's the closest you'll ever come... </div></div>

Nice Stick imitation dude....but your a little off on your grammar, and it lacks the correct flow.

A few more dots woulda scored more points though(.........)

Hasn't it dawned on you yet how stupid you sound dragging your tsx "failures" into a SMK thread, as if it meant something?

Nothing like a bullet performance thread to bring out the biggest dick in the cockpile.

Congratulations, again?

Trip,

FWIW, there are few people I take seriously here, EHG is one that I do... He knows what he says, and you can take that to the bank. He may not have the best grammar or type as slick as Stick, but rest assured hes on top of it.

There was no imitation or do I need to imitate anyone as I am very comfortable with who I am...

I thought of adding the extra dots (........) but didn't want to confuse you or make you dizzy...

I didn't drag the TSX into this thread... It was reffered to early in the thread as a replacement for the SMK and I explained my reason for posting towards you in an earlier post...

Somehow with your infinite wisdom and your superior grammar skills you must have missed that... shocking...

We know how stupid you look, again thanks for the pic and the giggles, but coming in to bat for failed Barnes performance and attempting to learn us all up on the short comings and limitations that a bullet will place on a hunter does not really make you sound like a scholar... Nice try though Turbo...

Big dicks and cockpiles must be something typical in your AO and your experience in that subject trumps your bullet and hunting knowledge by far... Which is only obvious...

Please continue Opie as only you can... pics of 140 lb rats and 250 lb pigglets is a true testament of the Superior Performance of the Barnes Bullets... Especially at those amazing distances...

That 1000 yard stare was the icing on the cake for sure... "Dude"...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Please continue Opie as only you can... pics of 140 lb rats and 250 lb pigglets is a true testament of the Superior Performance of the Barnes Bullets... Especially at those amazing distances...

</div></div>

Been called much worse by much better, but keep on rollin'....you're the fucking Rock Star.

That a few kids, and on their first try, can make a Barnes work better than you is more than just a little telling, thus the point of hanging those "rat" pics.

They're pretty proud of those "rats" as you call 'em, but if that's what makes you a real man then keep on running 'em down......

Funny that you killing elk with sloppy shooting makes you some sort of expert on all things hunting.

Your problem is that you think I actually give a shit........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for the record, I've tried the SMK, SGK, Nosler Balistic Tip, Accu Bond, Combined Tech, E-Tips, Partition, X Bullets, Tripple Shocks, Sirocco and Berger.

The bullets I've used with very good succes are the SMK, SGK and the Berger. I've used these to kill numerous animals and they've worked 100%, every time. I now use the Berger Hunting VLD's 100% because for me it gives the best accuracy and wound channel.

I've seen the X's and E-Tips that looked as if they could be loaded and shot again..........not my kind of bullet. </div></div>

How did the Accubonds and Sciroccos work out for ya?

I tried the 69grSMK on varmints and would hear a zing even if i hit them. To many ricks. went to the amax line and love them.

"Opie" was actually a compliment considering what we have to work with...

By no means am I running down the kids but only your attempt to prove the worth of the Barnes projectile... Whats next... Wet phone books and jello...

Kudos to you for gettin them out and in the field and kudos to them for closing the deal... Lets hope they continue on and are not limited to the confines of their teacher...

Using pics of your kids to prove a point that you can't seem to make yourself, is weak... Extremely weak...

I've never claimed to be an expert or never will I... My absolute worst day of shooting will by far exceed anything you may ever hope to achieve... That is a given...

I have no problems... None what so ever... If you didn't give a shit I doubt you would keep returning or pulling out the family photo album...

Barnes for the win...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">165 Swift Sirocco’s have either blown up or failed to exit for me and all I know that shoot them.
</div></div>

I've had the same problem with the 165's... I moved up to the 180's (300WSM) and have not had one blow up... Pass throughs out to 650 or so... Any further they seem to hang up on the offside hide...

I have had great results with the 180 Sciracco. No pass throughs but no trailing. Longest runner was 20 yds. With a broken shoulder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for the record, I've tried the SMK, SGK, Nosler Balistic Tip, Accu Bond, Combined Tech, E-Tips, Partition, X Bullets, Tripple Shocks, Sirocco and Berger.

The bullets I've used with very good succes are the SMK, SGK and the Berger. I've used these to kill numerous animals and they've worked 100%, every time. I now use the Berger Hunting VLD's 100% because for me it gives the best accuracy and wound channel.

I've seen the X's and E-Tips that looked as if they could be loaded and shot again..........not my kind of bullet. </div></div>

This and the one by jeffbird (?) and maybe another few I'm not remembering, have actually been helpful, informative posts! Thanks.

I Do recognize that you are by no means saying that these bullets will never fail, but the fact they haven't yet and have become the "old faithfuls" is quite a statement.

I have not killed a ton of big game, but maybe more than some.

It is my belief that any bullet will "fail" given it is used in hunting scenarios enough times. Maybe I'm off base on this though.

Even the mighty Nosler Partition has "failed" me once, but the deer still dropped where it stood when I shot, because I sent my bullet where it needed to go.

Despite this "failure", I believe the Partition is as good as gold when it comes to a hunting bullet, but they don't tend to be very accurate for my rifles, so I looked elsewhere.

-The Kid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PGS, what SMK was that in the swift? 52?, 53?, 69? </div></div>

cbm, it was a 52gr @ 3950fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pgs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cbm, it was a 52gr @ 3950fps. </div></div>

Whew!!!! One of my all time killingest loads was the 53 SMK in the swift. Guaranteed to stretch a prairie dog to its limits.

Took a 175# buck at 522yds,measured with google earth. Used 300winmag with 220smk Match. Cliped a rib going in,took out part of lung ,top of heart. Exit thru off sholder, 2+ inch hole. 10 ft blood trail. This is the new Navy round and it is some kind of hot.
I would use this round on anything in NA except brown bear.

I ran over a 6 point buck one night on the way to a goose hunting location. The kinetic energy of an Oldsmobile station wagon was tremendous. DRT

depending on the fps that the olds was moving times weight in gr it should have had plenty of knock down power.bet it was rough on the barrel.

thannks for the good reading. I bought some 168 TSX's, but for speed goats this fall, I think I will stick with my match 175smk's in my 308.

Thanks again for the info fellas.

_DT

Shock Trauma vs. time to fill chest cavity with blood.

Out of all of the deer I have harvested.. the one bullet that always piled the deer up was the 170gr 30-30 in my youth. Never had one run .. they just fell like gravity just got stronger.

I have SSTs, Noslers, and others.. The Nosler/Win Lubalox coat would just blow through... and they would haul ass into the nearest thicket..

Then again.. a RN .308 at 3000 fps would probably be the most leathal shock but would probably look like a knuckleball in the air.

So there is a dick measuring contest on who's got the best bullet... wow that's awesome.

I remember a day hunting towel heads and thought hmm, if I only had a TSX I could drop that mouge at x meters...

For my two cents, shot placement IS THE ONLY THING THAT TRULY MATTERS(PERIOD)

Gents get a clue, shoot what hits the mark, and find a mark that gives the intended effect. If you want to chase a deer shoot the lung, if you want to drop him, hit his heart, if you want to miss, shoot the bullet you have no data on.

as for pics, men remember it.

Why use athin jacketed target bullet when there are specific "hunting bullets" made that are job specific. A matchking may do the job in some situations, but I spend a lot of time and money hunting and i would NEVER use a thin jacketed target bullet unless it was the only bullet available. I saw an extensive test on most Sierra, hornady, Rem, Win, nosler, speer & barnes bullets and Sierra bulletshad one of the worst weight retentions of all. i have tested the matchkings in boxes of newspaper and half the time , the jacket was separated from the lead core. do yourself a favor and use bullets that were intended for killing, not punching paper.

When Sierra tell you they are not a hunting bullet why does anyone argue? You can kill em with a 22RF, or 5.56 FMJ or even #6 squirrel shot, but there are lots better bullets and calibers available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why use athin jacketed target bullet when there are specific "hunting bullets" made that are job specific. A matchking may do the job in some situations, but I spend a lot of time and money hunting and i would NEVER use a thin jacketed target bullet unless it was the only bullet available. I saw an extensive test on most Sierra, hornady, Rem, Win, nosler, speer & barnes bullets and Sierra bulletshad one of the worst weight retentions of all. i have tested the matchkings in boxes of newspaper and half the time , the jacket was separated from the lead core. do yourself a favor and use bullets that were intended for killing, not punching paper.</div></div>

Those ideas probably work pretty good in CT but here in ND and the states where the ranges can easily get to be farther than you can shoot with a 155mm howitzer. Those thin skin bullets are the only way to fly. If you are going to practice long range hunting. A regular hunting bullet does not perform well at long range. Even the Barns X bullet while an outstanding bullet/hunting bullet it does not open to a point where it will destroy a path large enough to reliably drop animals at extended ranges. That is they the Berger hunting VLD has a thin skin. The Berger is designed to operate at very low speeds where a regular hunting bullet may not open like it was designed to. If you bullet does not open up you might as well be shooting AP or some kind of solid monolithic bullet.

This was the first year I was able to recover a bullet in a deer since I have been doing the long range hunting thing. Yes it left a trail of lead and copper from entry point to stopping but it was a destroyed channel the deer could not walk off. It kicked and jumped and made it maybe 30 feet before it was down. That was even with it trying to go downhill. If it was flat I know the deer would not have made it that far. After I cleaned that bullet only about 109gr remained of a 220gr SMK. The second deer I shot this year was a very close 98 yds away. The bullet went in the first shoulder destroying it then a spray of shrapnel and bone created hundreds of puncture wounds in the chest cavity. The bullet exited the opposite shoulder removing about a tennis ball size hole (crater) chunk of deer. This deer made it about 30 yds down a hill that was probably at a 40 to 50 deg angle. I saw it kick a couple times but that was it. When the deer hit the buck brush it just stopped and did not move.

I used to hunt mulies every year out west and I had a great flat load that grouped really good in 25-06 pushing about 3200 fps with sierra pointed soft points. After killing and gutting a buck at about 350yds one year I noticed a shoulder entry wound but no single exit wound, in fact the rib cage on the inside looked like somebody wacked it up with an exacto knife. I asked sierra that year at the nra show about it and he told me they did not have a jacket heavy enough in a bullet for the 25 to shoot that speed. The deer never took a step, but it makes you wonder on a big bone impact if it will hold together to get to a vital. It did well on paper but acted like a varmint bullet on impact. I shoot sierras all the time at the range on steel and paper in matches, but switched to a nosler partition for hunting.

CellPhonePics181.jpg

I've never posted this picture before, as it was taken on an old crummy cell phone. I never figured anyone would want to see it. The pic is of the inside of a cow elk. The holes are the inside of the offside. Those holes are roughly the size of a silver dollar. I only got three of the four holes as the "lens" on the crappy cell phone only has so much for wide angle. Bullets were 175 SMKs. Rifle was .308 AR10T. Load was WIN brass and CCIBR2 with 43.0 gr. VARGET. Range was 425 yards give or take. I have shot this rifle and particular load A LOT.

Scene was about 6500' ASL, 28*F. I was sitting in my warm and running truck (loud Cummins), sitting out a blizzard. Over the radio I hear my brothers say a herd has just crossed a meadow above me. I started to wonder if they were just trying to get me to get out of the truck and into the snow, but thought it would be a mistake to miss out on good intel. Sure enough, an entire herd runs across the two track behind me maybe 50 yards away, and back into a nasty creek bottom. No time and no way I was going to shoot at cows running 30 mph through the narrow alley in the trees the two track provided.

I waited for a minute, and the herd came out of the creek bottom into an open meadow, and they were really hauling, led by a big fat cow. She happened to stop and I figured that was my cue. For those of you who have never tried to range anything in a snowstorm with a laser, don't bother. Mine worked like a glass hammer. I estimated 425 yards and was right for once. I looked at the dope sheet taped onto the stock for what seems like years, and if I remember correctly , it said to hold over 1.5 to 2 mils(don't hold me to that figure) using the Leupold mildots. I didn't want to go prone into the wet snow so I opted for what my dad calls "rice paddy prone". You squat and put your elbows on your knees and have a nice tight sling. Wouldn't you know the stars aligned and the first shot broke and I saw her back arch with the impact. The rest of the herd scattered a few yards and she tried to follow. I fired again, and she fell. I thought, "that wasn't too bad"! Well, she got back up and couldn't move. I fired again and she fell again. This happened yet again before it was all over. I collected the four pieces of brass (PITA thru a foot of snow) and then my cow.

I try not to get too wrapped up into these threads anymore, as I have found that folks different ideas about how to kill. I've tried various bullets over the years and wouldn't you know, all the animals I have ever killed have had a projectile of one sort or another, disrupt a vital organ system. This time it just happened to be three shots into the lungs and one to the heart. I have never walked up to one of these kills and had the critter ask what bullet manufacturer or caliber, fps, etc. I don't mean to sound so condescending, but I think a lot of the argument is marketing hype or folk tales or just plain Ford vs. Chevy. Dead is dead and always will be, the proof has filled many a freezer. To each his own. I just happen to choose what shoots best in my rifles, whatever bullet that may be. Laffin' (But not too hard, cause I'm pretty full of that elk steak.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thannks for the good reading. I bought some 168 TSX's, but for speed goats this fall, I think I will stick with my match 175smk's in my 308.

Thanks again for the info fellas.

_DT </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2825592&gonew=1#UNREAD

After reading this thread, I took the 175 for antelope. The exit wound looked very similiar to jeffbird post at top of this page. Very effective.

Just wanted to say thanks to the advice in this thread, I got a good clean kill with the 175 SMK.

Regards,
DT

155-vs-155-684x1200.jpg

Here's a thirty caliber 155 grain Sierra Matchking *Palma (#2156) verses a 6.5mm 155 grain Sierra Matchking (#9570T). I have both ready for this years hunting season. Either a Remington 788 .308 carbine with an 18.5" barrel, or a Howa 1500 .260 Ackley Improved with a 26" barrel. The .308 shoots around 2500 fps while the .260AI pushes its 155 at close to 3000 fps. Both are sub ten pound rifles as the 26 inch barrel is carbon fiber wrapped.

Decisions, decisions!

I wouldn't for 338 300gr. I shot my elk from 671, 652 and a third time at 630. 2 in the vitals and one in lower brisket. It walked another 20-30 yds before it died. Found one in the offside hide and it expanded very little.

Same ammo, shot a whitetail doe 3 times in the vitals at 408 yds. She hunched up and just stood there. My buddy had to help with his 300wsm on that one.

Just one man's opinion, but I am done using smks out of my edge for animals.