• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Hush puppy

small_bore

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
WV Eastern Panhandle
I thinking of silencing a 9mm pistol. And of course I want it all
wink.gif
light weight, high capacity and a small package with stone reliability (I gotta admit I'm partial to an alloy frame overplastic, SA over DA but these aren't deal breakers).
Now in the real world what do you think is the best package to go with?
Thanks!

Re: Hush puppy

147gr XTP's atop 4gr of Unique is a good place to start for the load. It is subsonic from a 16" Carbine barrel and a 4" G17 barrel for my dad. It does not, however, cycle the action on the G17 without a neilsen device.

I've had great customer service from Lone Wolf, and they make drop in barrels for every glock out there.

I won't advise on a can because mine's a Form 1, someone else can help you out I'm sure.

I do like the DA only features with the Glock when there's no recoil booster, just seems easier to cock. The next can will be getting the recoil booster.

YHM does make a can with the Neilsen in it.

I've tried sizing 158gr bullets for a 357 (.358 diam) down to 9mm diam (.356) but it was too long to be stable at subsonic speeds.

My dad has loads for PowerPistol & 147's as well I believe, when you get that far send me a PM and I will try to get them for you.

I purchased a Glock 19, then ordered a threaded barrel for it. Ive run 250 rounds thru it and sent it off to have it polished and tuned. It will be getting an AAC TiRant 9mm suppressor before to long. The TiRant is a bit pricey but its the best out there given the new technology (in my opinion).

Can is quieter, flawless in semi but more interestingly it also allows for a one second user manipulated "lock-out" that will keep the firearm for cycling. End of muzzle blast, end of cycling noise when one is enough. A whole different requency than the the rest. Walther barrel. As you see it here, mounted, 33 ounces. Sub gun rated as well, another discussion about cycling devices is needed as well. Neilson was first adopted (non exclusive) by AWC. Within three years, AWC redesigned the system and has done so continuously since then.

walthertop-awcbottomScopy-1.jpg

xbmj4i.jpg

Top "dog" -

XD9 Service
Trident 9
EFK Firedragon barrel
Promag 20 rounder (is reliable)

Bottom puppy -

Bone stock Sig Mosquito
YHM Mite

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: small_bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now in the real world what do you think is the best package to go with?
Thanks! </div></div>

Please define "best"

Best at what?

Good question garandman...
I would have to put proven reliability at the top of my list.
Then effectivness, ie suppression and lethality.
Followed by package size and weight.
Loading more rounds is a good thing.
Reasonable accuracy.

I'm probably overlooking something. What parameters would you use to define the "best package" garandman?

Got a G17 with an EVO 9 very quiet and reliable. Slip the 9mm slide off and go with the advantage arms 22 with the Pilot or SRT 17 can and you are off to the races.
I also have a Sig 226 that the EVO rides on. Slide the pilot onto the mosquito for practice with it.
The EVO piston can then be changed out to help with duties on the ar 9mm upper.
Where are you in WV? You are more than welcome to give them a dance if you wish. Also have a pretty good FFl to help with your tx if you decide to make a purchase in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: small_bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good question garandman...
I would have to put proven reliability at the top of my list.
Then effectivness, ie suppression and lethality.
Followed by package size and weigth.
Loading more rounds is a good thing.
Reasonable accuracy.</div></div>

Reliability - cans are basically a non-functional part of the gun - no moving parts EXCEPT for the linear decoupler necessary for tilt barrel handguns. Most of your major manufacturers will all be very reliable.

Lethality - suppressors don't increase or decrease lethality. (not sure I know what you are trying to evaluate there) We aren't assassins - just a buncha old, fat guys plinking in our back yards, using suppressors so as not to drive the neighbors crazy. .

Suppression is a shifty thing. Some people say it can be measured with sound meters. Others insist its only measured by the human ear - which in a crowd of 10 people will be evaluated 8 different ways.

Accuracy in a pistol can is not affected in any mesaurable way. You can get point of impact shifts with cans, which should be less than 4" at 100 yards (rifle suppressor) - which translates into 1" at 25 yards, which is negligible. PoI shifts have alot to do with the precision of the barrel threading (perfect concentricity) and the weight on the end of teh barrel changing barrell harmonics, but again this really is not an issue with handguns

Weight / length is prolly the most verifiable evalation criteria. Its just a preference thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm probably overlooking something. What parameters would you use to define the "best package" garandman? </div></div>

I think you covered all the majors.

Here's my criteria -

Suppression - needs to rate average or better. I don't make a big deal of being the quietest.

Light weight - this is something I'm willing to pay more for.

Length - don't want my can to make the gun too long overall.

Accuracy - putting a can on a rifle WILL move your point of impact. Anyone who asserts otherwise is just not in the real world. The important thing here is that the PoI shift is CONSISTENT - you can re-gain zero for your rifle when putting the can on, by dialing windage and elevation clicks.

How to say this and keep us all on a positive path here?

9mm cans on automatics are anything other than a "non-functional part of the gun" good ones most certainly do have moving parts. Those moving parts, in many exellent designs will most certainly need to be user serviced, they will need to be cleaned, lubed and in many instances springs will need to be eventually replaced. There is more. Great 9mm suppressor cans can serve a vast majority of autos including some some that the experts swear no can will function on. On static barreled weapons, provisions should be made to provide the means to eliminate these very same moving parts, and do so quickly and take additional heat.

Lethality can most certainly be effected by a suppressor. Some suppressors effect velocity to the point where not only is distance obtainable and POI shift effected but penetration is as well. In manner instances a reduction in penetration equates a significant change in lethality.

Suppression is certainly "in the ear of the beholder" but one must look at sound reduction throughout the heating cycle, first round pop, throughout the servieable life, when running wet or dry. It is not 10 people making up their mind about it, but rather a great suppressor is tested in many different scenarios before making a decision.

Accuracy can be effected and is, in many brands, effected on pistols. Anybody that buys a suppressor that has POI shift of 4" at 100 yards for a precision rifle can has some explaining to do. For pistols it is much more important as the effects of parasitic baffle drag, expansion chamber disreuption, symetric or asymetric baffle design all come into play and can make a big difference in not only accuracy, but also sound suppression, heat retention, powder waste removal (either manually or through blow out) and service life.

Materials are important, light weight materials are only a part of the solution as an example titanium can ring and ring badly in a suppressor, just paying for expensive light weight materials, or making the mistake of buying cheaper light weight materials can mean poor performance. Internal materials directly effect what chems, if any, can/should be used when cleaning. Some materials cannot be welded to others well, some materials pit badly under pressure and heat.

As to "barrel harmonics," on a pistol harmonics can be crucially effected by a suppressor. Muzzle suppressor less so, but barrel harmonics are greatly suppressed and accuracy palpably improved when proper torque in a integral designed suppressor barrel is used. POI shift is rarely effected by threading misalignments, baffle hits are! Precision pathing requires tight tolerances (these cans rarely disassemble and if they do are in most instances monolithic.) Heavy steel autos can act very differently than poly/steel autos, weak hand, light hands, strong hand can all effect cycle performance on some cans. Other makers with poor, early Neilson devices over compenstate to insure cycling and that translates to much great wear and tear on autos (especially polys.)

Lets add to your list:

1. Ability to use wide ranges of simular caliber but higher velocity rounds and produce excellent suppression.
2. Performance when using small cartridges through the same can.
3. Ability to be used wet or dry and the performance.
4. Ability to be used on full auto weapons.
5. Ability to be covered by any warrenty, be returned 5, 10, 15 years from now to a viable company.
6. Ability to be upgraded to newest standards.
7. Quality of construction as it relates to welds, lack of welds.
8 Ability to swap out various threadings to allow for wide and varied use.
9. Ability to go "static" for fixed barrel weapons.
10. and on and on and on....

Thanks garandman it sounds like we are on the same page with this.

Reliability -So the tilt barrels using a Neilsen recoil booster are as reliable as a non-boosted suppressor? I've been wondering about this, it just seems that more moving parts could cause more problems-and more weight.

Lethality- same here my neighbors will really appreciant me getting into suppressed firearms. And I'm lucky to have good one's so I don't want to p*** them off. Suppression/lethality this seems like the trade off to me. You've got to slow it down to suppress properly so you probably go to a heavier bullet to compensate some and have some useable knockdown power. But there's going to be a point of diminishing returns and I'm trying to get an idea of where that is.

Suppression - Is there a subjective list available for the perceived sound suppression of different cans?

Accuracy-If it was accurate before the can then it sould be accurate afterwards. But it seems a lot of the suppressor barrels are aftermarket. Are there some barrel makers that have a better reputation for building accurate suppressed barrels.

Weight - Lighter is always better, and more expensive. Is for instance a Ti can really worth the difference?

you got it backwards....

Neilson devices (Neilson is an old term, some manufacturers have moved beyond Neilson) or better refered to as action regulators, are a MUST on many autos. Non-boosted (?), static designs have to be matched to the barrel/action in almost every instance. Regulators allow for the weight of any suppressor to be minimized for a split second, providing for unlock and cycling.

No muzzle suppressor has a "barrel"

I appreciate all of the input, I'm getting a real education here! And yes RollingThunder I do need to add to my list...
I see what you're saying about no suppressor having a barrel, and being able to use one on multiple platforms. That's a bit different than what I've heard in the past

There seems to be a long list of suppressor manufacturers out there. Which one's do you guys put the most faith in and which one's have you found to have great customer service?

No problem, to be quite honest, there are alot of good manufactureres out there. The one I might like may not be the one you would like. The best way, the ONLY way to go is to actually take the time to listen to different cans. To this day, I am approached by folks that tell me that they have the newest, the most modern, the most accepted, the quietest, the strongest, the whatever and when I hear it, I say "well how about this?" and take out another can and fire it and they look at me with that "oh crap" look and say "man that is quieter."

Here are some rules to go by:

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THE HIDE, IF NOBODY ASKED ANOTHER SUPPRESSOR QUESTION FOR THE NEXT 6 MONTHS THERE IS PROBABLY ENOUGH GREAT INFORMATION ALREADY BEEN ASKED AND RESPONDED TO ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS.

1. Centerfire cans do not need to come apart and only the very quietest did not to my research.

2. Avoid aluminum in anything other than low pressure small pistol round calibers and then only if you have to.

3. Try to talk to people that use these cans regularly. There are guys on the HIde that shoot every day and need extreme accuracy, they will swear by one brand or another. Definatley put that can on your list of cans to hear. HEAR them first.

4. There are guys on the hide that shoot HUGE volumes of fire through their cans, they will swear by their can for a whole different reason. Definately put their cans on your list if that is what you need it for.

5. Then their are the guys that want absolute quiet pistol cans. Caliber selection makes a difference, action noise makes a difference. That is a whole other set of requirements.

Major catagories to start your search.

- Accurate Rifle Fire
- Short range pistol Fire
- Short range Full Auto Fire
- .22 Cans
- Integrals
- Absolutely the quietest of any caliber possible

Pick your catagory and the cans begin to easily sort themselves out. This should be a lifetime purchase, LIFETIME, so spend the money on excellent quality and good service. My belief is that when you do the reading, the listening and ask a whole different set of questions, like:

"Which caliber automatic between 9mm, 10mm and .45acp stands the best chance of being the quietest through a suppressor?"

or

"Which is the best firearm/suppressor combo you have owned and why?"

or

"If my rifle barrel profile is XXXX and its XXXX long in XXX caliber, do I need a super light suppressor?"

or

"Why do some of the .223 cans I see seem 30% longer than the others and is that really required?"

or

"If the suppressor is really excellent, do I need sub sonic ammo? I see, so of the four types of firearms noise, who can hear that one and when?"

Then the Hide can really shine in helping you out.

This is usually where somebody complains that I should just tell you the brand to buy.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How to say this and keep us all on a positive path here?

9mm cans on automatics are anything other than a "non-functional part of the gun" good ones most certainly do have moving parts. Those moving parts, in many exellent designs will most certainly need to be user serviced, they will need to be cleaned, lubed and in many instances springs will need to be eventually replaced. </div></div>

Other than the decoupler (which I mentioned above) what moving parts are there on a pistol can (the OP's area of interest) ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lethality can most certainly be effected by a suppressor. Some suppressors effect velocity to the point where not only is distance obtainable and POI shift effected but penetration is as well. In manner instances a reduction in penetration equates a significant change in lethality.</div></div>

As I said above, I'm not an assassin, and won't be using my suppressor on any Special Ops missions anytime soon, so "lethality" is irrelevant in my application.

Suppressors only affect on velocity is known as "free bore boost," and amounts to maybe between 20 and 40 fps. Negligible. No measurable affect on penetration. Or "lethality."

Check all the manufactuers website. NONE make any claims on the comparative "lethality" of their suppressors. Its a non-factor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Suppression is certainly "in the ear of the beholder" but one must look at sound reduction throughout the heating cycle, first round pop, throughout the servieable life, when running wet or dry. It is not 10 people making up their mind about it, but rather a great suppressor is tested in many different scenarios before making a decision.</div></div>

All of those factors are important - AND will be PERCEIEVED 8 different ways by 10 pairs of ears.

I am AGREEING with you here, recommending the OP go HEAR the can for themselves - rather than beleive what other people say is quiet - or heaven forbid - pay John Titsworth for his data.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy can be effected and is, in many brands, effected on pistols. Anybody that buys a suppressor that has POI shift of 4" at 100 yards for a precision rifle can has some explaining to do. For pistols it is much more important as the effects of parasitic baffle drag, expansion chamber disreuption, symetric or asymetric baffle design all come into play and can make a big difference in not only accuracy, but also sound suppression, heat retention, powder waste removal (either manually or through blow out) and service life.</div></div>

I gave the 4" at 100 yards as a max, to show that the max PoI shift will be 1" at 25 yards, which in a pistol is irrelevant for ALL but match target pistol shooters - and suppressors aren't allowed in those matches anyway.

PoI shift on a pistol can (the OP's stated area of interest) is so negligible as to be irrelevant.

As to "barrel harmonics," on a pistol harmonics can be crucially effected by a suppressor. Muzzle suppressor less so, but barrel harmonics are greatly suppressed and accuracy palpably improved when proper torque in a integral designed suppressor barrel is used. </div></div>

Youare making things more complicated than neccessary. Pistols barrels are short, and therefore more rigid than rifle barrels. Sure, harmonics play in but at a max of 1" at 25 yards. With a pistol, it would be near IMPOSSIBLE to tell if that shift was due to shooter error, or PoI shift caused by a suppressor.

And the ONLY folks that would care would be amtcha target shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> POI shift is rarely effected by threading misalignments</div></div>

That's simply false.

PoI shift is caused (most prominently in rifles) by (1) the affect of the cans weight on harmnics, and (2) by the unequal pressure forces of expanding gasses inside the suppressor due to non-concentric barrel threading.

I'm not making this stuff up. I'm providing the data given to me over on silencertalk.com by the manufacturers themselves and some of the most knowledgeable users in the world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: small_bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There seems to be a long list of suppressor manufacturers out there. Which one's do you guys put the most faith in and which one's have you found to have great customer service? </div></div>

When I went looking for a 9mm can, there was general agreement that SWR Trident9 and the AAC Evo9 were both excellent cans.

The best? Who knows? But both excellent.

The general concensus I gather from the manufacturers and many many owners of them was that that the Evo9 was better used as a pistol only can.

I went with the SWR Trident9 as it was considered a darn good pistol can, but also was full auto rated (which is important for use on my Max-11)

There are many other good makers out there.

I strongly recommend [url="http://www.silencertalk.com"]www.silencertalk.com[/url] as the best resource from which to do research specific to your specific needs.

Well, if silencertalk says it, I must be mistaken. I stand corrected in all regards. Appreciate it.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THE HIDE, IF NOBODY ASKED ANOTHER SUPPRESSOR QUESTION FOR THE NEXT 6 MONTHS THERE IS PROBABLY ENOUGH GREAT INFORMATION ALREADY BEEN ASKED AND RESPONDED TO ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS.

Rolling Thunder...I wish I had done that prior to buying my last 22 can...lesson learned...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, if silencertalk says it, I must be mistaken. I stand corrected in all regards. Appreciate it.
</div></div>

Hey....for you? Its on the house....no charge.

You are welcome.

Look, this part of the equation, making the final decision, that is hard when one does not have access to the depth and breadth of suppressor products that one would want. So much of what I hear is so misguided, so patently lacking in the basic understandings of the physics involved that there is just no practical, efficient way other than saying "go buy X" to be helpful. I have learned, you give it your best shot, err to the side of making sure folks go and hear for themselves and then step back. Confusing free bore boost (an increase in velocity) with purposeful sub sonic reduction or worse, the effects of poor chamber design or parasidic baffle performance (a loss of velocity) makes it even more complicated and potentially inflamatory.

Silencertalk....useful for those completely clueless about the true nature of dB equipment and the true usefulness of their readings....

Here is a piece:

"If you still need more proof, consider this. A good example of this "deception" is the comparison of sound between a .308 caliber rifle and a .300 WIN MAG rifle. The meter will tell us that both rifles produce the same decibel level of noise. Upon firing these rifles, however, all would all agree that the .300 WIN MAG sounds much louder. What the decibel meter doesn't tell us is that although both rifles produce the same peak sound pressure level (SPL), the .300 WIN MAG holds its peak duration longer. In other words the .300 WIN MAG sound remains at full value longer and IS louder while the .308 goes to peak and falls off more quickly. dB meters fail in this, and other regards.

Our experience has been that a few unscrupulous manufacturers have published false data in order to appear "competitive. We have seen instances of an 8 year old suppressor from one manufacturer being tested against a can so new, that the firm hasn't figured out how to manufacture it yet in quantity. In short, if you're being told that the main selling point of a suppressor is its decibel readings, beware!"

Duration and frequency....duration and frequency...the science of suppression is just that, a science. The Hide was extremely helpful to me in getting me in touch with the people, the products, the demo time to make the process better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Silencertalk....useful for those completely clueless about the true nature of dB equipment and reading....</div></div>

You MUST be in the Titsworth camp.

Silencertalk is an excellent source of experince and opinions. From manufacturers and end users. How someone would NOT find that valuable is truly remarkable. Such a person would be worth ignoring.

Were a person to hold such an opinion.

Sound meters are useful where -

1. The human ear registers sound the same as the meter does (again, in a crowd of ten people, 8 people won't)
2. Atmospheric conditions (temp, humidity, air density, height above sea level, wind conditions, etc) are the same for the end user as for the sound meter. That RARELY happens.

The sound meter gives you a truly narrow window of info that ultimately is of little real world use to the end user. As YOU said, you GOTTA HEAR 'EM FOR YOURSELF.

I can only disappoint you here.

His position on a Glock 26's inability to take a suppressor and function flawlessly was patently wrong, with the right barrel, one where the block was not 10 tho too high, will run strong with at least one suppressor I am aware of.

dB is his only one way, and potentially a poor way to judge them. Take that away and the vast majority of his work is incomplete and of little practical value at the high end. Seperating the complete and utter trash from the better cans, sure, easy marks. Looking at pictures for relative size? Sure. But, yes, frequency and duration can be measured, yes interested parties measure six inches behind the chamber and 25 yards infront as THAT is where operationally it is important.

I guess there are alot of folks who buy cars without driving them too. Its understandible.

No, the human ear does not hear sound like a dB meter. Not at all. Duration and frequency, duration and frequency. Not just peak.

All meant to be helpful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All meant to be helpful.
</div></div>

Good discussion....hopefully helpful to the OP.

small_bore -

There are Youtube, etc videos of one can vs. another, so you can hear them, sorta.

Just watch out where the manf puts their can at the GREATER distance from the camera microphone than the competing can, that they are trying to show their can is better than.

The vids are only moderately helpful, but they are out there.

All of this discussion is extremely helpful. Many of the points you've brought up I'd not considered.

I've only been a member of The Hide a short time but the depth of expertise here on many subjects is very evident. Thanks for sharing and pointing me in the right direction.

I'm going to explore the Hide search engine for a while and then take your advice and hear the cans that I'm interested in at that point..

Thanks guys

I also own an SWR Trident . It is very quiet and versatile ... The SIG 226 , Berretta 92 , H&K USP SD , and a few others can be purchased new , with threaded barrels , and are considered to be reliable . Getting a host threaded can be a costly hassle . For compactness , the SIG 239 Tactical might fill the bill ...

Mo, those are interesting designs, but it should be stated that firing through any "wiper" end cap baffles, especially those end cap baffles that are sealed (as in no, or even undersized holes) have very real effects on accuracy. Back in the day when folks bought, or made their own "wiper" end cap baffles (first leather, than resins), one could hear the deterioration in suppression occur as those caps began to fail. Caps were designed to quickly replace those wipes as their life was short. How fast? Reduction after the first round, significant after 30 rounds? In a number of the designs shown at Armament, that deterioration comes quickly. Having said that, I am confident Armament knows that and also knows that, for first round pop in a pistol cartridge, sealed "shoot thru" end caps are probably as quiet as it gets.

P.S. sealing the wet in is possible in most any desgin, either by selecting the right medium or by sealing up the unit through any number of means.

As an example this, readily available, device delivers the right medium where required through the perfed applicator tip. This one from AWC is for their Nexus III and Titanium Abraxas. That medium does not run out of the front.

mediugm.jpg