• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hybrid bullet and Gyrojet?

Corpsie

Private
Minuteman
My google-fu has produced no results, so here it goes.

Has anyone read about a projectile that is a hybrid of a Gyrojet and a "normal" bullet?

My thinking is that the hybrid projectile would be shot from a rifle like a normal projectile and then its on-board jet would provide additional thrust that will be designed to dependent on its expected time in flight. For example for longer flights/distances, it would be designed to attempt to maintain a speed and not accelerate the projectile. For shorter flights/distances it would be designed to accelerate the projectile to be within a certain speed range so the projectile can react as intended with the target (like expanding properly for a hunting round)

"... They are, however, rarely fired; ammunition, when available at all, can cost over $100 per round.[SUP]"

No thanks.
[/SUP]

One, you are talking about a ROCKET ASSISTED PROJECTILE, old news, check arty rounds, been around for a while, as well as many anti tank weapons, also check BATF regs on rocket assisted projectiles, you'll find your answer. Two, with a RAP round, the length of the barrel would be of little or no importance, as the final speed would be due to rocket thrust, therefore you'll not need a rifle, just like the gyrojet, pistols and rifles had same velocities. I have several gyrojet rounds in my collection, wish I'd bought more when they were "cheap". Dirty D is right, 100/each is not an unusual price. My advice to you, is stay away from "experimenting" with this type of project, it can land you in Fed prison. The secondary rocket motor could/would considered a destructive device, as what if it hit it's intended target just after ignition, but before ignition was complete, also an incendiary device for same reason. Three, rifle and pistol rounds are SPIN stabilized, rockets to be accurate need stabilization (as the CG is constantly changing due to fuel burn), this is usually accomplished via fins. Four, the length of the projectile, with rocket motor and delay ignition unit would increase the length, a lot. This unit would have to be very accurate in is time of ignition, never in the barrel, and always at the same place during the initial flight sequence, other wise the accuracy would be non-existent, this fairly complex ignition devise, would also have to be able to handle the G forces (and heat) of the initial firing. The entire thing must be able to withstand the engraving forces of the rifling without any degradation. The list of problem is much longer, but you get the drift. May I suggest you continue to think of new and better ways, leave this one alone, it can only lead you to trouble.

Last edited: