• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Hybrid min barrel for 300BLK?

DavidK

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2006
Any one know the minimum acceptable barrel length for the Hybrid for 300BLK supersonic? Will it run on an 8? It’s not in the manual.

Last edited:
The Noveske 8.2 and 8.5's have never given me grief. I have a 16"AAC too and I was just out working up loads from scratch the other day, supers and subs .2grains apart. Zero function issues, I mean they functioned FLAWLESSLY regardless of charge weight or bullet selection. Supers tend to eject in the exact same spot at 4.30-5.00 every time (they'd eject in a coffee can six feet away if I had one) and subs at about 3.30 five feet away. Subs are a bit sluggish to be honest, I do use 220's though. I'd figure on the 8.5 to be the minimum barrel length FOR EXPECTED RELIABILITY. It may work with a 6.5, but I doubt it'll shine like the others. FWIW, KAC only makes it in 9 or 9.5 --I may go with one of their uppers just due to the quality and the fact I have the lowers and suppressor already, but Noveske barrels are about the best barrels of that type you can get, they ain't cheap and they ain't made cheap either.

For me, if it doesn't fucking work it's a paperweight. I won't even carry a weapon until I've put it through all paces, weak ammo, overloaded ammo, mixed mags, variation in recoil springs, you name it. If it CAN fuck up, I wanna see it happen on the range. If I can't make it fuckup on purpose after a thousand or so rounds, with no malfunctions at all even due to filth or lack of lube, I'll incorporate it into the arsenal.

I have a nice Smith 1006 I just don't trust, haven't put enough ammo through it and it has a bumpy history (FBI didn't scrap the Smith 10mm due to females not being able to hold onto it, they scrapped it because it wasn't as reliable as the FBI wanted and the .40, which is really what they desired, came out at the same time, that's a fact). So why build a .300BLK if it's just gonna look cool or be a toy? Or have to be replaced?

Tuning a 6.5 I wouldn't say is impossible, but I'd say it's probably gonna take more tweaking than most of us want to deal with. And I'd suspect it would have to be used suppressed exclusively because you'll probably need the back pressure. I could be wrong, but IME, 8.5 is about the shortest you can go and expect reliability both suppressed, unsuppressed and with 125gr. supers or 220gr. subs --IMO, that's the standard for a Blackout.

My biggest concern about a 6.5 is that about 2 inches is used up for the chamber so you really only have about a 4" bbl. Pistol gas tubes are only so short. So besides cycling issues, I'd expect possible wobble of bullets as they may not have time to stabilize in that short of a barrel. Without a can, it may be fine, it may stabilize downrange. With a can, you get a baffle strike. Or could.

Also, .300BLK DOES have a velocity discrepancy with shorter barrels, albeit not nearly as bad as 5.56. Expect a round moving 2300fps in a 16"bbl. to do about 1950 or so fps from an 8.5. With subs it's the same --the 16"bbl. drives average sub loads to just supersonic speeds, while the 8.5 keeps 'em right on the money. That's interesting, because if you don't handload, you'll never get a true sub load for longer barrels and without handloading, it's hard to get a supersonic load in the sweet spot for the short barrels, which I consider to be around 2100fps.

Good luck, and if you want it shorter, just get a shorter can. The 5" Ultra is no-shit hearing safe, though it's not Hollywood quiet. The SDN6, despite how much I HATE the goddamn mount, is actually one of the best sounding suppressors for .300BLK --believe it or not.

Finally, the best .300BLK barrels I know of are KAC, Noveske and yes, whoever AAC contracts their barrels through. In no specific order, they all work.

My wife's 10.5" Johnny Rifle with SDN6 may be the best "all around" and it's damn light and compact too.

Oh, if you want something shorter, just go with a .45 or 9mm SBR. They're shorter with folding stocks anyway, like the Sig MCX. Suppressed, they sling a 147gr. slug at sub speed and the short barrel won't matter because it's a blowback. Unsuppressed, they sling a 124gr.+P+ at about 1500fps --not much slower than a 125gr. .300BLK from a 6.5"bbl. I'd imagine. A .45 230gr. is heavier and makes bigger holes than the BLK (BLK has more cross sectional density, but at close range who cares?). Also none of the gas face, which cannot be understated, it seriously fucks up your ability to see.

The shorter the rifle, the closer the range. .300BLK bridges the gap between 5.56 and pistol calibers, but it does have limitations. If you want short, get a 5.5"bbl. Sig MCX and call it a day --it's a great sub gun and I suspect it'll give you less grief. If you can live with 8.5", hard to go wrong with .300BLK and the right loads.

Silencerco needs to update their barrel length document online. OP, several people at arfcom called SiCo to get the answers: 8" for 300BLK supersonic and subsonic.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/SilencerCo_hybrid_minimum_barrel_length_restrictions_/20-475649/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Silencerco_Hybrid_barrel_restrictions/20-460862/

And like everything else we do, we add a grain of salt --hence 8.2 and 8.5 inch barrels.

Trust me, I wanted a 6.5" too.

KAC claims 9 or 9.5 to be the ideal length FWIW and it's the shortest they make.

Should have mentioned: Sig makes the MCX Rattler and it's a factory folder .300BLK w/gas piston action (no gas face!) and is probably the most compact .300BLK on the market with a 6.5" barrel. So there you go, one out of the box and with a warranty, which I'd certainly want with a 6.5"bbl.!

I'd like one of these and am considering it vs. registering another 8.5" Noveske setup. I think it'd be nice with a Sico Omega 9k (hopefully the slightly larger bore will help if the bullet isn't fully stable exiting the muzzle). Then again, Sig may have a can already recommended for it.

I can vouche for Noveske 8.2 or 8.5" both working non-stop, supers, subs, suppressor or no suppressor, mixed mags (supers and subs and also different load weights). It goes through them all without a hiccup. No adj. gas block, it just works.

I have a 6.25 KAK Baby Blond barrel, it has been flawless. I typically use a Suppressed Armament can on it, although I’ve used it with other cans and without for a couple rounds.

[No message]

Attachments

• photo81012.jpg
    photo81012.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 52