• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hybrid Tactical / Hunting Scope

blindman75

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2014
Alabama
Hi,I'm new here to the forum. Just picked up a used Remington 700 LTR in 308 with a Badger 20MOA scope base. My plan is to make this a dual purpose target and hunting rifle. The more I read about optics and choices available the more confused I become. I need some help deciding on the best optic for my situation. My budget is $1,000 or below. This rifle will probably see more hours in a tree stand than it does on the range. With most of the shots taken at dusk dark, the most important feature is the ability to see in low light situations. My longest shot would probably be between 500-600 yards. I'm sure this topic has already been beat to death, but I would appreciate any feedback.

Yes NF compact, you can scour the used sections here and find one for 1100-1200. Yes the extra 200 is well worth it.

Vortex are nice, but lack in contrast, especially in lower light. Not a hater, just my experience.

The Bushnell LRHS has better glass than any other scope in this range, and also better features than any other scope in this range. In fact, you'll probably have to spend over $2000 to get everything you get with the Bushnell. This isn't even a two horse race.

March 2.5-25x42mm tactical.
Weight appropriate for hunting, specs for decent "tactical" use.

Looks like he said $1000 or below no?

There are sooo.... many. Maybe you can tell us what sort or reticle you prefer? What length and weight requirements? Do you have to have a side focus?

Since you're primary use will be hunting in a stand, what ranges will those shots be at realistically?

What sized targets are you trying to hit at 500-600?

Hi,I'm new here to the forum. Just picked up a used Remington 700 LTR in 308 with a Badger 20MOA scope base. My plan is to make this a dual purpose target and hunting rifle. The more I read about optics and choices available the more confused I become. I need some help deciding on the best optic for my situation. My budget is $1,000 or below. This rifle will probably see more hours in a tree stand than it does on the range. With most of the shots taken at dusk dark, the most important feature is the ability to see in low light situations. My longest shot would probably be between 500-600 yards. I'm sure this topic has already been beat to death, but I would appreciate any feedback.

Most of the hunting shots will be taken within 300 yards. I'm really not sure on the reticle...illumination seems like it would be nice for low light.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

These targets are deer size game 10" vital area. I have had a Ruger m77 270 topped with a tasco 3-9x40 for the last 25 years. That setup has worked for inside 300. Last year I upgraded the scope to a ziess conquest 3-9x40 hoping to extend by hunting by 5-10 minutes. I guess I had too high expectations because I really didn't see that much difference in the Conquest. I bought this rifle just to have another gun...its been 25 years... I was due one. I do have shots that present themselves at the 5-600 yard range, just never had scope good enough to take that kind of shot.
I'm really not too concerned with the weight. As for as a side focus, I've never had it so don't know what I'm missing.
I do enjoy target shooting as well....
In the end I just want to be able to say this upgrade was worth it.

Do you want exposed turrets? If not I really like my Leupold VX-R. I have the 3-9 model with ballistic fire dot reticle. They also have a 4-12 model. The illuminated dot is great. Plus I would say better glass than the Vortex Viper/PST models. If you want exposed turrets they have a VX-R Patrol model.

These targets are deer size game 10" vital area. I have had a Ruger m77 270 topped with a tasco 3-9x40 for the last 25 years. That setup has worked for inside 300. Last year I upgraded the scope to a ziess conquest 3-9x40 hoping to extend by hunting by 5-10 minutes. I guess I had too high expectations because I really didn't see that much difference in the Conquest. I bought this rifle just to have another gun...its been 25 years... I was due one. I do have shots that present themselves at the 5-600 yard range, just never had scope good enough to take that kind of shot.
I'm really not too concerned with the weight. As for as a side focus, I've never had it so don't know what I'm missing.
I do enjoy target shooting as well....
In the end I just want to be able to say this upgrade was worth it.

From your intended usage, I think you'd be best served getting a good hunting scope with target/tactical turrets, rather than a tactical scope that you can hunt with. Your application doesn't sound like it warrants the "over-built to withstand abuse" aspect of tactical scopes, and the $$ you save in that regard could be used to bump up a level in glass quality. In the hunting scope world of the scopes I'm most familiar with, I'd consider the Meopta MeoStar R1 3-12x56, the Zeiss HD5 3-15x50, the Leupold VX6 2-12 or 3-18, or the Leica 3.5-14x42, as all can be had in that $1k arena. Of the four, the Meopta probably has the best low light capabilities and the Leica arguably has the best glass. All would do what you want, so you could choose whichever offers the best reticle, turret, and illumination combo to fit your needs.

I think I'm leaning toward the

Bushnell LRHS and

Meopta MeoStar R1 3-12x56 McWhorter or 4c illuminated reticle.

Does anybody have any opinion for one over the other.

Thanks for all the feedback.

You might want to look at a Leupold VX-R scope for dual-purpose, maybe the Patrol variation of it. Gives you the adjustability for tactical situations, the 1 MOA firedot for low light, plus really good glass for both purposes. The 3-9x40 Patrol should do what you're looking for, and you can find them in the $600-$650 range. Hope this helps -- good luck!

Nightforce SHV was designed for this application.

Makes your price point too.

BMT

I will throw this into the mix should you want a bit more magnification, the SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD FFP scope. I have one on my multi-purpose (mostly tactical) rifle build, and I'm very impressed with it. The glass is amazing and I am able to see things at the dead of night pretty well, much better than my previous Leupold VX3 that I used. You can find them non illuminated for around $1000 used, and the illuminated for a bit more. The other choices that you have narrowed your search down to are all quality scopes as well.

Horus Hunter. Comes with MRAD or MOA grids. If you need mor magnification and parallax adjustment, then the raptor is for you.

The LRHS does have "very" good glass in it! If you can live without illume it would be the clear winner just because of the excellent features it has.

I pulled the trigger on the Bushnell. I really appreciate all the feedback. I think this will serve the dual role of a target/hunting rifle.

Now for the next obvious newb question. What rings do I need? The rifle came with a Badger 20MOA base so I'm assuming Badger low rings would work just fine but they are pricey. Any other suggestions.

I have used Seekins (&Vortex), Nightforce, Near, Aadland, American Rifle Co, and others I'm sure, all without issue. I really like Seekins design. I have had problems with Leupold (cheap ones), talley, Millet (never again, even on a pellet rifle), Burris, and Weaver. I don't have any more scopes that don't justify the cost of good rings.