• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

hydraulic buffers

slinkyguy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
I would like to know if there would be a noticeable benefit in recoil reduction to stay on target by adding a hydraulic buffer to a semi-auto barret 6.8. Went with the higher caliber for more pop, but would like to improve the time it takes to get back on target given the recoil.

Re: hydraulic buffers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slinkyguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to know if there would be a noticeable benefit in recoil reduction to stay on target by adding a hydraulic buffer to a semi-auto barret 6.8. Went with the higher caliber for more pop, but would like to improve the time it takes to get back on target given the recoil. </div></div>

1.) Get a can (suppressor)

or

2.) Get a compensator, until you can afford a can.

These are the two BEST methods for reducing recoil.

I have an AR-Restor in a 6.5Creedmoor AR-10, I like it better than the stock buffer and it still cycles perfect.

JP rifles also has a low mass set up you could look into.

I watched a great video on the FSC compensator on a fully auto 6.8. It was unbelievable how steady the muzzle was.

Ive used a surefire brake on an ar chambered in 6.8 and it definitely reduces felt recoil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slinkyguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to know if there would be a noticeable benefit in recoil reduction to stay on target by adding a hydraulic buffer to a semi-auto barret 6.8. Went with the higher caliber for more pop, but would like to improve the time it takes to get back on target given the recoil. </div></div>

Hydraulic buffers work pretty darn well. They have been know to break so probably not the best choice for a hard use weapon.

The ITT Enidine Hydraulic buffers http://www.enidine-defense.com/ make a noticeable difference in dampening recoil impulse and aiding in more rapid follow up shots.

Crane NSWC installs these units in the SEAL SOPMOD, Mk12 and Mk18 rifles. I have never had one fail and we use them on our builds.

They also make the hydraulic buffers which are standard issue on the M249, Mk46, M240B, as well as units for artillery, etc

Another option would be to get a heavier buffer than stock...like an H1 or H2. Use that in conjuction with a good compensator and you shoot have little muzzle flip.

Hydraulic buffers while they do reduce recoil in my opinion is adding one more part that could fail on a weapon. Its overkill unless you are shooting 3rd burst or full auto. Stock buffers, heavy buffers, and compensators work just as good and don't have the failure potential.

Unless your shooting full auto I would stick with a heavier buffer or different comp.

Why add a point of failure in a gun?

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another option would be to get a heavier buffer than stock...like an H1 or H2. Use that in conjuction with a good compensator and you shoot have little muzzle flip.

Hydraulic buffers while they do reduce recoil in my opinion is adding one more part that could fail on a weapon. Its overkill unless you are shooting 3rd burst or full auto. Stock buffers, heavy buffers, and compensators work just as good and don't have the failure potential.

Unless your shooting full auto I would stick with a heavier buffer or different comp. </div></div>

A) They work better than a heavy buffer
B) We have a lot of them out there with LE units in high round count rifles and have never had one fail. In addition, I know the guys at Crane and they wouldnt be putting them in if they were prone to failure. They also wouldnt be part of the operating systems of the M249, Mk46 and M240 if they were prone to fialure.

Its simply not realistic to assume a civilain could heap more abuse on an AR than the above applications and if there is a noticable benefit, which in my experience there is, then why not use one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another option would be to get a heavier buffer than stock...like an H1 or H2. Use that in conjuction with a good compensator and you shoot have little muzzle flip.

Unless your shooting full auto I would stick with a heavier buffer or different comp. </div></div>

A) They work better than a heavy buffer
B) We have a lot of them out there with LE units in high round count rifles and have never had one fail. In addition, I know the guys at Crane and they wouldnt be putting them in if they were prone to failure. They also wouldnt be part of the operating systems of the M249, Mk46 and M240 if they were prone to fialure.

Its simply not realistic to assume a civilain could heap more abuse on an AR than the above applications and if there is a noticable benefit, which in my experience there is, then why not use one?

</div></div>

What is the cost on these, and where can they be found? If the price point is reasonable I would consider getting one for my 308 build.

I run the Enidine buffers in my ARs. Both rifles have been totally reliable and the buffer does help reduce recoil.

I have a Enidine buffer and took it out because of the bolt not locking back sometimes and in my case an H2 buffer with standard collapsible stock spring was smoother feeling. With that said i think that if i were using hotter ammo or had a gas port that was a little larger things may be different.

The upper consisted of:
- 12.5" Noveske barrel with their standard low profile block
- YM National Match carrier that was ion bond coated
- Upper receiver is a forged Vltor MUR.

The ammo was mostly Winchester whitebox 55gr. .223.

I have another upper i could try it on using the same lower if your curious. Its a different length barrel and gas system but I could try to compare just the buffer differences. On the above upper it may have just been worked out to have just enough power to work well. If the upper was over-gassed i may have seen more of the hydraulic action going on which could make a difference in how it felt to me.

I was looking for something to help with followups as well and didnt want a brake so thats why i tried the Enidine buffer as well as Tubbs flatwire springs. I have a suppressor but dont always want to use it so thats why i was looking at other options.

Im running a enidine shorty in a MA-Ten w/UBR/18.5"/JP Adj Gas Block & Bennie Cooley brake large profile w/ Tubbs Flatwire and Carrier Weight System (heaviest)
I only shoot SW Ammo 175 standards, she loves them

The CWS was the final piece to the puzzle(for now) and the Adj GB dials it all in.
Next piece is a can.
Staying on target is a breeze.

Zero Failures since I switched to the Adj GB

Shes a powder puff when it comes to recoil
Plus she is so so gentle on brass. I have no marking on my spent casings whats so ever.
Too bad I dont reload

Hope this helps
AL

this thread is making me consider trying out a hydralic buffer on both my .308s and my M4 that is being built. If it works better than just putting in a heavier buffer then I will be very pleased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlkExp98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Enidine buffer and took it out because of the bolt not locking back sometimes and in my case an H2 buffer with standard collapsible stock spring was smoother feeling. With that said i think that if i were using hotter ammo or had a gas port that was a little larger things may be different.

The upper consisted of:
- 12.5" Noveske barrel with their standard low profile block
- YM National Match carrier that was ion bond coated
- Upper receiver is a forged Vltor MUR.

The ammo was mostly Winchester whitebox 55gr. .223.

I have another upper i could try it on using the same lower if your curious. Its a different length barrel and gas system but I could try to compare just the buffer differences. On the above upper it may have just been worked out to have just enough power to work well. If the upper was over-gassed i may have seen more of the hydraulic action going on which could make a difference in how it felt to me.

I was looking for something to help with followups as well and didnt want a brake so thats why i tried the Enidine buffer as well as Tubbs flatwire springs. I have a suppressor but dont always want to use it so thats why i was looking at other options. </div></div>

The Tubbs spring is way too much spring for a M4 buffer tube system with a 12.5" Noveske, not enough dwell time, especially with lighter, faster bullets. I use the Tactical Springs "White" http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html in combinations with the Enidine and the 12.5" (or shorter) Noveske barrel.

I put an Enidine buffer into my Army-issue M4. There was a significant reduction in recoil. Also, in full-auto it was easier to control as it also lowered the cyclic rate of the weapon.

As for failure, mine never did. Seemed like a well-built quality piece of gear. I figured even if the hydraulic portion ever did fail it would probably still function as a normal buffer and not make the weapon inoperable. That said, I probably put about 5,000 rounds through with that buffer in the desert with no issues. Will be getting another one for my POF.