• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Hydro Dipping

Brokenbone

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2012
WNC
To dip or not to dip. I just got my build back from my gunsmith.He did an awesome job on the rife, the bedding was extensive.Do you think hydro dipping could screw up the bedding compound, mixing chemicals and such.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't see how hydrodipping would affect the bedding. I say go for it.

When I had one of my stocks hydro -dipped, I had them tape off the bedding. They did a nice job - so - it can be done.

DSC_0242.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: LG65CM
if you are concerned about contact thickness of a dip film - you can always remove just those areas (easy enough) and it will not affect your bedding tolerances and or/compression of the film... Interesting observation about hydro-dipping - I paid a reputable/experienced outfit here in WI to do a pair of CCW Glock 26 (plus magazines) as my wife and I had identical weapons... her pattern is still holding strong, while mine I had stripped about a year later due to wear and flaking (I practice with mine quite a bit, so it was not unexpected), with that said, - my original dipped magazine +2 extensions are STILL looking as these were just dipped recently.
in short - it is type of a product which will last a good while and is fairly resistant to common gun cleaners and lubricants.

I had my frame on my Glock 17 done years ago, still holding strong with no deterioration after thousands of holster actions. Additionally, crawling on the ground and taking training classes in the rain and mud, no change. If it's done correctly. It will last.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Have several done, all have held up well, if you are really hard on them you can have a clear coat of cerakote put over it, super durable then.
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG

I had two shotguns dipped around 2000. Both are hunted hard every waterfowl season. The stuff is amazingly durable. They're chipped and cuffed in places, mostly from my abuse...