• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Hydro-Dipping

Re: Hydro-Dipping

never used those places before.....but I have used www.sahydrografix.com on several occasions since they are here in San Antonio, a bit farther from you though. I have several "dipped" rifles and they all look great. Cool process....

Thanks guys. I was hoping someone here has dealt with these companies as they are somewhat local to me. I want to run a chassis system through the process and I would prefer to support local companies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. I was hoping someone here has dealt with these companies as they are somewhat local to me. I want to run a chassis system through the process and I would prefer to support local companies. </div></div>

i called and talked to hydrodip company and have seriously thought about multicam dipping my whole rifle.

It seems like many of the Hydro-Dip companies all seem to have the same simple website, Maybe that comes with the price to be dealer.
Here's a Duracoat option for you in Oregon if your interested, their work looks great and they do staplers too
laugh.gif

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/guncoat-northwest/49209-gallery.html

Check out Oregon Hydrodiping they do alot of the factory guns and and bows. There is a review of them on Shooterreview.com they had a Desert tactical Arms 308win. 338lapua.in tiger stripe as well as a bushmaster ACR in the new ATACS camo. The rifles turned out great as I have handled them. Sorry I don't know how to link to the web site as I am computer stupid.

Thanks guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spanky4888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never used those places before.....but I have used www.sahydrografix.com on several occasions since they are here in San Antonio, a bit farther from you though. I have several "dipped" rifles and they all look great. Cool process.... </div></div>

Do you have some pictures of what they did for you…I live in Austin and would like to get some things dipped.
Thanks

I would love to get some things dipped but i am afraid of the durability. Anybody have any reviews on the durability of these hydro dips?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydro dipping looks great but if you plan on using your rifle its not going to last. Just a heads up.</div></div>

bullshit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydro dipping looks great but if you plan on using your rifle its not going to last. Just a heads up. </div></div>

you are way wrong... it is tough as nails ! I know, I have one done !

Well! Don’t think I can sum it up any better than Nick.

I spent over 20 plus years designing Horton Crossbows and related accessories and can tell you if done right it will last a LONG time. I had tens of thousands of parts decorated by the leaders in the industry and have been to their facilities numerous times over the years. I had some personal shotguns done almost 20 years ago that have held up well. So well they still look as good as the day they were done. You want to test your gear, become a duck hunter. Guns are in all kind of stupid weather and thrown in and out of boats and blinds. Honestly, I have not evened wiped some of my guns down and there is no rust.

They key, just like anything is the prep and the correct base coat. All the Hydrographic processes require a wet or painted base coat be applied prior to film dipping. After that, if done correctly a top coat sealer is applied. The key to the whole thing is base coat compatibility with the substrate it’s being applied to. Obviously plastic acts different than metal.

Again, if done correct it’s even pretty hard to scratch. The process hides so much. That's one of the reason manufactures like it so much today. They don’t have to work as hard to polish parts and it makes a shit piece of wood look great!

Today there are a lot of 3rd party processors out there trying to make a buck taking short cuts. As long as you get a good one you should not have any problems. There are a few different technologies or licenses that exist. Patterns and color can and will look different from processor to processor in the same camo so look close at what they are offering before you select.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydro dipping looks great but if you plan on using your rifle its not going to last. Just a heads up. </div></div>

Well,
I have to disagree. I will say that the actual film is very thin and "fragile" if you want to call it that. That is part of the process....hell, its basically a film that is turned into a liquid to help with the application. The ultimate product is only as tough as the top coat that you put on it ( along with the base coat that is compatible with the film being used as mentioned above ). I use an industrial grade base and mattt clear coat with a hardner on the things that I camo and I will put the wear resistance up against any Cerakote, duracoat, Norrells, etc. This coating is at least as resistant to abrasion as the above listed products and they all work pretty damn good on our rifles, why would the stock be different?

Actually, I started off using duracoat Matt clear to finish the items in before I went to the indusrtial clear, honestly its pretty damn tough. If you got a piece that was easily scratched, I would bet the person applying the pattern either left it un-finished or used a cheap clear to finish it in.

Long story short, the actual film should never be the top coat...the final layer should be something that has the durability you are looking for, just like a top coat on your rifle...... cerakote, duracoat, KG, etc....

Just my 02 cents worth.......from someone that actually applies the stuff.