• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hydro dipping

fmsniper

1st Sergeant
Minuteman
anyone tried Hydro dipping their Semi auto, I am going to get a kit and give it a try?
Kings%20Skulls%20007.jpg

random_aug10%20029.jpg

0061.jpg

march1-10%20004.CR2.jpg

these are many of the patterns i found

Re: Hydro dipping

The diy kit is not a bad idea but it just requires that you do the prep work yourself. What they dont show in the video is clear coating the product after to protect the surface. If you dont have the equipment and experience this is where it can be difficult.

I'm a big fan of doing everything myself but in this case it's not worth the hassel if and when something goes wrong.

Where did you find those patterns? I'm digging the multicam with skulls in it!

I have been going to get my receivers done but am holding off for now but I did get a set of AICS panels done recently and they look good.

Love the dipped skulls by the way!

Here is a quick look, the rest will be shown after I am home on vacation and get them put on.

AudreySkins_3a.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been going to get my receivers done but am holding off for now but I did get a set of AICS panels done recently and they look good.

Love the dipped skulls by the way!

Here is a quick look, the rest will be shown after I am home on vacation and get them put on.

AudreySkins_3a.jpg

</div></div>

Now that looks great, and a real change from the camo thing! Congrats!

Just an FYI I have some really good friends who do this for a living.

They are based here in Spokane, WA. Company is called Liquid Transformations.

I'll tag this post and update you all when my black rifle is done. We're doing it in a desert digital. Its a really cool process and these guys do a stellar job.

If anyone is interested in talking to them rather than risking screwing up your own rifle let me know and I can get you in touch with them.

I'm going to also be taking the stock for my Steyr SBS tactical in to them today. Maybe I can get some video of the process to show off.

After it's dipped, you'll have a bit of cleanup to do around the mag catch, bolt release, and any other 'moving part' area in my experience (with only two). A pointed scraper is usefull for cleaning out those areas otherwise the built up thickness binds up a few parts. Pretty easy to fix by just working your way around the receiver and cleaning it up though.

Yes, ATACS is available along with just about every other color combo and pattern you can dream up. Google and start looking at different vendors, you'd be suprised.

I used Chris Roberts (roberts outdoors hydrographics). But there are many to choose from!

Spokane-

Ask your friends in the business what kind of primer they recommend using for synthetic stocks. I did a stock the other week and the print turned out awesome but i don't think the primer adhered as well as it should have. I scrubbed the stock with a very aggressive scotchbrite pad as I'd seen on youtube then primed it with a couple coats. After it dried for a day I dipped and it really turned out pretty sweet. I was fooling around after it had dried and It doesn't seem as though the primer worked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd recommend just giving them a call. They are great guys. Obviously they'll probably suggest you have them do it since they are trained in the process but I'm sure beings that they are hobbiest's themselves they wouldn't mind helping to answer questions for a DIY'er.

They have a website up now to accompany their facebook page.

www.liquidtransformations.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Liquid-Transformations/154128701301821

If you do contact them let them know Mike Bush referred you to them. I guarantee they'll be helpful for any questions you might have. I'll also have some pics of my dipped M4gery today. I got some teaser pics on the phone but I'll wait til i can snap some better ones to post.

edit #2
Ok so I am to antsy and excited to see it. Guys sent me a teaser.

ar15.JPG

Couple things to note. The front site/gas block is not dipped because I am going to be going to a rail gas block in the near future and thus that will be removed and section of the barrel will be covered. Also, did not have them do the rear sight as I didn't want to risk the distance indicators on the adjustment knob. They are already worn. The charging handle, well its meant to move with ease. Didn't want to add any coating to that for logical reasons.

Discussing throwing a base coat of tan to the tube and ring. Overall though it looks awesome IMO.

We'll also be starting a project on my Remington 700 AAC-SD. We are going to apply an ATAC camo to the barrel, action and glass. Not touching the Houge stock since we don't want to risk losing the rubberized finish on it. I'll post more of that as we work on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been going to get my receivers done but am holding off for now but I did get a set of AICS panels done recently and they look good.

AudreySkins_3a.jpg

</div></div>

Outstanding, never seen one done this way!

Man, that stuff looks amazing. That multicam AICS is badass... I think I wanna do that. How durable are are these coatings, compared to Duracoat?

I'll be able to answer that in the coming weeks. The coating is still fresh so it needs to cure. That is a big key factor. If you don't let it cure you'll have a much higher probability of damaging the coating.

I'll try to get out this weekend so long as old man winter hold off a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3006Spokane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be able to answer that in the coming weeks. The coating is still fresh so it needs to cure. That is a big key factor. If you don't let it cure you'll have a much higher probability of damaging the coating.

I'll try to get out this weekend so long as old man winter hold off a bit. </div></div>

you ever get out to test this stuff? Just by looking at it, I think it would hold up pretty well if you could coat it a couple times with some flat clearcoat or some kind of sealant. Would be really cool if they make some textured flat clearcoat paint, you could spray that on and have minimal reflection with texture.

I am going to get the diy kit and try it on one of my stocks. As for the clearcoat just go to an auto paint store and have them sell you a spray can and do it yourself.

Everyone I have spoken to that has done it themselves says DONT DO IT!!

Its much harder apparently than the videos on youtube make it seem.

By the time you account for the materials, wasted materials and time, its cheaper to just pay someone.

I ended up just sending mine off and dont regret it.

P6252106-vi.jpg

P6252116-vi.jpg

I really like the way the black rails and other metal accent the camo. That picture could really cost people some serious money.

In the second image. I think this is a snake.
(Much like a snake.)

K2 Concepts on YouTube has a forum on it but I know nothing much about it, other than it looks like it takes some large tanks....