• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hypothetically

WT1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
So YOU got dumped off and your unit took a hit and can't make it back that way to get you but the return trip isn't that far. You are on foot and things are about to flip on so you take an inventory and realize you are kind of low and you and your pal take a hike. You roll up on another unit from a coalition force and get cleared to enter. When you get placed with their two man team the subject of cartridges comes up while you are waiting for word on return.

Question: Which of the following 30 caliber projectiles in 308/7.62 are you going to be most confident with if they load you up for the rest of your return trip? You don't know where they were manufactured or what they fly like in your rig but you are sufficiently confident they will work reliably and consistently due to the reputation of the military that uses them.

You are running a bolt.

M80's (150's, 149's, 147's and whatever else grain weight you will see them in)

Dedicated long range
155's
168's
175's
174's

Pick one by grain weight and write your response if you'd like by replying.

Last edited:
How many Chuck Norris jokes and "Wagner loves the cock" do I get to write in their porta shitters before we step off?

i'm not sure i understand the question, but i would choose 175gr and hope they are 175gr. smk.

Reactions: WT1
Depends, but let's get the important shit out of the way right off the bat. Do you have a 1687 with your name on it and both digital and wet signatures from the Commander (or XO with Assumption of Command orders attached) in order to sign the 5515 for the ammo? Ammo handlers card signed by the BC, HAZ 11 certs? I mean for fucks sake! Does your unit that you got separated from even have the weapons density to support that draw?! And what about their STRAC allocation? Did you even think about that?! I mean whats their 89B supposed to do when you walk off withthe residue? Catch a convoy back to the "Green Zone" to get their BC's signature on the Consumption/ Loss statement to clear the 585 at the ASP years later when the war is over?!

Jeez! Do you even operate Bro?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I do not. I make firearms from time to time on my own and have made firearm barrels while working for what is probably the premiere barrel manufacturer, up to the highest caliber for one man weapon systems as well as two-man, every caliber from 30 caliber to 500 plus calibers for big game. My knowledge is primarily in getting machinery to make something in this regard. I have never even been in the military. I'm just basing my question off of articles I've read in foreign newspapers and so forth and that's where the question originated. If you want to answer it, great. I'd like to hear what insight if any you can offer.

I am usually operating machines, if that is what you are asking me, if I am operating outside of my normal duties.

And this inquiry is my own and not on behalf of anyone or any business or organization.

So yeah.

So it hasn't happened to you apparently, and obviously since I have not been in the military it hasn't happened to me where I've been in that scenario, what do you think you yourself would do if you were in that situation, just off the top of your head you know, would you be more confident with a certain bullet grain weight? I bet you have already thought about it. What's your take on that? I'd like to hear what you think?

Last edited:
Beggars can’t be choosers. I will take what I’m offered and thank them as my life might depend on it.

Reactions: Fullquiver
I'm sorry. I'm just teasing a little. Making fun of, " Army: What people think it's like vs. What it's actually like." 🤣

Here's an ernest answer, out of respect to you. Two at the same time.

1. M118LR

2. A Lee Handpress and a 500rd box of bullets you know your barrel likes. Then you can take whatever is available and then "mexican-match" it. This actually used to be taught in a SOF Sniper course.
So far that's two for 175's in some form or another and a guy on the move,

So YOU got dumped off and your unit took a hit and can't make it back that way to get you but the return trip isn't that far. You are on foot and things are about to flip on so you take an inventory and realize you are kind of low and you and your pal take a hike. You roll up on another unit from a coalition force and get cleared to enter. When you get placed with their two man team the subject of cartridges comes up while you are waiting for word on return.

Question: Which of the following 30 caliber projectiles in 308/7.62 are you going to be most confident with if they load you up for the rest of your return trip? You don't know where they were manufactured or what they fly like in your rig but you are sufficiently confident they will work reliably and consistently due to the reputation of the military that uses them.

You are running a bolt.

M80's (150's, 149's, 147's and whatever else grain weight you will see them in)

Dedicated long range
155's
168's
175's
174's

Pick one by grain weight and write your response if you'd like by replying.
The difference in trajectory with any of those isn't enough to amount to much out to 500 yards.

The more significant difference will be in the zero shift. That can't be accounted for with unknown ammo without re-zeroing.

Reactions: WT1
If you are sampling military stuff you want 175, if I was building something dedicated or hand loaded I would look at the 185 for a 308 today. But 500 yards is really not enough to separate the pack, they all will be pretty similar at that range depending on how fast you throw them.

Sounds like you want to cut something bullet specific, those benefits are more so after 600.

As far as pulling links and shooting other stuff, like a battlefield pickup, we always kept notes for that, most of the time you are dealing with machine gun ammo, you grab 1/2 a belt from someone. We had offsets recorded. Inside 600 that stuff is better than nothing.

Back in the day, we shot 173gr, however, I always carried a box or two of my own stuff, "in case". (they never checked us back in the day we got away with things they could never today) At the time you only had a choice of 168s. So we carried a few spare rounds of that in the bottom of our pack just in case. Unaccountability is a word. The USMC doesn't do admins like the Army, we just took what we wanted, if you said no, we stole it from someone else, usually from the reservist. STA PLT was short for STEAL, TAKE, and ACQUIRE, we practiced stalking by stealing shit from other units. Who can get into their area, steal something and get out without getting caught?

If you are sampling military stuff you want 175, if I was building something dedicated or hand loaded I would look at the 185 for a 308 today. But 500 yards is really not enough to separate the pack, they all will be pretty similar at that range depending on how fast you throw them.

Sounds like you want to cut something bullet specific, those benefits are more so after 600.

As far as pulling links and shooting other stuff, like a battlefield pickup, we always kept notes for that, most of the time you are dealing with machine gun ammo, you grab 1/2 a belt from someone. We had offsets recorded. Inside 600 that stuff is better than nothing.

Back in the day, we shot 173gr, however, I always carried a box or two of my own stuff, "in case". (they never checked us back in the day we got away with things they could never today) At the time you only had a choice of 168s. So we carried a few spare rounds of that in the bottom of our pack just in case. Unaccountability is a word. The USMC doesn't do admins like the Army, we just took what we wanted, if you said no, we stole it from someone else, usually from the reservist. STA PLT was short for STEAL, TAKE, and ACQUIRE, we practiced stalking by stealing shit from other units. Who can get into their area, steal something and get out without getting caught?
That Army and Marine stuff sounds like some high speed stuff.

Thank you. I'm really enjoying the articles I read by Frank G in Gun Digest Magazine!