• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I’m no submarine expert…..

7.62willdo

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Last edited:
    I mean, have ya tried cocaine and brainstorming.
    BAD5B411-0C24-4E90-B987-05472DA78D99.png

WTF? I dont know what intrigues me more. The homemade mini sub or the fact that Colombia has a Navy.

Maybe @mikeinfwa can share a few seamen anecdotes from his travels to Colombia. Oh Wait, wrong thread. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
    Reactions: camocorvette
    I guess they're really called semi-submersibles. Gotta give em credit for creativity, if not quality control.

The are built in the middle of the jungle in improvised shops so they are quite impressive ,given conditions where they are built under and nature of their mission which is to make one one way trip.
    Some are true submarines but most are just low-profile boats

Last edited:
    Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
    I guess they're really called semi-submersibles. Gotta give em credit for creativity, if not quality control.

OIP.su3Jv6Eq3w2Q19AuHx82aAHaFD
    View attachment 8096709

View attachment 8096710
    OIP.BpjgLJ_HU5nueEP-YG0WXwHaD3
    Exactamente compa.

They aint "submarines" in the sense of a nation-state's Navy.
    Theyre made to sit right at the waterline to avoid radar and be very hard to see. They seem to be more successful than go-fast boats and have largely replaced that method of running the Coast Guard/DEA gauntlet.

However theres been rumors for years now that the Sinaloa Cartel, the Norte del Valle Cartel, los Urabenos, and others were able to successfully get their hands on a legit old Soviet sub or possibly even built one themselves(this is a huge ask) but none have been intercepted on the high seas to date. I believe they caught a true sub in the middle of construction as @Mr.BR posted...

"El Rey" Zambada in the Chapo trial testified that Chapo has(err.. had) multiple true subs, not just semi-subs.

Im more interested in cases like this..

Last edited:
    Columbian cartels were actually shopping for one of the Soviet subs parked in Ukraine in the early 90's but ultimately deal did not go trough.

Former mob enforcer and strip club owner Ludwig 'Tarzan' Fainberg, exotic car importer Juan Almeida and Cuban immigrant Nelson 'Tony' Yester ,planned to buy a Soviet submarine for the Cali drug cartel of Colombia for the purposes of trafficking cocaine
    Tarzan and Tony even toured a Russian naval base and posed near a submarine with Russian military officers to show the cartel evidence the deal could be done.

metro-web-courtesy_of_showtime.jpg

It would not be that hard to build, especially in steel, if they knew what they were doing. If a true sub, they could cruise at 4 knots during the day underwater, and 12-16 knots at night. Could use a snorkel to pull air in while cruising U/W if they wanted. A 200 hp diesel would propel a 60' sub at hull speed (10 knots). An 80' boat would have a hull speed of 12 knots, would burn about 5 gallons an hour at 10-11 knots. Would be a fun project.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
    It would not be that hard to build, especially in steel, if they knew what they were doing. If a true sub, they could cruise at 4 knots during the day underwater, and 12-16 knots at night. Could use a snorkel to pull air in while cruising U/W if they wanted. A 200 hp diesel would propel a 60' sub at hull speed (10 knots). An 80' boat would have a hull speed of 12 knots, would burn about 5 gallons an hour at 10-11 knots. Would be a fun project.

They know their stuff ,they are often limited only by the covert jungle workshops.
    Narco_cutaway_white.jpg

nacro_Timbiqui.jpg

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
    I imagine them Narcos looking at Ukraine and thinking, we should buy us some of them Chinese drones and balloons , we can ship cocaine express over US border . Drone subs coming next , could make them half the size/cost of maned ones for same cargo

Columbian cartels were actually shopping for one of the Soviet subs parked in Ukraine in the early 90's but ultimately deal did not go trough.

Former mob enforcer and strip club owner Ludwig 'Tarzan' Fainberg, exotic car importer Juan Almeida and Cuban immigrant Nelson 'Tony' Yester ,planned to buy a Soviet submarine for the Cali drug cartel of Colombia for the purposes of trafficking cocaine
    Tarzan and Tony even toured a Russian naval base and posed near a submarine with Russian military officers to show the cartel evidence the deal could be done.

metro-web-courtesy_of_showtime.jpg

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, I HIGHLY recommend watching Operation Odessa, probably one of the best documentaries out there that had me laughing hysterically. I actually ended up in Nelson Yester's hangar in Johannesburg unbeknownst to me the year the documentary came out where he had his Aero L39 and a couple of other planes.

Operation Odessa is certainly worth the watch.

Some 2020 news about Yester:

Reactions: Maciej