• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes I bought a NF 4-15x50 for 394.00 no joke

daltexmex

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
Fort worth, Texas
www.facebook.com
Well i have a story to tell you that will make you mad. I work at a gun range here in Dallas called elm fork. a couple days ago my friends tells me that we have a nightforce this one excactly http://nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/3_5-15x50_F1/3_5-15x50_f1.html that they were selling for <span style="font-weight: bold">394.00</span> dollars. I a not a rich man so this is probably the only NF scope i will ever get my hands on. So i jumped on it. I start thinking about the rifle I am gonna put it on and take a picture and show it off to all you guys on here via the pictures on the side. I was really happy fellas. real happy, that is till the guy who sold me the glass called me over to him and said he needed the scope back that the owner had already sold it for 900 bucks. But he never told him so it was in the counter with a for sale sign on it that read 394.00. Like a stupid ass i gave it back. If i would of had a night with the scope and they would of called me the next morning and told me i had to give it back i would of said no, but i did not have a night with it. Like a sap i went to my trunk and pulled it out and handed it back. I ask you gentlemen what would you have done if it was just a little PT job i have and they did this to you?

Re: I bought a NF 4-15x50 for 394.00 no joke

I wouldn't buy one that cheap, I would have to think it was stolen.

But if it was on the up and up and I had a reciept of purchase....tough luck to the other guy.

Reactions: davidb187

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't buy one that cheap, I would have to think it was stolen.

But if it was on the up and up and I had a reciept of purchase....tough luck to the other guy.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't buy one that cheap, I would have to think it was stolen.

But if it was on the up and up and I had a reciept of purchase....tough luck to the other guy.</div></div>

The owner is a team berreta shooter and has a hunting show. He gets this for free.

Honestly i wouldn't of given it back as far as i am aware there are no laws on it, you've paid what he has asked so its yours
only thing you will get is a f***** up moral compass, but unlucky man you did the right thing...i suppose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daltexmex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The owner is a team berreta shooter and has a hunting show. He gets this for free. </div></div>

So it is the guy from Wild and Raw? If he sold it to me and I put it in my truck that is where it would stay. He can get another and sell it to the guy who paid $900.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daltexmex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The owner is a team berreta shooter and has a hunting show. He gets this for free. </div></div>

So it is the guy from Wild and Raw? If he sold it to me and I put it in my truck that is where it would stay. He can get another and sell it to the guy who paid $900.</div></div>

Yes that is him.

IMO there is no morality issue. He sold it for a price, rather rediculous or not, then reneged for a higher sale offer. Like I said, piss off, middle fingers up, walked out the door.

Yes, I would have given it back, it was the right thing to do. I was shopping for a Colt SAA a couple years ago and found a really nice second generation revolver. It was mispriced on the low side by several hundred dollars; although I wanted it, I told the store's owner and he was very grateful. What you gain for yourself, you often take away from someone else.

You did the right thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">now he is a 5 time skeet world champion and he hits what he aims at. I hope his isnt as big of a tool as he appears to be on tv</div></div>

Well I dont really talk to him. Our range is split up into two ranges. one is skeet range and the other is rifle/pistol. They pretty much stay on the skeet side. I work over at the pistol side. I will nor confirm nor deny the tool part thou.

I am glad it was you and not me. I may have had more trouble giving it back. Probably would have, <span style="font-weight: bold">but might not have. </span>

You paid what was asked, and the deal was done. It would have been the deal of a lifetime.

Hopefully that good karma you get will mount on top of your rifle, but I bet it will not have a NP-R2 reticle.

Man what a deal that was!
cry.gif

His hunting show was just on a little while ago - he's pretty full of himself!!

I have to honestly say I would not of given it back, you paid for the item in question. Since you did give it back I would go to the owner and ask something in the way of getting you a deal on another optic or something along that line, it would only be fair.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I would have given it back, it was the right thing to do. I was shopping for a Colt SAA a couple years ago and found a really nice second generation revolver. It was mispriced on the low side by several hundred dollars; although I wanted it, I told the store's owner and he was very grateful. What you gain for yourself, you often take away from someone else.

You did the right thing.</div></div>

Your situation I would say yes you may have done the right thing. Was the gun price mislabeled or did he just not know what it was worth? Even if he didn't know there is nothing wrong with telling him. However for Daltexmex I would say you did the wrong thing. The guy KNEW how much he was selling it for, if he didn't know a NF was worth more than $394 maybe he should have done some research before selling it. IF you had already paid I would say it was done deal. He sounds like a jackass for even asking for the scope back. That is some bullshit if you ask me. It is just bad ethics whether a personal or professional sale.

4-15x50? Guess Nightforce decided to round up to the next digit. Just busting your balls, I know it was a typo (I hope).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4-15x50? Guess Nightforce decided to round up to the next digit. Just busting your balls, I know it was a typo (I hope).</div></div>

Hey I cant afford them.

When I was a kid, my mom used to use a term for people who pull that shit...indian givers. I probably would have given it back also, because I tend to let my ethics get the better of me. If this guy was someone that I had any regard for, I wouldn't chance derailing a relationship just to save some dough; it isn't worth it in the long run. However, it always burns my ass knowing there is a good chance that I wouldn't have received the same courtesy if I fucked up.

I am puzzled though. Why in the hell was this guy fire selling a 2k scope for less than a 5th of it's value? Sounds like something a junkie would do.

Agreed, if it was someone I had any regard for I wouldn't have bought it for that price in the first place. I would have gave him more or told him to sell it elsewhere for more.
Palmik you say you tend to let your ethics get the better of you, well I don't think your ethics should be questioned for not giving it back, but the seller's should be for wanting to take it back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You did the right thing. Nothing is really free, karma is now on your side. </div></div>

=1 Karma

you will get a good deer this year

im a firm believer of karma, what goes around comes around, so imho you did the right thing, but damn thats a helluva deal!

Yer a better dude than I am , I reckon. The reason he was selling that scope so cheap is because he didn't pay for it himself and in all actuality had no idea what it was worth, until he got called a fool and jacked the price up on someone else, knowing you worked at the range and were easy to track down. He should've eaten his mistake and do a little more investigating next time,before he sells free gratis items. I know it is all for the show, but I keep waiting for Marcus Lattrell to slap the shit out of the dude, personally.....but that's just me. Chalk up another defeat for the little man. Hope yer goodness comes back around to ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yer a better dude than I am , I reckon. The reason he was selling that scope so cheap is because he didn't pay for it himself and in all actuality had no idea what it was worth, until he got called a fool and jacked the price up on someone else, knowing you worked at the range and were easy to track down. He should've eaten his mistake and do a little more investigating next time,before he sells free gratis items. I know it is all for the show, but I keep waiting for Marcus Lattrell to slap the shit out of the dude, personally.....but that's just me. Chalk up another defeat for the little man. Hope yer goodness comes back around to ya.</div></div>

LOL i have to see this show. I have trouble remembering my bosses name.

Let me get this straight--the so called "indian giver" as he was so eloquently referred to above, is YOUR BOSS?

OF COURSE YOU DID THE RIGHT THING! And I further doubt that you had a choice, provided you wanted to keep your job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I would have given it back, it was the right thing to do. I was shopping for a Colt SAA a couple years ago and found a really nice second generation revolver. It was mispriced on the low side by several hundred dollars; although I wanted it, I told the store's owner and he was very grateful. What you gain for yourself, you often take away from someone else.

You did the right thing.</div></div>

Your situation I would say yes you may have done the right thing. Was the gun price mislabeled or did he just not know what it was worth? Even if he didn't know there is nothing wrong with telling him. However for Daltexmex I would say you did the wrong thing. The guy KNEW how much he was selling it for, if he didn't know a NF was worth more than $394 maybe he should have done some research before selling it. IF you had already paid I would say it was done deal. He sounds like a jackass for even asking for the scope back. That is some bullshit if you ask me. It is just bad ethics whether a personal or professional sale. </div></div>

In the case of the mismarked Colt SAA, the store owner's partner simply put the wrong price on it. In the case of the NF scope, I wonder whether someone's handwriting was bad... $894 might look like $394 in poor handwriting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His hunting show was just on a little while ago - he's pretty full of himself!!

</div></div>

I don't know if it was the same show but if it was he was shooting at an elk at 450ish at a fairly steep angle. He decided to dial in for a 400 yard shot and the shot was 3" high so he said that he should have dialed for 300 yards instead. Anybody got a rifle that has only 3" of drop from 300 to 400 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His hunting show was just on a little while ago - he's pretty full of himself!!

</div></div>

I don't know if it was the same show but if it was he was shooting at an elk at 450ish at a fairly steep angle. He decided to dial in for a 400 yard shot and the shot was 3" high so he said that he should have dialed for 300 yards instead. Anybody got a rifle that has only 3" of drop from 300 to 400 yards? </div></div>
When shooting at steep angles you have to aim low. This is because the effect of gravity is less pronounced on projectiles traveling at angles. The steeper the angle the less gravity's effect.

As an example, lets' say that you're shooting uphill at a distance of 450 yards at about a 45 degree angle. If your dope is 2.8 MILs/9.5 MOA, using the <span style="font-style: italic">"Improved Rifleman Method"</span> you would take the cosign of 45 degrees (which is .70) and multiply it by your dope to calculate your corrected-drop.

<span style="font-weight: bold">2.8 (MIL) x .70 = 1.96 MIL
9.5 (MOA) x .70 = 6.65 MOA</span>

Read " <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Angle Shooting - Correcting For The Effects Of Gravity</span></span>" and you'll understand this phenomenon better. Now back-on-topic...

Keith

Daltexmex....i'm calling your bullshit dude...i guess if anyone read your profile ....that would be the first red fucking flag.....

the hosejob you ran here got some all lathered up....and i guess you knew you would....fucker....go away.

night force don't got a 4x15x50....

prove me wrong

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...This is because the effect of gravity is less pronounced on projectiles traveling at angles. The steeper the angle the less gravity's effect...
</div></div>

Your logic and equations are correct Keith, but the wording is a little off. The effect of gravity is always exactly the same in any circumstance. Gravity always exerts a force equal to roughly 9.8 m/s^2 (32 ft/sec^2) on everything on earth. When firing at positive angles, the velocity of a projectile along the y-axis at a distance is different than if it were fired parallel to the x-axis. This is because the projectile comes out climbing at a slowing velocity, stops and then begins its fall toward the ground. It is not until the projectile hits its apex in flight that it begins its fall at a normal predicted velocity relative to horizontal travel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed, if it was someone I had any regard for I wouldn't have bought it for that price in the first place. I would have gave him more or told him to sell it elsewhere for more.
Palmik you say you tend to let your ethics get the better of you, well I don't think your ethics should be questioned for not giving it back, but the seller's should be for wanting to take it back.</div></div>

Ethics does indeed play a part. It is the same concept as receiving too much change from a store clerk accidentally because he miscounted. Once the transaction is done, you are under no obligation to give it back. You should hand it back anyway because knowingly walking out of the store with positive cash flow is similar to swindling, imparting a negative impact upon another individual's livelihood who hadn't violated yours. You would be taking advantage of someone's error for personal gain. You may be correct by justifying that you haven't broken any laws, and cannot be held liable for punishment, but you may have ruined someone else's day. I think the world would be a better place if people held concern for the welfare of their neighbors, rather than banking on any opportunity regardless of the ramifications of their actions. If there were no laws against murder, would you feel righteous shooting a guy dead at a red light because he cut you off on the parkway? I hope not, because I wouldn't.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." -Albert Einstein

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed, if it was someone I had any regard for I wouldn't have bought it for that price in the first place. I would have gave him more or told him to sell it elsewhere for more.
Palmik you say you tend to let your ethics get the better of you, well I don't think your ethics should be questioned for not giving it back, but the seller's should be for wanting to take it back.</div></div>

Ethics does indeed play a part. It is the same concept as receiving too much change from a store clerk accidentally because he miscounted. Once the transaction is done, you are under no obligation to give it back. You should hand it back anyway because knowingly walking out of the store with positive cash flow is similar to swindling, imparting a negative impact upon another individual's livelihood who hadn't violated yours. You would be taking advantage of someone's error for personal gain. You may be correct by justifying that you haven't broken any laws, and cannot be held liable for punishment, but you may have ruined someone else's day. I think the world would be a better place if people held concern for the welfare of their neighbors, rather than banking on any opportunity regardless of the ramifications of their actions. If there were no laws against murder, would you feel righteous shooting a guy dead at a red light because he cut you off on the parkway? I hope not, because I wouldn't.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." -Albert Einstein</div></div>

I agree with you 100%. I strongly believe in morals. Not the religious kind that don't want you to have sex or drink alcohol but the real ones based on honesty and the golden rule. I am definitely a person that gives the change back. But I think you might have missed my point. It seems to me it was an honest sale. So I guess I don't understand why the seller had a right to want the scope back. Maybe I am missing something about the transaction though, not sure. For example If you bought a car, drove it home, then the dealer shows up at your door and wants the car back because Joe Blow is willing to buy it for twice the price you paid. I don't think it would be immoral to keep the car.
I think we are squared away now. Great Einstein quote by the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed, if it was someone I had any regard for I wouldn't have bought it for that price in the first place. I would have gave him more or told him to sell it elsewhere for more.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." -Albert Einstein</div></div>

I agree with you 100%. I strongly believe in morals. Not the religious kind that don't want you to have sex or drink alcohol but the real ones based on honesty and the golden rule. I am definitely a person that gives the change back. But I think you might have missed my point. It seems to me it was an honest sale. So I guess I don't understand why the seller had a right to want the scope back. Maybe I am missing something about the transaction though, not sure. For example If you bought a car, drove it home, then the dealer shows up at your door and wants the car back because Joe Blow is willing to buy it for twice the price you paid. I don't think it would be immoral to keep the car.
I think we are squared away now. Great Einstein quote by the way.</div></div>

If the guy made an honest mistake, that is a separate issue. He is imposing his problems on others because of his own ineptness. It is a shitty thing to do, but he has nothing to lose by trying to fix the situation; I don't see any real harm done by trying, just as long as he is willing take on the full onus for his error if it doesn't work out. It is then at the discretion of the buyer to accommodate him with no obligation to do so. However, if he attempted to go back in time and fabricate some sob story or ultimatum, just so he can break a transaction in order to catch a missed opportunity, that is an outright scumbag move. Even if the seller pulled this dirtbag maneuver, the buyer has to weigh the utility factor if he has any relationship with the seller. If it is believed that the buyer's noble efforts will be marginalized and taken for granted, then he should lambaste the seller for attempting to break a contract and keep the scope. If his noble efforts will be greatly appreciated, and keeping the scope will invoke guilt and shame, then he should give the scope back.

It sounds as if this seller doesn't like to take responsibility for his own actions, and unfortunately, he probably won't ever change. So I would have no problem keeping the scope. If the roles were reversed, it is highly probable that this same seller would keep the scope from the buyer regardless of the buyer's integrity. Needless to say, I think the original buyer should distance himself from this dirtbag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Daltexmex....i'm calling your bullshit dude...i guess if anyone read your profile ....that would be the first red fucking flag.....

the hosejob you ran here got some all lathered up....and i guess you knew you would....fucker....go away.

prove me wrong</div></div>

+1

Whats up with that bullshit in your profile?

Douche

Boltripper's got a point.

Straight from your profile:

Hobbies: Shooting, hunting, lie, cheat and steal

frown.gif
Kinda makes it difficult to believe now... But it sounds like you did not do the cheating and stealing part if you gave it back.

My dad told me when I was a little that a MAN does not lie, cheat or steal. Very suprised to see that in your profile. Might want to look in the mirror and have a little "heart to heart" with the guy you see and then chane your profile. Just a thought.

Cant believe it took you guys this long to see that shit. lol

Some people have nothing better to do that make up dumb shit. I figure they live a lie anyway, they just want to spread it around so they aren't the only one.

sad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Daltexmex....i'm calling your bullshit dude...i guess if anyone read your profile ....that would be the first red fucking flag.....

prove me wrong</div></div>

Bro I wish I was bs you. It is the truth. The reason I don't know the exact number is I am not knowing nf scopes that good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boltripper's got a point.

frown.gif
Kinda makes it difficult to believe now... But it sounds like you did not do the cheating and stealing part if you gave it back.</div></div>

LOL the line "lie, cheat and steal" is a wrestling line a guy use to use. i meant it as a joke. But I am not lying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed, if it was someone I had any regard for I wouldn't have bought it for that price in the first place. I would have gave him more or told him to sell it elsewhere for more.

I think we are squared away now. Great Einstein quote by the way.</div></div>

good point both of you. but what is done is done.

The owner must be a moron or you are just jerking everyone. I *tried* to shoot at Elm Fork but an old crusty range officer pissed me off (I shoot NRA HP and he would not let me shoot prone or sitting - "this is a HUNTING range"). I talked to the guy claiming to be the owner. He said call me and you can come practice - I called a couple times and he wouldn't call me back. So yes, maybe the owner is this dumb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His hunting show was just on a little while ago - he's pretty full of himself!!

</div></div>

I don't know if it was the same show but if it was he was shooting at an elk at 450ish at a fairly steep angle. He decided to dial in for a 400 yard shot and the shot was 3" high so he said that he should have dialed for 300 yards instead. Anybody got a rifle that has only 3" of drop from 300 to 400 yards? </div></div>
When shooting at steep angles you have to aim low. This is because the effect of gravity is less pronounced on projectiles traveling at angles. The steeper the angle the less gravity's effect.

As an example, lets' say that you're shooting uphill at a distance of 450 yards at about a 45 degree angle. If your dope is 2.8 MILs/9.5 MOA, using the <span style="font-style: italic">"Improved Rifleman Method"</span> you would take the cosign of 45 degrees (which is .70) and multiply it by your dope to calculate your corrected-drop.

<span style="font-weight: bold">2.8 (MIL) x .70 = 1.96 MIL
9.5 (MOA) x .70 = 6.65 MOA</span>

Read " <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Angle Shooting - Correcting For The Effects Of Gravity</span></span>" and you'll understand this phenomenon better. Now back-on-topic...

Keith </div></div>

I understand this "phenomenon". He said he was 3" high at 450 yards using his 400 yard dope and said he should have used his 300 yard dope to hit exactly where he wanted to hit. Most modern cartridges have between 2 to 3 moa of drop from 300 to 400 yards. If he would have would have made this kind of correction he would have been way off. 3" is less than .75 moa at 450 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daltexmex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boltripper's got a point.

frown.gif
Kinda makes it difficult to believe now... But it sounds like you did not do the cheating and stealing part if you gave it back.</div></div>

Hehe, I was just messing around anyway. That is amazing, I just with it could happen to me.
LOL the line "lie, cheat and steal" is a wrestling line a guy use to use. i meant it as a joke. But I am not lying. </div></div>

You did the right thing by giving it back.
Not sure if I would have gave it back, just depends on the moment.