• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I bought a savage! Been a Remmy guy, for TOO long.

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
I've read all the posts. I needed to see for my self. Will post results. I'm going to take this one all the way. But, will I be "conclusive". I think .."........"......."......"..........

I love Remington 700s and own 10 of them including 6 customs. But, I've been wanting to try an Ackley improved cartridge and didn't want to invest a couple grand into it. Just put together a Savage build in 6mmAI. Still doing load development but it looks promising.

ptaylortx spoke volumes. I have e a couple rifle ideas in mind (fast twist 22-250 for the hefties; .243 to run hard and hot) that make me think savage might be an option. Burn the barrel and twist on another.

Great! Have fun and good luck with it.

Which model?

It's an old 110V. The gun has an old Leuopold 12X on it. It's a 223, but it's a long action. Thought it would be a good base for a little gun smithing , switch barrel gun, to "try" some different cartridges with. Figure it'll get a new stock, trigger, and another bolt, or bolt face. I'm thinking the mag can be switched, too, fairly easily. Something to tinker with. I need to start looking for parts. Hey Taylor, what stock is that? Just about what I want.

Last edited:
I saw this thread and thought well lrjammer and redneck will be here shortly to piss all over it.......and i'm right. Lol

My father is a big Savage fan. One quote he often says to me is: Fastest way to MOA... LOL! Actually, he'd shoot amazingly with just about any gun I could give him, so in reality, manufacturer has little bearing on his results. Savage just happens to be his personal rifle maker of choice. Good luck and have fun. They are great guns to "tinker" with, and learn on your own, IMO.

You went to the dark side, ouch

Just dipping a toe. No way, I'm selling any of my Remmies, but it looked so alone in the store, and it gives me something to play with, while I wait for the BAT action. I'm thinking like Nashlaw. If it doesn't work out, I'll sell it on Guns America as an uber duper counter sniper rifle.How's that sales pitch go? " Shoots 1/4 MOA, at 100000 Yds.? Reverse twist to counter the coriolis affect. Where do I find those really high rings? Seriously, a friend bought a Savage 20 guage slug gun, ang the damn thing out shoots my M1A.. Figured it was worth a look.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a bobby hart. No block though. I did a devcon bedding job on it. I've got a total of $600 tied up in the whole rig.

ptaylortx spoke volumes. I have e a couple rifle ideas in mind (fast twist 22-250 for the hefties; .243 to run hard and hot) that make me think savage might be an option. Burn the barrel and twist on another.

Also possible with a "Rem-Age".

I'm sorry.
I'm sorry for him too, as it took him so long to find out how much he was missing dealing with the inferior Remington rifle all this time.
Please keep your Remington's, as you'll need loaner rifles and you can always sell them later to fund more savage builds.

Keep the remmies so you can loan them to other participants at the match while you smoke them with your Savage.