• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

I can only get magnum primers...

Morgan321

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2013
I'm trying to get a large quantity of supplies, all the same lot numbers, etc. My only local source of primers and powder only has magnum primers in quantity. I'm loading 30-06, most important thing is consistency. Is it OK to use magnum primers? I would be developing a new load from scratch so if there's no harm I want to switch now while the primers are available in bulk, good price, and all from the same lot.

I can't imagine it would hurt, but I feel dumber after googling this question. Apparently my gun will blow up, the bullet will leave the case before the powder burns, and the sky will fall on my head if I believe what I read on the internet.

You'll be just fine with magnum primers since your starting your load work up. The only thing you can't do with magnum primers is substitute them for standard primers with an existing load. Just remember when you change any component always start low and work your way up and you'll be just fine.

I used to own a Sako TRG in 308 that shot better with mag primers. No ill effects to the rifle.