• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I can't shoot to save myself

pitdog85

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
This is Franks dot drill the dots are the 3/4 inch dots. As you can see it was an epic fail. The centre top and centre far right shots that say Biggs was 2 shots my brother took first time using this gun he did better than me. It seems most of my shots go just down and right off dots.

This is at 100m do I rezero my scope one click left it's 0.1mil per click? I seem to be going around in Curcles with my windage zero. If i. CLick one click left and rezero windage I guarantee next time I'm out something else will be wrong.

The wind was mostly blowing from 7-8 o'clock 2-4mph with gusts around 8-10. I'm not holding left for wind is that enough to Be pushing my shots right at 100m?? On one of the dots I shot you can see I tried to hold left on the dot to allow for wind however the shot went left instead of centre?? So frustrated I think I'm just a shot shot.

After this I hung 3 2 litre milk bottles at 350m which measure 3 inches across and went 3 from 3 with them which I was much happier with. Just seen some I can't shoot a centre dot at 100m to save myself

Attachments

• IMG_1815.JPG
    IMG_1815.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 182
Well, you never showed your point of aim so how are we to determine your scope settings for you.
If you are trying to center that dot under your cross hairs, you are doing yourself a disservice. Why? Cause you are trying to determine a location in two axis at the same time.
Pick a quadrant and hold that. It will be much easier to maintain a good sight picture.
For me, and my eyes, I like to hold at the 9'Oclock edge of the dot. It then becomes very easy to see any vertical shift or, for that matter, horizontal.
You may have other issues with trigger control, alignment behind the scope, not being relaxed and whatever but if you can't aim for shit, how can you hope not to shoot for shit?

Hey man thanks for the reply. Respectfully I have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm trying to aim at the centre of the circles and trying to centre punch them? Isn't that what we are supposed to do here?

If your wondering about re zero’ing your scope; you probably ought to shoot multiple 5 shot groups in the position you shoot most, examine those groups and then make the adjustment. Use a smaller POA as well you so have a more definitive place to hold the reticle.

Quartering a circle can be hard depending the power an the cross hair size. Try a 6 o'clock hold an see how that works for you. You can add enough up to center punch the target. You can move groups, not patterns.
One thing to remember you can increase the target size to define the hold point if you need to. Having a 16 X scope an shooting a 1 moa target is the same as having a 8 X scope an shooting a 2 moa target. I have a 16.5" 223 w/a 8X scope on it at 100yds with a moa target it's a 1.5 moa gun. That same gun, same shooter, same ammo, shooting a 2moa target at 100yds is a 1/2 moa gun. The same gun, ammo, shooter shooting a 3moa target at 100yds an the gun becomes a .25-.375 gun.

The other issue is too much scope trying to hold in the ctr of the black when all you can see is the black, back the power off an try that. One last thing to remember when shooting the same target do not shoot your aiming point out, that induces shadows which causes you to hold different.

A few things:

- I'm looking at shots numbered 1-4; if you're elevation came up by the same amount, you'd be 3/4 or 4/4 in hitting some part of the black circle. I'd be more worried if the shots were all over the place but they are generally in the same area in relation to your point of aim.

- Wind will not have a significant effect on the round at 100m unless you're shooting a 22. Re-zero as I think, assuming your parallax isn't screwing you up, your scope is zero'd .3 low and .2-.3 to the right.

- Are you lifting your head/cheek off the stock between shots? If so, don't.

- Learn how to check for and clear parallax

- What ammo are you shooting; is it even capable of 1moa or less accuracy?

Wow thanks for all te response some fantastic information here I don't know how to respond to all. Some more info it is standard a4 paper the curcles messure approx 3/4 inch. I adjust the parallax I don't think that's the issue. The rifle is a 6.5x47 shooting 139 Scenars. Scope is a fixed 12x swfa so I cannot zoom.

German .3 up would be 3 cm at 100m I think that would be too much maybe I should go .1 up which would be 1cm. And yes I was getting up and walking down to the target and back between shots cursing and kicking shit.

I think my ammo Is ok sometimes it is capabable of shooting a 4 shot 1.25inch group at 300m but other times I can only shoot a 1 inch 10 shot group at 100m it has shot tiny 4 shot groups at 100m when doing a seating depth test but if someone held a gun to my head and said shoot 3 x 5 shot groups at 100m that must all be centre punched and less than .5inch I would be in trouble.

- Getting up and walking to the target isn't your friend. Shoot 5 dots before moving (side to side or top to bottom doesn't matter)
- verify your parallax is set for 100y or close to it. The cross hairs should not move when you move your head slightly.
- Dry fire 5 times between each bullet fired. Yes it's boring, but it gives you a chance to focus on your follow through and trigger control without the distraction of trying to shoot tiny groups
- relax... this is supposed to be FUN!!! If it isn't fun, take a break and do something that is fun. Being tense works against you more than you realize.

What kind of shooting is this? Prone off a bipod(type)?

Thanks mate it is prone off an atlas bipod and red tac rear squeeze bag. I have some snap caps and I will try why you say next time and do some dry fire in between. Normally I only dry fire at home.

Your right to be honest I don't enjoy shooting groups at 100m I much prefer shooting milk Bottles etc at 300-600m which is max distance I have available to me. The reason I shoot at 100m sometimes I guess is because that's where my rifle is zero,d and that's where most people shoot to compare groups etc but I usually just end up frustrated at 100m and much prefer shooting longer

Make some perpendicular lines on the target centers with a marker. You will be able to level your reticle on the dots better.

Based on your hitting consistently at 350m, I’d say you know how to shoot and your rifle is fine.

I’d suggest looking at how you approach the drill.

I can't shoot a centre dot at 100m to save myself

The reason that jumped out at me is because I used to consistently pull the fifth round in a otherwise good group and it became a self fulfilling prophecy. I’d try not to pull the fifth round. I’d focus very hard and put a lot of pressure on myself not to pull this one and guess what happens.

How about: This is a tough drill, but I can clean it when I calmly apply the fundamentals.

Just want to say thanks to everyone who replied, this site is gold yall have given me plenty of things to think about.

Reactions: PrecisionRifleGuy
Just wanted to do a follow up with this. Thanks to all the great advice I received I took your advice and this was the result today much happier

Attachments

• IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 79
I think a combination of things that the guys here listed. Getting up and walking around during shots. Rushing shots. Getting anxious about it etc.

Today I dry fired 3 times between shots as someone here suggested and just made sure u did all my fundamentals better. It's not perfect but am much happier with the results.

You guys that clean this drill using the .5moa dots are freaks.

Reactions: PrecisionRifleGuy
Based on your hitting consistently at 350m, I’d say you know how to shoot and your rifle is fine.

I’d suggest looking at how you approach the drill.

The reason that jumped out at me is because I used to consistently pull the fifth round in a otherwise good group and it became a self fulfilling prophecy. I’d try not to pull the fifth round. I’d focus very hard and put a lot of pressure on myself not to pull this one and guess what happens.

How about: This is a tough drill, but I can clean it when I calmly apply the fundamentals.

I had the same battle when I first started practicing this drill and Jacob at RO noticed me doing it without me bringing it up and sorted me out