• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I checked the internet

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
So yesterday evening I walked out in my front yard to find a red fox trying to get the neighbors cat. I tried to chase it off but it's not really scared of people it would stay about 50ft away was all.

So I ran next door to warn her. She says they have been here since last year, but she looked it up online and it said they wouldn't mess with domestic animals.

I told her. I am pretty sure they will eat cats based on all the stray cats disappearing over the last year and half or so.

I knew there were some foxes around because they left a chicken carcass in my yard last summer. I also found some tracks in the snow in my drive way this winter. It turns out they have den at an abandoned house less than a block away. And in all liklyhood they ate my cat that I liked and payed to neuter.

So is there any better place to go than online to get biased horseshit information.

1000004741.jpg

Place 50 yards from good cover.

So I ran next door to warn her. She says they have been here since last year, but she looked it up online and it said they wouldn't mess with domestic animals.
Think she was just a little misinformed. Some years back I was chastised by a few for killing 3 fox that were killing pets in the hood. Last year the chief chastiser ask if I would kill one for her as she seen it kill her cat.

Her cat was sitting in the yard looking at it. Granted it's been outside at least some since it was the size of a soda can. But it don't think she or the cat realized the only reason the fox is interested in the cat is for food.

Reactions: Snipe260
Check the regs, then set live traps. You’ll probably catch ten cats and eight coons before you get the fox, but hopefully eventually it’ll go in.

Hard to deal with that shit in the suburbs and neighborhoods, but your neighbors will thank you. Find out who puts dog/cat food outside as well, have them stop or at least bring it in at night until you get it.

Reactions: Snipe260
Foxes won’t “usually” attack cats. Too big and they fight back hard.

But a fox who is starving… inexperienced or diseased may well go after cats.

But if you have foxes you almost certainly have coyotes. And they will most definitely go after cats. So will “packs” Of raccoons (aka family group.)

But generally foxes are after rodents. Not cats.

Sirhr

More than likely diseased, maybe starving. I’ve got several on my place, and I never even had an issue with them messing with my chickens. If they have access to food, and have not been conditioned to not fear people, they shouldn’t stick around when you get close.

They will play games with you at night if they know they are well hidden. Had one “chirp” at my wiff and I one night as it bird dogged us around the property. Probably waiting on me to leave her alone so it could have a snack.

FIRST YouTube video on has the brilliant "Prof." Dawn Scott saying foxes don't kill cats. The next 10 or so videos are of foxes killing and eating cats. "AI" is an oxymoron, or perhaps the best name for it. Not real intelligence, artificial.

• Haha
Reactions: lash and NoDopes
FIRST YouTube video on has the brilliant "Prof." Dawn Scott saying foxes don't kill cats. The next 10 or so videos are of foxes killing and eating cats. "AI" is an oxymoron, or perhaps the best name for it. Not real intelligence, artificial.

They do… it’s just not “usual” behavior.

BTW… saw a couple or arctic foxes last month. They are the size of $&@$ing coyotes! They would kill cats!

Average Eastern red fox… if they had to.

Sirhr

Ps. Only time I really worry about my outdoor cat
Is when the foxes and “yotes” have young pups they are trying to feed and wean. They need a lot of meat and are looking for easy meals. And I don’t worry about the foxes as much as the yotes.

Reactions: lash
Foxes won’t “usually” attack cats. Too big and they fight back hard.

But a fox who is starving… inexperienced or diseased may well go after cats.

But if you have foxes you almost certainly have coyotes. And they will most definitely go after cats. So will “packs” Of raccoons (aka family group.)

But generally foxes are after rodents. Not cats.

Sirhr
I was talking to my brother and he said there are some foxes with a den at the golf course by his house. He said his cats go play with the pups. That kind of leans me back to putting all the cats that disappeared back on whomever poisoned my cat I found dying in the window well.

They do… it’s just not “usual” behavior.

BTW… saw a couple or arctic foxes last month. They are the size of $&@$ing coyotes! They would kill cats!

Average Eastern red fox… if they had to.

Sirhr

Ps. Only time I really worry about my outdoor cat
Is when the foxes and “yotes” have young pups they are trying to feed and wean. They need a lot of meat and are looking for easy meals. And I don’t worry about the foxes as much as the yotes.
She was saying they seemed very interested but she had been seeing the pair since last year. I know my cat from the neighborhood is scared of this guy. I think my dog killed his mom also though.
20240410_121607.jpg

Not all cats created equal....

A 10-12 lb declawed house cat is easy pickings for a fox.
A 20 lb barn Tom is not. My money is on the cat.

Just shoot or trap the damn thing, Get a dog big enough to deal with foxes and coyotes. It's not rocket science.
Where I live coyotes kill every fox they can. That's why foxes den in yards that don't have dogs.

knew a guy that had some chickens and lost some to foxes. the asshole poisoned them out. his reward? coyotes that couldn't be poisoned out. loss of chickens followed. coyotes are much worse but fill the same niche. got possums? leave them be. raccoons will replace them and do some real damage. got chickens? set up a proper pen for nights. the daylight stuff is bothersome however. bears in orlando area are nocturnal if they went to daylight activity could be a problem.

Foxes also eat a lot of mice and rats, they are working for free and keeping the neighborhood clean... win win. The cat is a liability, let the fox eat it...

• Haha
Reactions: 1911hombre
A person will be hard pressed to get a red fox to enter a cage trap. Not saying it can't be done,but there are other more efficient ways to handle the problem

.22 with hollow points, suppresser and thermal scope. Put the cat in a box trap, have a few cold ones and sit on the deck.....

There are big dogs loose all the time. My biggest concern with the fox would be mange. It's a pretty good sized red fox. The coyotes around here aren't killing it. We are talking 20-30lb dogs vs a 25-35lb dogs.

I once posted some pics if a very large cyotes in my neighborhood on the littke neighborhood app thing. I did it to warn others and I said "I haven't gotten a shot at it yet but I will" or something like that.

I had a lady on there tell me she was feeding the yotes here as a part of a nationwide effort. She explained that they were feeding the coyotes, which would keep them from eating people cats and dogs and from ever attacking a small child..... She was dead serious too.

• Haha
Reactions: Milf Dots
I once posted some pics if a very large cyotes in my neighborhood on the littke neighborhood app thing. I did it to warn others and I said "I haven't gotten a shot at it yet but I will" or something like that.

I had a lady on there tell me she was feeding the yotes here as a part of a nationwide effort. She explained that they were feeding the coyotes, which would keep them from eating people cats and dogs and from ever attacking a small child..... She was dead serious too.
Bet she is the fully vax'ed type, and votes for FSA all the time. She drive an EV, as well?

Reactions: gigamortis
There are big dogs loose all the time. My biggest concern with the fox would be mange. It's a pretty good sized red fox. The coyotes around here aren't killing it. We are talking 20-30lb dogs vs a 25-35lb dogs.
I'd be more concerned about rabies! Seems like an annual news story here in S Alabama.

Fox kill competitors.
Hardly any cats can stand up to a Fox.

She grew up on Disney's line of bullshit.
Her cat will pay the price.

R

In most non-domesticated species, the biggest "risk factor" for development of mange is overal immune system/health and nutrition of the host animal, not so much the size. Rarely, genetics can also play a role in susceptibility to mange (again also related to innate immunodeficiencies). Even larger animals feeding on weaker small species are less likely to get mange as long as they remain healthy and physiologically "non-stressed".

In most non-domesticated species, the biggest "risk factor" for development of mange is overal immune system/health and nutrition of the host animal, not so much the size. Rarely, genetics can also play a role in susceptibility to mange (again also related to innate immunodeficiencies). Even larger animals feeding on weaker small species are less likely to get mange as long as they remain healthy and physiologically "non-stressed".
I wasn't saying mange had anything to do with the size of the animals. The size has to do with why coyotes don't kill red foxes much around here.

Mange is caused by a mite and coyotes pass it to each other as well as passing it to othe k9s. It's been getting pretty bad around here again. It's been about 10-15 years since I have seen so many manged out coyotes. This would be the first fox I have seen it on if it's mange, but I think it's scars.

This was easily the prettiest fox I have ever seen. It took on look at our barn cat (who weighs 18lbs) and said "nope, fugg that" and went over to the neighbors.
20231212_143459.jpg

A 1.5-2.5lb mink kills 20-25 pound red foxes?
Fishers (think big minks) kill way above their weight class.

Minks can kill cats if cornered. Probably could kill a fox… but would not “hunt one.”

Had a winter-coat mink get in the mudroom and AWOL went after it. It died but AWOL looked like he had gone three rounds with Jack the Ripper. He never was the smartest cat.

They are nasty little critters. I am told otters are nasty too, but never been near one. Anything in the “tubular rat” family can be vicious.

Sirhr

Fishers (think big minks) kill way above their weight class.

Minks can kill cats if cornered. Probably could kill a fox… but would not “hunt one.”

Had a winter-coat mink get in the mudroom and AWOL went after it. It died but AWOL looked like he had gone three rounds with Jack the Ripper. He never was the smartest cat.

They are nasty little critters. I am told otters are nasty too, but never been near one. Anything in the “tubular rat” family can be vicious.

Sirhr
That's kind of how my dog looked after he killed the cat. I don't think he was in any sort of danger of being killed by the cat though.

I saw a video once of some otters mauling a monkey that was messing with one of them. It was pretty brutal. Like a pack of dogs ripping and shaking on the monky.

So yesterday evening I walked out in my front yard to find a red fox trying to get the neighbors cat. I tried to chase it off but it's not really scared of people it would stay about 50ft away was all.

I told her. I am pretty sure they will eat cats based on all the stray cats disappearing over the last year and half or so.

I knew there were some foxes around because they left a chicken carcass in my yard last summer. I also found some tracks in the snow in my drive way this winter. It turns out they have den at an abandoned house less than a block away. And in all liklyhood they ate my cat that I liked and payed to neuter.

So is there any better place to go than online to get biased horseshit information.

If you have a wild animal that won't leave your property alone, you can spray it with a garden hose, tear gas it, or pepper spray it, depending on where you live and whether or not the gas will stay on your property. Although the garden hose/water option should be available anywhere.

The whole dog, cat, fox, coyote, fisher, mink, bobcat, coon etc fight scenarios are very interesting. Sometimes you are the bug, sometimes you are the windshield.....

When I was a kid we had a 20 lb Tom. I watched him kill the neighborhood chihuahua one morning in our front yard. Last time that I cleaned up that little fuckers shit....