• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

I could use some sane advice.

cadjak

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2003
Pecan Gap, TX
I've got a rifle that already shoots great. Nothing fancy by Hide standards, but I like it. Custom built old two screw Rem 700 .308, Mike Rock 5R barrel, McMillan HTG w'built in forend rail. I got it in my head that I should go to a DBM. By the time I lay out for the bottom metal, two way shipping to a competent gunsmith, and cost of inletting, I could be into the project about $500. Now I realize that I'm nuts to ask on this forum but, what's your thoughts on this?

1.)Just buy another stock from someone here, that already has the DBM and mags with it?
2.)Go ahead with the project as is and forget about the $$?
3.) Go take a shower, open a cold beverage and watch Quigley Down Under and just leave the rifle as it is?

Re: I could use some sane advice.

It depends: Why do you need DBM capability? Are you shooting in matches that have stages which require it?

If you don't need it for any particular reason like Grahm asked then don't worry about it BUT if you want it now that's a different story.
If you have the money to spend and want to give it a go, I'd probably looked for a used stock with DBM, Use it and see if you like it and if its not what your looking for sell it off and you still have your original stock to use again.

The voice of sanity.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't need it for any particular reason like Grahm asked then don't worry about it BUT if you want it now that's a different story.
If you have the money to spend and want to give it a go, I'd probably looked for a used stock with DBM, Use it and see if you like it and if its not what your looking for sell it off and you still have your original stock to use again. </div></div>
I used to be able to think like that...Thanks

<span style="text-decoration: underline">And</span>, I can still watch Quigley Down Under.
laugh.gif

Have you considered the M4 DBM from Stocky's? Its a drop in (in most cases) for remington bdl. It will get you in the game for about $250.00 and if you dont like it, you can put your factory metal back on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't need it for any particular reason like Grahm asked then don't worry about it BUT if you want it now that's a different story.
If you have the money to spend and want to give it a go, I'd probably looked for a used stock with DBM, Use it and see if you like it and if its not what your looking for sell it off and you still have your original stock to use again. </div></div>

^^^^This.

And man, I haven't thought about that movie in forever. GREAT flick.

Do you need a DBM? If you do it doesn't have to cost $500, call Jeff at CDI. The bottom metal will run you $209, inletting of your stock will cost $60. Add one 5 round AICS mag to get you started and you're coming in at under $350.

Yes you need it! Mags are cooler.. at least that what all the kids are saying these days.

The answer is really quite simple, and I cannot figure out why none of the experts that lurk about on this forum have not figured it out.

So, the voice of sanity says : Exercise Option Three, then go out and buy you a new rifle. My God, man, its the perfect excuse !!!

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pjparker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The answer is really quite simple, and I cannot figure out why none of the experts that lurk about on this forum have not figured it out.

So, the voice of sanity says : Exercise Option Three, then go out and buy you a new rifle. My God, man, its the perfect excuse !!!

Paul </div></div>

This...

Here's what I did, and it has absolutely nothing to do with economy or sanity.

First, I decided that messing with success doesn't work. Whatever I was going to do had nothing to do with <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">any</span></span> of my existing rifles, not even their chambering.

I wanted a DBM capability, and I wanted compatible chambering/DBM for both a Bolt gun and a Semi. I decided on an AR and a Bolt gun. The AR is the Stag Model 6 Super Varminter. The Bolt gun is the Mossberg MVP Predator. Each is chambered for 5.56, and employs standard GI AR magazines. For this kind of compatibility, the 5.56/AR standard works especially well.

The Stag is very pleasant to shoot, and has a 1:8" rifling twist. It makes even low cost 55gr FMJ shoot acceptably. The MVP is so new, it hasn't been shot, but has a 1:9" twist and the mags interchange and feed very satisfactorily.

This is still a work in progress, but the basic attitude is, if we're gonna do it right, we need to do it right. The current path involves working out HDY 75gr HPBT Match/Varget handloads for the Stag, then seeing how well they work in the MVP. If necessary, work will continue with 69gr SMK's.

...And BTW, thanks for reminding me that I need to get a copy of <span style="font-style: italic">Quigley D/U</span> on Blu-Ray.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cadjak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got it in my head that I should go to a DBM.</div></div>
Then do it! You're not going to be happy with your rifle if it's not the way you want it. This hobby is not all about logic and reason. Get what you want. Get what makes you proud to show off to your buddies or to companions on a hunting adventure.

A McMillan HTG is a fine stock. I would NOT buy another stock with DBM. Make the rifle you have better.

If it was me, I would go all in. Get yourself some Surgeon Bottom Metal and have one of the top smiths install it for you. You'll be very happy when you get it back and ask yourself why you waited so long to go through with it.