• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I cracked the trigger guard on my Remington 700

HogBoss

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2013
I've got the el-cheapo Rem700 ADL stock with even cheaper plastic trigger guard. After installing my new Timney trigger, I followed the advice of the Brownell's video on torque weight for the ADL and ended up cracking the rear trigger guard / stock screw (the one that goes into the rear screw hole in the action).

I have since backed out the rear trigger guard / action screw and re-installed trigger guard. The rear-most portion of the trigger guard protrudes slightly (1/8 inch or so) and I know that the screw cannot possibly be seated as firmly as it had been prior to my bubba-ing it up.

The front action/stock screw (between the sling/bipod screw and the small front trigger guard screw) is snug at 18 foot-pounds (per my Borka torque tool). The action has a slightly different sound to it, but I suspect that is from the new trigger contacting the bottom of the bolt differently than the stock Rem trigger.

I do not wish to buy the metal trigger guard for the ADL as the ADL is going to be replaced in the not-too-distant future. I want to try out my new trigger, but can't buy a stock right now b/c I just spent some gun funds on the Timney, pad, and range bag.

My question -- is it safe to shoot this way? Did I just destroy all accuracy I had before? Should I cough up the change for a trigger guard that I will eventually not have any use for or just wait until I can get a AICS, XRS chassis, or quality stock (haven't decided on this yet).

Go to the WTB forum here and ask someone for a take off trigger guard from their ADL. I sent mine to someone on here a few weeks back. Even if you have to pay shipping, I can't imagine it would be much. That will cover you until you decide what you want/need.

Go to the WTB forum here and ask someone for a take off trigger guard from their ADL. I sent mine to someone on here a few weeks back. Even if you have to pay shipping, I can't imagine it would be much. That will cover you until you decide what you want/need.
that would be an option for sure. or you could sue brownells for the couple bucks the trigger gaurd is worth and 1100 for mental anguish. BAM! BRAND NEW AX CHASSIS!

that would be an option for sure. or you could sue brownells for the couple bucks the trigger gaurd is worth and 1100 for mental anguish. BAM! BRAND NEW AX CHASSIS!

I should have known better anyway. I was so excited about having successfully inletted the trigger channel in the stock that I wasn't thinking critically about screwing the stock back onto the action.

Done and done. Good idea. I'm a bit new to the forum and didn't even see we had a WTB section. I'll be there for other things no doubt. Thanks!

I might have one laying around. I'm at work right now. I'll let you know to tonight. I'l let you have it. Just pay for the shipping.

Good deal HogBoss! Glad you got one. I figured it was a safe bet considering how many people here have purchased ADLs to start their build/experience.

The front action/stock screw (between the sling/bipod screw and the small front trigger guard screw) is snug at 18 foot-pounds (per my Borka torque tool). The action has a slightly different sound to it, but I suspect that is from the new trigger contacting the bottom of the bolt differently than the stock Rem trigger.

Who told you to tighten action screws to 18 FOOT POUNDS? Whoever did is an idiot. That's 216 inch pounds. Most aftermarket bottom metal screws are tightened to 65 INCH POUNDS and Remington is usually 45 INCH POUNDS. You need to get an inch pound torque wrench.

Who told you to tighten action screws to 18 FOOT POUNDS? Whoever did is an idiot. That's 216 inch pounds. Most aftermarket bottom metal screws are tightened to 65 INCH POUNDS and Remington is usually 45 INCH POUNDS. You need to get an inch pound torque wrench.

Doh! I meant inch pounds. Sorry for the confusion. Good catch. I actually cracked the trigger guard b/c I was going for 50 inch pounds or so, I believe. After that, I got uneasy about the other screw and set it at 18.

Prior to disassembling the weapon, I had tested the torque starting at 15 inch lbs w/ my Borka tool. It broke at 15 right away, and tightened very slightly at 18 before breaking over so I figured I'd be safe setting it back to what I'd had it at previously. 18 inch lbs is a long ways from 50 or 65 inch lbs so I was wondering if it had been too loose or if 18 inch lbs was appropriate for my cheap stock.

I have the standard aluminum BDM from a remington 700 short action. The paint has been stripped off, but I re-painted it with black primer. It's yours for 5 bucks + shipping if you want it.

I have the standard aluminum BDM from a remington 700 short action. The paint has been stripped off, but I re-painted it with black primer. It's yours for 5 bucks + shipping if you want it.

I'm not sure what a BDM is. Was it a typo or am I uninformed? If it's something like bottom metal for a BDL or DBM, I wouldn't be able to use it b/c I've got a long action .30-06. I'm pretty sure the ADL trigger guards for long and short action are the same though. Please advise.

I'm not sure what a BDM is. Was it a typo or am I uninformed? If it's something like bottom metal for a BDL or DBM, I wouldn't be able to use it b/c I've got a long action .30-06. I'm pretty sure the ADL trigger guards for long and short action are the same though. Please advise.
You are correct.

I'm not sure what a BDM is. Was it a typo or am I uninformed? If it's something like bottom metal for a BDL or DBM.

Technically it's Bottom metal with a Detachable Magazine as opposed to the ADL which is an internal mag or BDL which is internal with a bottom hinge for unloading.

Sorry Hog, I can't find the trigger guard. I just remembered, I gave it to a friend last year for his build.

Grant, you can send him yours.

Thanks,
DF

I have some take off bottom metal you can have, brand spanking new.

Done and done. Good idea. I'm a bit new to the forum and didn't even see we had a WTB section. I'll be there for other things no doubt. Thanks!

Hogboss i got a aluminum BDL triggerguard ill give u if u wont it, i replace mind with a steel one.