• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I don't care for heights...

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I spent the majority of my day hovering 900' above the field at Lucas Oil Stadium today. I honestly don't know how on earth the guys who build this stuff can do it. I was down from the cat walks for 30 minutes before my stomach calmed down enough to let me know that I was hungry. Should provide a pretty good view for the Superbowl in 2012.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ioAGdMmFAI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ioAGdMmFAI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: I don't care for heights...

No way in hell, I would be walking up that thing. I do a lot of stupid shit, but heights just isn't my thing.

With the width of the walkway I think I'd be o.k. The guy walking looks about like a normal sidewalk. If it was pulled steel/a grate there would be no way in Hell you could get me up there.

Did you spit and see how long it took to get to the bottom?
grin.gif

If you had a parachute you could've done this:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tvfUJsSN4pw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tvfUJsSN4pw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Now that looks like a good time. I have a healthy respect for heights but I am not scared of them. I enjoy sky diving and the occasional bungee jump.

It would be fun to shoot from up there, have the place set-up with dummies and then have to find the perps out of the crowd.

did some one say skydive.....

you know a night naked base jump would be original.......i'm just sayin

That jump didn't seem to difficult seeing as the parachute was being pulled out by a line as soon as he was dropping off the base.....that definitely looks like fun though!!

Not 900', but try having to do it dangling from a rope off the side of a building 200' up... We were doing pick offs here, we would rappel down to a stranded victim, then put him on our harness and remove him from his line.

pickoff1.jpg

pickoff2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not 900', but try having to do it dangling from a rope off the side of a building 200' up... We were doing pick offs here, we would rappel down to a stranded victim, then put him on our harness and remove him from his line.

pickoff2.jpg
</div></div>

Yeah...No thanks. Glad someone has the stones for that high altitude crap. I'll stick to lifting heavy shit. It's a policy that has worked well for me for thirty or so years in my trade.

On another note, did that pickup truck in the parking lot, hemorrhaging coolant, belong to one of your fellow wall walkers?

Must be deceiving at that filming angle or something, because that sure doesn't look like 900' in height. 900 feet is nearly Empire State Building territory and that looks like no more than maybe 300 feet or so??? Not to say I would any more comfortable up there either way!
eek.gif

I make my living off the ground,that would not bother me.The fact that you are not used to it,and did it anyway says a lot for your courage.When you are up on something all day long,swaying in the wind,it can take a while to get your legs under you after you get down.Kinda like being on rough water,you keep swaying for a while after getting back on land.Glad you enjoyed it, Lightman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritz24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must be deceiving at that filming angle or something, because that sure doesn't look like 900' in height. 900 feet is nearly Empire State Building territory and that looks like no more than maybe 300 feet or so??? Not to say I would any more comfortable up there either way!
eek.gif
</div></div>

I had my rangefinder with me but couldn't get a reading off of the turf directly below me. I did hit some of the seats which read 280+ yards. The blueprints of the building showed 905' at the roof and we were a little below that mark.

I'm with you man, I've never liked heights either. Even after years of working on comm towers I'm still not used to it or comfortable up there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritz24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must be deceiving at that filming angle or something, because that sure doesn't look like 900' in height. 900 feet is nearly Empire State Building territory and that looks like no more than maybe 300 feet or so??? Not to say I would any more comfortable up there either way!
eek.gif
</div></div>

I had my rangefinder with me but couldn't get a reading off of the turf directly below me. I did hit some of the seats which read 280+ yards. The blueprints of the building showed 905' at the roof and we were a little below that mark. </div></div>

Interesting - shows the "nekkid eye" can fool you pretty well!! One thing is sure - that's g-damned high and I much prefer the level ground myself!!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I was down from the cat walks for 30 minutes before my stomach calmed down enough to let me know that I was hungry.</div></div>That's because you packed the wrong food.
grin.gif

For me, a frozen shrimp ring, some grated horseradish, and a small Whisperlite stove boiling water for french-press coffee helps somewhat at altitude.

As long as you have good handholds and footholds you'll be fine: just relax and take it all in, then your stomach will settle down.

I am an ironworker by trade, and the one thing I was told when I began this industry, "You dont get one mistake up here!". Honestly if a persons pay the fuck attention levels arent elevated with heights, thats when people do get hurt, but as with life, you learn to make do with what you are given.

Ya know there's one thing that is on my bucket list to do...

That's high enough for a base jump, but I want to base jump from here - and I drive this bridge and it scares me - I'm afraid of heights....(SO I sky dive to get over it)

This is a base jumpers wet dream.

TacomaNB1-07.jpg

I work right next door to Lucas, never would have dreamed it was 900'. It's an ugly mother though.

I've been in a few silica plants and they have tons of floors with just grate floors, really fu*^s with you when you are walking around. Way worse than solid footing, just a mind thing.
P-dog, not sure I can do it for long either, haven't had to walk that high.
As a side, a friend of the family is one of the Navajo bridge builders. I once asked him about why they don't have a fear of heights and they really have no clue what makes them not the least scared of it, but truly has no effect on them at all from the bat.
Chad

That's because it's not. Architectural height: 270'. The peak of the roof is 288' above the stadium floor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get comfortable, get careless.

Get careless, die.

Only the insane do not fear things which can kill them.
</div></div>

My students often ask me, "Do you still get nervous before a jump?". I tell them "Every time. When I stop getting nervous, I'm going to stop jumping, because Ive obviously underestimated something."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's because it's not. Architectural height: 270'. The peak of the roof is 288' above the stadium floor. </div></div>

Exactly right. It's 82.3meters in height.

Link to specs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's because it's not. Architectural height: 270'. The peak of the roof is 288' above the stadium floor. </div></div>

Exactly right. It's 82.3meters in height.

Link to specs

</div></div>

At least I know I wasn't completely nuts!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritz24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must be deceiving at that filming angle or something, because that sure doesn't look like 900' in height. 900 feet is nearly Empire State Building territory and that looks like no more than maybe 300 feet or so??? Not to say I would any more comfortable up there either way!
eek.gif
</div></div>

I had my rangefinder with me but couldn't get a reading off of the turf directly below me. I did hit some of the seats which read 280+ yards. The blueprints of the building showed 905' at the roof and we were a little below that mark. </div></div>

Another Ironworker, here. The "905'" most likely refers to the TOS, or top of steel. On drawings that is the elevation above sea level.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's because it's not. Architectural height: 270'. The peak of the roof is 288' above the stadium floor. </div></div>

Plenty for a good BASE jump...

<span style="font-style: italic">Another Ironworker, here. The "905'" most likely refers to the TOS, or top of steel. On drawings that is the elevation above sea level.
</span>
Right on. Dunno what to say about the OP's rangefinding though. Hope that's not dept. issue.
crazy.gif

I have never been up here, but there are crews of painters that I see working every summer. Always thought it would be an interesting gig.

Mackinac (Mack-in-aw) Bridge connecting Michigans upper penisula to us trolls.

0.jpg

For perspective

P9250064.jpg

they paint every year on the outside and inside the support steel all year. Dirty Jobs did a show on it. That inside shit's for the birds. I got claustrophobic just watchin it!
JH

You get to a certain point, maybe over 1000 feet where it doesn't seem real- too surreal..

This is me at 3500, it just didn't look real from up there:

jump.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acehigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Antenna removal in Cinn. 880' this December?
JH</div></div>

Ugh. My head started swimming looking at those pics man. No F'n way in hell.

I never understood the whole acrophobia thing. For me heights are the most peaceful things there are.

acrophoboia - drive downtown Seattle, go up Pike street and stop at 3rd ave at the stop light.

Look UP at the Columbia tower while sitting at that angle- that'll make your head spin - seems like about a 25-30 degree slope you are on while looking up 900 feet...

Friggin weird...it's hard to go up that hill when it rains, regardless of what you drive.

Thing about heights - OSHA has "protections" now. I watched a series on the "founding" of America over July 4th weekend on the History channel, and one of the documentaries were on the "building" of NY (skyscrapers, bridges, and the Statue of Liberty). The stats were that 2/5 men died working on the "high-rise" construction sites. Two out of five is a pretty crazy stat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thing about heights - OSHA has "protections" now. I watched a series on the "founding" of America over July 4th weekend on the History channel, and one of the documentaries were on the "building" of NY (skyscrapers, bridges, and the Statue of Liberty). The stats were that 2/5 men died working on the "high-rise" construction sites. Two out of five is a pretty crazy stat. </div></div>

I've seen that video before - when building the empire state building they show people walking on beams 1000 feet in the air with no tie downs....no safety devices, no nets.

Whew....no thanks.

My g/f's father was one of those guys that built skyscrapers, no thanks.

OSHA has been in our back pocket since there were 18 deaths in the tower industry in one year. Last year there were 6 I think. Better, but there's no excuse for any. Stay tied off ALL the time. It's inconvenient and a hassle but so are body bags!. I've been doin it since 1974 and free climbing was the only way. Trying to retrain all my guys was hard. They were like everyone I guess when it comes to change. I was lookin for some of the pics from a 2000' 'er in NC that we worked on. The most fun is slidin down the guy wires and paintin 'em on the way down. Now that's a rush.
JH

I hate heights too...but they need someone stupid enough to do it.

260_feet_2.sized.jpg

260_feet.sized.jpg

Advanced_SWAT_Rapelling_192.sized.jpg

Advanced_SWAT_Rapelling_231.sized.jpg

Advanced_SWAT_Rapelling_232.sized.jpg