• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors i don't think he is gonna sign

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
stopped in to talk my boro chief. he looked at me like i was nuts!!! he said, "what in the world do you NEED it for? i can't be for home protection on a 308 rifle".

damn

he said he would think about it for a few days and get back to me. he also said this is the first time he has ever been approached about one.

we will see how it goes.

Re: i don't think he is gonna sign

Explain the hearing protection, recoil reduction and noise pollution reduction benefits to him. Do not forget to let him know that refusal to sign does not stop you from obtaining the silencer as you can easily use a trust. He will not know who owns silencers in his jurisdiction unless he signs.

He should have already figured this out if he is smart.

Ranb

The reason I gave the Sheriff in my county was this, "I need a suppressor because I shoot a magnum rifle in my competitions. The comps won't allow a brake and the recoil is killing me. A suppressor is basically a high tech muzzle brake and the only thing that will allow me to continue to compete."

Just tell the cocksucker this. "look man I am nice enough to come and ask for your sign off, I dont NEED to, there are ways that you will NEVER know what is here. This way you atleast have a heads up as to what is in your hood. IF you dont want to sign this time dont look for me to ever ask for you to sign anything else in the future and since you are in an elected position dont look for my vote in the future. I will now head to the lawyer and have a trust set up which will allow me to bypass your signature on anything in the future to include but not limited to silencers, machine guns, SBR's and rocket launchers. Have a nice day" Turn and walk out.

Outsy ... you said it well ... Nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">set up a trust </div></div>

IMO, this is the best way of doing it. The county we are in the CLEO will sign off and even the LEOs have a trust to get a NFA item. I even had one of the LEOs and the CLEO in my office at the same time and the LEO still did his on a trust.

when i asked, the first thing he said. "what is it going on?"

i told him a 308 rifle. then he made his reply, "what in the world do you NEED it for? i can't be for home protection on a 308 rifle."

then he asked why i wanted it. the smart ass in me wanted to say, "because i can". i told him that i don't want to piss off the neighbors when i go shooting near where i grew up, or on my buddies property.

i ran into one of the deputies, who i used to ride bikes with, and asked if he knew where the chief was and if he would sign. he acted the same way and said the same thing as the chief. but i did tell the deputy that if not, then i'll just set up a trust and i'll still get it anyway. basically, in a nice way, FU. i didn't go there with the chief. if he says no, then i'll just tactfully say thank you and leave it at that.

Don't even waste time talking to the mental midget enough said, get a lawyer to draw up a trust. Forget about resoning with him or discussing setting up a trust, plain and simple he is shi-head cop sadly it seem there are less and less Law Enforcement types with common sense and more and more morons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">set up a trust </div></div>

+1
It saves a lot of hassle and makes ownership much easier.
If you don't have a Trust you're the only one that can be in possession of the NFA item without you physically being in control of it. That includes your house.
i.e. you get a CLEO signature and send off your paperwork. You then leave your silencer at home, in a closet or drawer unlocked with someone else there. The moment you leave it constitutes a transfer of an NFA item.
Now, say you have a Trust and do the same thing, as long as the people in your home are on your Trust and eligible, it's all good.
When I set up my Trust I went over all of this with the lawyer that set it up.

i am not going to reason with him if he tells me no. i'll just leave it at that, and go about setting up a trust.

the thing is, 3 out of the 5 cops are clients of mine. the chief not being one, and the other guy i don't know him. they let me get away with a lot of stuff with my equipment being parked on a public street, turning down roads that basically say "no big trucks and trailers" etc. so to get pissy with the chief, i'll just let it go. don't fight a battle you can't win.

My local guy didn't even ask a question. He signed it and I went on my way. I guess I'm fortunate. If I understand correctly, that portion of NFA is soon to be eliminated anyway.

I didn't even bother with the leo signoff. When I decided I wanted a can, I went straight to the trust option.

is the NFA the same as a class 3 citizen? does that even exist? i was told by a dealer about 10 years ago that in order to buy the untouchable toys, you had to be a class 3 citizen. the ATF wanted to know everything about you, where the gun was at all times, and when you were transporting it.

I went and talked to my CLEO about how he felt about it. He said as long as I'm legally eligible, he had no problem signing. That said, I went ahead and went the trust route for some of the same reasons outlined here, and the fact that he's a very busy man. My point being, I asked him anyways because I figured it would be better to own an NFA item with his blessing than to be found with one and have to deal with him after the fact. I think it would be worth your while to at least know that your CLEO isn't going to have grudge should anything ever happen. If he doesn't want to sign off, don't go burning bridges just because you can bypass him.

February 15th my check mailed out for an OPS INC 12th Model for my .308 AR, I'll be a proud suppressor owner in a few short months!

In my experience cops who are not recreational shooters or gun people dont know the laws as they pertain to NFA items. Ive had several ask me questions about how I got my cans or SBRs. They were under the same impression as most civilians that they were illegal. Other cops I know have trusts for their NFA items because they dont want the head of the departments knowing they have them. My city/county LEO wont touch the Form 4 so I just moved on to the trust. I didnt want them to know what I had. I think the LLC or Trust is the only way to go.

Yup, this is the best way. You can put multiple people on the trust if you want to. That way, they can use it when you not around as well. Beside, I think trust way is a bit faster than individual to approve.

Setting up a gun trust is the most efficient way to circumvent the CLEO sign off requirements. The trust should be drafted by a competent lawyer licensed to practice in your state. In a recent bankruptcy case here in San Antonio, Judge Leif M. Clark found on 2/23/12 that Karen Vazquez's Nevada trust was invalid because she was both the grantor and the only beneficiary. Texas law prohibits this. See In Re: Vazquez 11-52988 U.S. Bankruptcy Court, W.D. Tex., San Antonio Division. Many "do-it-yourselfers" and inexperienced lawyers make often this fatal and expensive mistake.

See the articles on my website to learn more about gun trusts.

Martin Seidler
www.guntrustlawyer.net

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is the NFA the same as a class 3 citizen? does that even exist? i was told by a dealer about 10 years ago that in order to buy the untouchable toys, you had to be a class 3 citizen. the ATF wanted to know everything about you, where the gun was at all times, and when you were transporting it. </div></div>

These are basically "old wives tales" that have been around for ever. You will hear them from time-to-time from ordinary people when discussing ownership of title II items. You also hear it from "people in the know" i.e. business, when they aren't really in the business.

While the BATFE does want your fingerprints so they can verify your lack of criminal history. They certainly don't do a background investigation like that of the FBI when you get a security clearance. Nor do they have the right to come into your home at any time day or night. Nor do they want to know where the item is "at all times" 24/7. Nor do you have to tell them when you are transporting the item within your state of residence. For certain items you will have to tell them when you are transporting that item outside your state. Others, you don't.

Why, there are even a lot of people out there that think it is 'elegal' to even own one of them things - "why do you need that for". Those are the ones you like to meet.

i have not heard anything from the chief. F-em. i am going to set up the trust. unfortunately, its going to be a few weeks. work is picking back up, a family vacation, and finding a lawyer.

thanks for all the input.

An NFA-tailored trust is worth the scratch a qualified lawyer charges. It doesn't tie your items to only yourself. You can designate trustees, lifetime beneficiaries (buddies you shoot with) and remainder beneficiaries (who gets your stuff when you pass). I would avoid the freebies that you can do on quicken or gunstores. My first NFA item was done on a gunstore freebie. When I paid a lawyer to restate my trust, he informed me that the freebie was invalid becuse the grantor was also the beneficiary. Even if the CLEO process was as hassle-free, a trust is superior for asset management.