• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I dont' understand the purpose of a FTE

summitsitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2008
Crowville, Louisiana
Unless I'm looking at this wrong it screws on and also clamps. What is the purpose of the clamp..BO website says the brake can easily be removed..Looks to me like a regular screw on would be easier..Anyways somebody explain what all the hooraay is about..

Re: I dont' understand the purpose of a FTE

Won't have to be timed perfectly when threading the barrel.

-X

To elaborate. A regular thread on break has to have the threads timed to have the gas ports horizontal. This is done by machining thd threaded end of the suppresor. They also can work loose and taking them on and off can wear them/ mess up the timing.

The ftr alows you to clamp it where ever you want. Doesn't have to be timed. Won't work loose. Is huge and works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quicky06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To elaborate. A regular thread on break has to have the threads timed to have the gas ports horizontal. This is done by machining thd threaded end of the suppresor. They also can work loose and taking them on and off can wear them/ mess up the timing.

The ftr alows you to clamp it where ever you want. Doesn't have to be timed. Won't work loose. Is huge and works great.

</div></div>About covers it. I love mine.

So you don't have to screw it all the way up??correct..Just put a few turns on it and tighten down the clamp..

I get mine all the way on, then back it out and level with rifle. Works like a charm, love it.

I would suggest screwing it all the way down, then backing it off to where it's timed correctly. Then tighten the clamp.

The clamp needs some barrel in there to work.

Is there any way you can get one of these ported to your specific caliber size from the factory ?

I'm trying to find a brake that I won't have to leave at a smith for 2 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FYCN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any way you can get one of these ported to your specific caliber size from the factory ?

I'm trying to find a brake that I won't have to leave at a smith for 2 months. </div></div>

no your smith has to finish the whole size for it. No matter what you will need to have a smith machine and thread your barrel. There is an 1 or so behind the threads that has to be machined to a specific OD. It's where the clamp grabs.

And I don't know about 2 months. If your willing to ship it gap had mine turned around within a week but that was early December.

Sounds like the perfect setup for here in WA state,don't want to take a rifle to the range with a suppressor,or get caught hunting with it as they are legal to own but a gross misdemeanor if you get caught discharging it.And a 338 EDGE would be pretty uncomfortable to shoot without a brake.This is a win-win solution all around.

I time my FTE to blow dust at the competitor shooting next to me, depending on who's shooting to my right and left I like the option of pointing one side up or down, the FTE allows that.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I time my FTE to blow dust at the competitor shooting next to me, depending on who's shooting to my right and left I like the option of pointing one side up or down, the FTE allows that.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
</div></div>

That could have just sold an FTE, great post.

FTE is king. Got one on my 20" .308 it's cut recoil in half, you can spot all your own shots regardless of distance. No need for a spotter...