• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I F###ING HATE RUGER!!!

sixpack340

Thrower of angry avocados
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
york, pa
i just bought my wife a mark 3 pistol brand new on wednesday. weve put a couple hundred rounds through it and i figured id give the gun a good cleaning today. well for any of you that have disassembled these glorious pieces of shit, you'll know my pain. maybe its just me, but these hunks of shit are the worst freakin guns to try and disassemble and reassemble. ive spent the last 2 hours trying to get it back together. i watched videos online and everything. go figure, ruger in all there wisdom does not give you anything resembling a manual. but i got plenty of other bullshit papers in the box offering me stuff i dont need and telling me how to put a stupid lock on it. as soon as this piece of shit is back together im selling it. shouldve just stuck with walther. i cant speak for the mark 1 or 2. but if theyre anything like this, i know i'll never own one. like i said, maybe its just me, but i know my way around a firearm enough to know that this is the dumbest design ive ever freakin seen. im done.

p.s. fuck you ruger

Re: I F###ING HATE RUGER!!!

I think that everyone that tries putting these back together has similar feelings. It may not be you're intention but I laughed my ass off reading your post.

Hey Sixpack,

I think there is a pretty good video on Ruger's website that might help. The MK series if .22s have all ways been a major pain in the ass to take apart and put back togather. Think of it like tring to learn how to drive a stick, its going to take a few tries to get it right but once you figure it out it will be a piece of cake. It is still one of the best and most reliable .22 pistols on the market. Look under the tab marked News and Resources and you should find the video in there somewhere listed under tech tips.

Good luck and happy fourth!

Jeff

Feel your pain. I had a 22/45 and sold it for the same reason. Shot great, but not worth the hassle of cleaning it. Ordered a marvel unit 1 conversion for my Springfield TRP.

Sorry you couldn't figure it out. The hundreds of thousands of other users must have X-ray vision.

In seriousness, don't jump the gun out of frustration. If it shoots well, hold on to it. Yes, it is a hassle to reassemble, but once you figure it out it is really not hard to do. My first time took about an hour, the second, ten minutes, and I've been a first-time-go ever since. Just gotta get a feel for it.

I laughed very hard while reading your post, thank you for that regardless of if it was your intention or not!
laugh.gif

Keep the gun. They ARE exceptionally painfull to put back together the first (and for me several following times) most people try. It's a pain in that ass but the guns feel nice, look nice, and shoot great. I've loves all three that we had in the house but had to learn my way around the design a couple of times. Admittedly I left them pretty dirty sometimes
smile.gif

We've also had the Walther P22 which is an exceptional gun as well and MUCH easier to maintain. Plus it just 'feels' good in the hand. More like a centerfire pistol than most other 22lr pistols do at least...

Anyways, anybody who has ever owned or worked on a MkIII knows your pain. But it's worth is to keep the gun and learn your way around it... It DOES get easier with practice, just don't get too frustrated over the darn thing
smile.gif

Have a great 4th!

-Dylan

They are a pain to take apart but a can of WD-40 makes life easier.I haven't had mine apart in years.

"Back-in-the-day", while still in the service, I would "Moonlight" at a local gun shop. A week wouldn't go by without me seeing a Ruger come in the door, inside a cigar box. I leaned early that there is no reason to disassemble a Ruger, "just because".

I wait for lead to start coming out the muzzle, and everything is grinding to a halt, before I will start cleaning. Gun Scrubber, air hose, a bucket of diesel, and a can of WD-40 will keep a Ruger going.

LMAO I hated my 22/45 for the same reason but got used to it, that and my gp100 with .38's are insanely accurate.

Join the club. But man those Marks can shoot can't they? Would sell mine for the world.

The old ten percent rule is what's holding you up:

you must be at least 10% smarter than whatever you're working on.

Sorry, never had a problem with them. Not that bad if you can read and understand basic pistol function. If the Ruger is bad never try a Mauser Broomhandle or a Rem Nylon 66. Heck a 1911 is about as complicated as the Ruger, just different.

Everyone feel free to send me all of your POS Rugers, I'll even take them in pieces in a bag.

great guns till you take em apart then they end up in a pawn shop somewhere

yeah welcome to the club. They probably one of the hardest modern firearms to take apart and put back together. especially if you have the patience of a tasmanian devil like me. good luck.

they raise the blood pressure the first or second time, but after that not so much.

for the amount of accuraccy you get out of that pistol, perhaps all pistols should be as "tough" to strip and get back together.

Taking apart a mk... lol why would you go and do that!?

they really aren't that difficult to work on, I don't understand why so many people have problems. They're also probably the most reliable, well built rimfire pistol on the market.

For the unsatisfied customers here, feel free to send me a PM, and I'll give you my address for proper disposal of your pistols.
laugh.gif

So just out of curiosity, do the new MK III's not come with an owner's manual? My Mark II came with an owner's manual that listed the steps in detail how to disassemble and reassemble the pistol. I think it even has pictures with arrows showing you how to hold it and what to do.

That's stupid if they got rid of the manuals to safe money or something. I don't know how you would ever put the thing back together without that manual..

The trick I found to my MK II is that not only do you have to put it back together correctly (Not that hard to figure out), you also have to have the gun ORIENTED CORRECTLY - there is a piece that has to go in, then drop by gravity to fall into place. It is the key to getting it to work. Generally there is one step that requires muzzle down and tilted back slightly toward you. Otherwise you will never get it back together. Might be able to find a Youtube video or some instructions illustrating this. Once I figured this out, taking mine apart is not hard at all....

I too was laughing as I read this. Fortunately I went Browning when I got a .22lr pistol and won't have to join in on the fun. If you could do me a favor in the future....please get a Para Ordnance LDA and pull it apart, I'd love to see your comments on that one. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CMH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> there is a piece that has to go in, then drop by gravity to fall into place. It is the key to getting it to work. Generally there is one step that requires muzzle down and tilted back slightly toward you. .
</div></div>

That is exactly right. Watch a video and make sure you hold the gun at the same angle as the guy on the video does when he reassembles. Also the more you disassemble this gun the easier it gets.

Oh and if you hate Ruger and this pistol so much, I will buy it from you for half of what you paid for it.

You can even leave it disassembled to ship it, and I'll put it together when it gets here
grin.gif

I had the same thing happen with my 22/45. This video is funny as heck, but makes it very easy to tear it down and put it back together. Dingleberry and cheese...
http://youtu.be/nYHJm2P4kP0

Damn son calm down, you cant blaim the pistol for you not being able to put it back together. The MK series is one of the best designed rimfire pistols of all time. I gladly take it off your hands and you dont even have to put it back together.

But in all seriousness, orientation has everything to do with reassembly. Trust me when you figure it out you will laugh at your self. Then take it out with your Walther and the Ruger will shoot circles around it. Take your time and figure it out, its well worth it. Just remember most everyone has had their asses handed to them the first time reassembling that pistol, Good luck.

It's one of those magical moments when the planets aline and you are holding your mouth right in order to put them back together. Used to have a KMK10 and shot it tons. Had a gunsmith show me the trick and once you've learned it it's really quite simple.

Charlie

There is a trick or two, once you learn them you can tear it down and back in just a couple minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a trick or two, once you learn them you can tear it down and back in just a couple minutes. </div></div>

+1

A lot of it has to do with holding the gun at the proper angle while putting the back strap in.

Put on you big boy pants and stop so many six packs.
There's a knack, any with the normal thumb/finger ought to be to learn.

Been there and done that with a steel hammer. First time I've ever struck a gun in anger. After 4-5 times it won't give you any trouble due to parts loosening up.

The videos are helpful but be aware of where the parts are angled not just the angle the gun is held at. The parts are so tight the first few times that they won't move where they are supposed to when you angle it and you might need to direct it with a toothpick.

Grow up! Chill out! Pull-up your big boy pants! Put down the six-pack(s)! READ the book that came the pistol!
OR, just take the grips off and flush the pistol with brake cleaner and then lube it
wink.gif

Gzzzzzz, with your rant. MAYBE you should NOT have access to any firearm
smirk.gif

LG

ill take it off your hands for a dollar since its broken:)

well lumpy if you read my original post in its entirety you would have come across the part where i mentioned that ruger gives you no manual. oh, and no, i prefer to keep my pants down to calm the horny wife. haha. i got it together about 10 minutes after that post. i cooled off and went back to it and i guess the gun realized my anger because it submitted to me with no problems. this thing is perfect for my wife, it waits til i get fuming hot pissed off, and then it lets me have my way. haha!!

p.s. the sixpack part of my name refers to mopar muscle cars. i have no affiliation with any alcohol products. drinking makes me angry...haha

I do know that saying for Mopar. I started racing in the mid 1960s at Lyon's Dragstrip in So. Cal. I was also working for Tony Capanna at Wilcap, turning flywheels. Tony's oldest son, Mike and I went to high school together. I do and will always have the sickness for those cars.
I have never bought a new ITB Ruger that did not have the manual. CALL Ruger and get one FREE.Go to their site and download it....There were lots of ways to handle your issues with out throwing the "fit" like you did. You are the one who wanted to take it apart WITHOUT the manual, BTW. WHY WOULD YOU TAKE IT OUT ON RUGER?
IMHO, Bill Ruger Sr. was the JB of "our" time.
Let brake cleaner be your gun cleaning friend.
wink.gif

Wise choice for you not to drink.......
Cheers,
LG

I've been there with my Ruger too. I finally just decided it ain't coming apart until it just won't run any more.
I've been looking really hard at he Tac Sol 2211. That is a very cool looking piece of kit there.

I can take apart my mark III in less than a minute... and then back together in a couple minutes... you just have to do it a few times to get the hang of it that's all...

I HAD a MKIII, a M77 and still have a Mini-14 which I don't shoot because it won't hit a bucket. They are all three junk <span style="font-size: 14pt">as far as what I expect</span> in firearms. The M77 could've been a good rifle if they'd put a good barrel on it. Whatever its issue mine didn't shoot well, but its finish was pretty.

For 22rimfire pistols, why not just get a <span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><span style="font-weight: bold">S&W Mod41 </span></span>or a<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'"> <span style="font-weight: bold">High Standard </span></span><span style="font-weight: bold">Victor</span> or <span style="font-weight: bold">Supermatic Trophy</span>?

The latter can be gotten pre-owned for around 6 - 7. We piss off the cost difference between a Ruger and a Victor in two nights on vacation getting the bigger hotel room that still has a crappy view - the return on that money we'll never, ever see again!

A new Mod41 is @$G. So?
That's only 1, $100 dinner for 2, less per month. So in 10 months the gun is paid for, so to speak, and you'll have it forever whereas the dinner went down the toilet the next morning, though the experience might have been memorable, but so is shooting together!

Or instead of getting a new, junk gun, get a S&W K22 Masterpiece Revolver,<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><span style="font-weight: bold"> Colt </span></span>Diamondback, Woodsman, Huntsman, Challenger, <span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><span style="font-weight: bold">Browning</span></span> Challenger, Nomad, Medalist, for example. They are very much NOT junk.

You can bad mouth Ruger's MK pistols all you want, but my $300 MKII will flat out shoot my $1000 Mod 41 to the point it is depressing. It will out shoot many rifles I have shot. I used to take it to .22 steel shoots and beat most of the scores in the rifle class with my pistol and the only thing that ever matched it was another MKII and we tied for all time top score in the pistol class.

This is it.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This...

So simple a caveman can do it... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerhappy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can bad mouth Ruger's MK pistols all you want, but my $300 MKII will flat out shoot my $1000 Mod 41 to the point it is depressing. It will out shoot many rifles I have shot. I used to take it to .22 steel shoots and beat most of the scores in the rifle class with my pistol and the only thing that ever matched it was another MKII and we tied for all time top score in the pistol class. </div></div>

+1 Many a squirrel have lost there heads believing a better nut existed out there somewhere... I cannot fathom how many thousands of rounds my MKII Competition has been fed without issue, scoped or with irons over the last 17-18 years.

Yep I laughed my ass off reading the original post as well!!

Been there buddy. Its the lil dangly thing and the order of things, just right follow the steps and its butter. Go out of step and don't reset the hammer and yer FUCT!! I have cussed and scratched my head as well. but I am good now.

I printed a set of step by step directions from rimfirecentral and keep it in the cleaning kit to avoid moments of nerver wracking frustration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I HAD a MKIII, a M77 and still have a Mini-14 which I don't shoot because it won't hit a bucket. They are all three junk <span style="font-size: 14pt">as far as what I expect</span> in firearms. The M77 could've been a good rifle if they'd put a good barrel on it. Whatever its issue mine didn't shoot well, but its finish was pretty.

For 22rimfire pistols, why not just get a <span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><span style="font-weight: bold">S&W Mod41 </span></span>or a<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'"> <span style="font-weight: bold">High Standard </span></span><span style="font-weight: bold">Victor</span> or <span style="font-weight: bold">Supermatic Trophy</span>?

The latter can be gotten pre-owned for around 6 - 7. We piss off the cost difference between a Ruger and a Victor in two nights on vacation getting the bigger hotel room that still has a crappy view - the return on that money we'll never, ever see again!

A new Mod41 is @$G. So?
That's only 1, $100 dinner for 2, less per month. So in 10 months the gun is paid for, so to speak, and you'll have it forever whereas the dinner went down the toilet the next morning, though the experience might have been memorable, but so is shooting together!

Or instead of getting a new, junk gun, get a S&W K22 Masterpiece Revolver,<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><span style="font-weight: bold"> Colt </span></span>Diamondback, Woodsman, Huntsman, Challenger, <span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><span style="font-weight: bold">Browning</span></span> Challenger, Nomad, Medalist, for example. They are very much NOT junk.
</div></div>

High Standards are great guns. Finding magazines that work and smiths that can service them is difficult. The S&W Mod 41 is a great pistol, but for suppression, there is a lot more available that is compatible with the Ruger. You also will be able to find plenty of mods available for it and plenty of smiths who will work on it.

The Ruger has its place, but if I were to buy one today, I would buy a used Mk II off of GB. The Mk III was a step backwards.

I laughed at the original post too, cracks me up when people blame the object for their ignorance.

My 22/45 is one of the few weapons that are off limits for sale/trade. IMHO best 22 going for the price.

To get them re-assembled the trigger has to be pulled so the hammer falls forward by gravity and the hammer strut must, by gravity too, swing down right on top of the mainspring plunger.

Avoid all that by dropping the whole thing absent the grips in an ammo can of mineral spirits to dissolve the crud rimfires leave and let it drip dry and lube with motor oil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are a pain to take apart but a can of WD-40 makes life easier.I haven't had mine apart in years.</div></div>

Yes.