• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I fixed the Fix

Burdy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 10, 2013
    Always wanted a Fix, or a rifle that met the use case the Fix was built for, but wanted more modularity/commonality. This was a long 2 year journey to obtain all the parts, but it turned out fantastic...at least in the hand. Time to shoot it and pray its accurate. With my Nomad Ti suppressor, the entire package will still eak in a just under 8lbs. The barreled action and chassis by itself weighed 5 pounds and 7.7 ounces FWIW.

Always wanted a Fix, or a rifle that met the use case the Fix was built for, but wanted more modularity/commonality. This was a long 2 year journey to obtain all the parts, but it turned out fantastic...at least in the hand. Time to shoot it and pray its accurate. With my Nomad Ti suppressor, the entire package will still eak in a just under 8lbs. The barreled action and chassis by itself weighed 5 pounds and 7.7 ounces FWIW.

Specs?

I'm right there with you. I decided to go this route. This isn't mine but I bought a Zermatt Origin to SBR, a Black Collar Arms chassis, and I'll hot-swap barrels with a rubber strap wrench. I bought two different fore-ends for different length barrels and suppressor sizes. It's probably going to have barrels in the 6" to 12" range. Max 16".

View attachment 8164455
    Have you ever weighed it. Great setup

Magnesium XLR chassis, Defiance Anti action, Proof 16.5" barrel, Trigger Tech Diamond 2 stage, ARC low rings,, Vortex Razor Light Hunter 4.5-22 and 3D printed hand rest from a forum member just so I don't touch the barrel in certain shooting positions.
    What twist rate is it ?🙂

I recently sold my 4th Fix and did something similar. I love the Fix and I don't think there's a true replacement for it, but I too came close with an Impact build in an MDT HNT26 that's a lot more modular and allows easier barrel swaps and weighs 2oz less all said and done, I could swap to an NBK and be even lighter than a Fix. Barrel changes are a lot less steps. Torque barrel into barrel vice, insert action wrench, and it take off. For the Fix you've gotta remove the top rail which is a bunch of little T25's, then not lose the bolt stop, it's pin, and it's spring which can go flying, then two more bolts for the handguard, then you're finally ready to put it in the barrel vise, and then still use a specialty wrench to remove the barrel.

Wow. That's absurd. I've been turned off of the fix just because of the necessity to have barrel extensions to chamber a new barrel. And the bolt lift.

If you want an easy to change barrel, yes, but I get why they did it. That rail designed with all the little screws makes the receiver and handguard extremely rigid, its awesome for running clip ons and IR yet is so light. To get the same rigidity in a R700 chassis you're either running a side chick and back to the same thing and extremely limited to actions it works with, or you're using a chassis that weighs as much as an entire Fix rifle. So it's a con for some applications but its also one of the things that make the rifle awesome for others.