• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I get to eat my words on Millett

dareposte

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
www.dop3.com
I got the Millett TRS-1 out today for some shooting at the 100 yard range, and was generally happy with the performance... until we came out from under the range shelter and were looking over the fence.

My friend had his NXS out, and we were just doing a comparison to see what didn't measure up on the Millett. It was a cloudy and dreary day here, with full and "bright white" cloud cover. In the open daylight and diffused lighting, the Millett had a very unusual clouding of the lense at powers above 10x.

I assume it was from the diffused light of the bright white cloud cover, as I haven't seen it before in bright light testing. All three of us verified that it was a problem, and the NXS and the cheaper Muller APT didn't have any problems at all. Adding the sunshade didn't seem to make any difference.

Aside from this one big issue, it worked well. The clicks were true and repeatable, shot the box great and all that.

I'm definitely not an optics snob, but this is pretty much unacceptable even in my book.

What to do, what to do...

Re: I get to eat my words on Millett

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad to hear the APT worked well, as this is what is on my rifle. </div></div>

i was thinking the same thing and half the price of the Millet. SORRY the millet isnt working out tho.

howdy

I almost went with the 16x SuperSniper, guess I should have!

I have repeatedly been amazed by the Mueller APT and the way it just simply works. For a low-budget scope it's gained my favor through just working and not being tempermental at all. I really wish it had a 50mm objective though, the APT gets noticeably dim around dusk, much more so than the larger objective scopes I have.

I'm not sure if SWFA will do an exchange or if I'll have to go through Millett to get it fixed. Bummer though, it was looking so good.

Yeah, that is unusual. i have used my TRS 1 in bad lighting conditions, up to and including snowing, fog, and other crappy weather and always had great results. I'd see if SWFA will swap it out, i bet they would.

Paulus

Call and exchange it. They are good to work with. My buddy has a millett that he loves.

at night i can clearly see the backlit windows of different houses around the area. i was shocked it was so close to what i saw with the naked eye. if SWFA wont help you, bushnell will

I got two emails from SWFA today... One was from Chris and said to call Millett/Bushnell to get it fixed or replaced, then send the repaired one back to them if I wanted to exchange it. The other one was from CS and said to just send the one I have back to them and they'd take care of it. Not sure what to make of all that.

It's off the rifle now, so I took it for a walk around the block and checked various scenes at high power, and it's still cloudy above 10x, so it doesn't seem like it was just a fluke or weird lighting at the range. The cloudiness seems to be very much related to eye position. If you get exactly lined up perfectly its minimized, but out even a hair and its as if someone is shining a maglight across the occular lense. My guess is a coating or something is catching the light and reflecting it back at me, as it only happens in fairly bright light. Go in the shade and the weirness disappears. Also below 10x there is no problem, the glass is otherwise great and very sharp.

I'm tempted to ask to exchange it for a SuperSniper 16x fixed scope, I hate sending new things out for "service".

Hello

Sorry you had a problem with your Millett scope. If its foggy send it back, Bushnell Millett will repair or replace it for you. there is no problem getting service.

I Think the TRS has many more features then the SS. Its a good value scope.

If you have any issue email me and I will see what I can do.

Steve
Bushnell/millett