• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I hate flying

I didnt know Lufthansa was gov funded. I guess that explains it
Most euro flag carriers are national airlines. Im talking the big ones. Many aren’t but that’s why you see so many new airlines in Europe. They come and go because they can’t compete because the cost of doing business in Europe without the govt is astronomical

Reactions: clcustom1911
At about 3/gallon, fuel alone on a flight on a modern day narrow body 321 from NY to LAX would be 21000.

Your numbers are a bit high.

Last time I checked my airlines fuel cost was under $2 a gallon(depending on where we buy it).

JFK to LAX is ~2100 miles, lets say 6 hours. We plan in the 737 ~5k per hour average burn, so 30k lbs of fuel. 6.767 lbs per gallon is 4433 gallons * 2 is slightly under 9k bucks in gas. Again, give or take a bit.

Your numbers are a bit high.

Last time I checked my airlines fuel cost was under $2 a gallon(depending on where we buy it).

JFK to LAX is ~2100 miles, lets say 6 hours. We plan in the 737 ~5k per hour average burn, so 30k lbs of fuel. 6.767 lbs per gallon is 4433 gallons * 2 is slightly under 9k bucks in gas. Again, give or take a bit.
What about reserves and all the extra that dispatch puts on due to weather and atc delays? Our 321’s only hold 159 on that route so obviously our cost is a bit higher. But they burn about 6k an hour and our typical load is around 42k. The NEO burns significantly less but is also an absolute pig. And yeah allegedly that’s what we pay per gallon.

im not talking about gas being carried, only gas being burned. On a 30k burn flight we would carry min extra of 4.4, but usually dispatcher add of a few hundred. We generally land with 5k without an alternate.

So im only talking gas burned, not what you carry extra.

And if yall are really paying $3 thats 33% more than we are paying if we are indeed paying ~2.

We have been doing a lot of tankering lately... I tanked 16k out of Bellingham fucking washington last week... WTF... Fuel must have been STUPID cheap up there to tanker that much.

And the MAX sounds similar to the NEO. Its a haus up to 300 but then it falls off. It'll tell you you can go to 380...no fucking way. The big fans on new motors make HUGE power down low and nothing up high. When I flew the 747-8 at Atlas we would double de-rate a takeoff... 80% N1 at a MILLION POUNDS and when it went to climb power it would go to like 97%... fucking afterburner.. and then you couldnt climb above 320 LOL.

Flown to South America a few times. Nothing like coming into Quito in the rain at night!

im not talking about gas being carried, only gas being burned. On a 30k burn flight we would carry min extra of 4.4, but usually dispatcher add of a few hundred. We generally land with 5k without an alternate.

So im only talking gas burned, not what you carry extra.

And if yall are really paying $3 thats 33% more than we are paying if we are indeed paying ~2.

We have been doing a lot of tankering lately... I tanked 16k out of Bellingham fucking washington last week... WTF... Fuel must have been STUPID cheap up there to tanker that much.

And the MAX sounds similar to the NEO. Its a haus up to 300 but then it falls off. It'll tell you you can go to 380...no fucking way. The big fans on new motors make HUGE power down low and nothing up high. When I flew the 747-8 at Atlas we would double de-rate a takeoff... 80% N1 at a MILLION POUNDS and when it went to climb power it would go to like 97%... fucking afterburner.. and then you couldnt climb above 320 LOL.
The 321 NEO is a complete pig. At 340 the coffin corner is only like 15 knots. The classics, it takes us until passing the Rockies until we can typically climb above 35. Even then max ceiling is 390. Never been above 360 in a NEO.

Airlines also disappear when their assets are turned into cash that is loaned back to them for operating capital at 14-18%, then the robbers walk away after 4 or 5 years.

The 321 NEO is a complete pig. At 340 the coffin corner is only like 15 knots. The classics, it takes us until passing the Rockies until we can typically climb above 35. Even then max ceiling is 390. Never been above 360 in a NEO.
Ugh! In the CJ3, or 2 for that matter, I was at 450 every time unless it was a really short flight. DAL to AUS was like 120 😜 If I tried to go higher the arrival would have you coming back down before you got to altitude. So much for “over the weather”! Just call me Farmer Brown. I be’s ploughing!

Last edited:
I flew in and out of Ambler, Alaska in one of these many times!
What kind of strip?? I'm thinking of setting this up for off airport type stuff.
It's no super cub but a new nose fork and some bigger tires and she'll do all right. Dirt/grass strips.....the occasional hay field.

Ugh! In the CJ3, or 2 for that matter, I was at 450 every time unless it was a really short flight. DAL to AUS was like 120 😜 If I tried to go higher the arrival would have you coming back down before you got to altitude. So much for “over the weather”! Just call me Farmer Brown. I be’s ploughing!
I flew a CJ2+ for 5.5 years…slow in cruise but that jet had some balls on climb. My record 500’ ASL departure to FL450 was 19 minutes with two pilots, one pax, bags for all and 2500lb fuel.

I’ve flown the A300 for 7 years and that stubby wing has zero climb performance…peters out around 320. Been to 390 when very light but it dutch rolls like a 20-series Lear…

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SQ54
For the cj2 and cj3 engines you're welcome. I make them (specifically fuel slingers and a few other parts). Me personally only done it for the last 5 years or so.

Didnt know there were so many pilots here. Super cool, always wanted to do it

I flew a CJ2+ for 5.5 years…slow in cruise but that jet had some balls on climb. My record 500’ ASL departure to FL450 was 19 minutes with two pilots, one pax, bags for all and 2500lb fuel.

I’ve flown the A300 for 7 years and that stubby wing has zero climb performance…peters out around 320. Been to 390 when very light but it dutch rolls like a 20-series Lear…
I flew the citation X for a bit. We could get up there pretty quick. Great airplane until you were landing in a crosswind.

I enjoy it. The off-airport stuff especially.
7AA6A198-1BF0-4861-948C-AFEA163B9D51.jpeg

Attachments

• 08195816-5351-4627-8117-E4E628EAA035.jpeg
    08195816-5351-4627-8117-E4E628EAA035.jpeg
    627.9 KB · Views: 31
  • D71F4F11-2AB9-4B7A-B659-DF18DB417E18.jpeg
    D71F4F11-2AB9-4B7A-B659-DF18DB417E18.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I used to love flying and did a lot of it. I was "single digits" when I took my first flight. After that first round trip, I went UNAM until my adulthood. I've been all over Europe, Asia, all the continents (except Antarctica - Working on that).

These days, I hate flying. My last round trip was to Ponce, Puerto Rico and back in 2017. Will only do so now if absolutely necessary.

Thankfully, so far, it hasn't been.

Those yours or just a couple you have flown? There’s nothing more pure than flying backcountry and landing in random fields and grass strips.
I’ve had the SuperCub awhile. I just got the 206, so will probably be selling the Cub. The Maule is owned by a buddy of mine.

Reactions: _Windrider_
I love flying but hate (commercial) airports.

That said, I've been thru major airports around the world and Atlanta has them beat. People that come thru here complain but I've flown out of ATL over 1000 times (I am not exaggerating, more than once a week on average for over two decades) and once you get to know it, it's a breeze to navigate.

I learned tricks - for example, visiting customers in New Jersey, I would fly into Bethlehem. Could be in rental car 5 minutes after doors opened. Sure, the drive was 30min longer, but compared to dealing with the shithole of Newark airport, it was a delight. Lovely hotels and restaurants out that way as well. Same in South Florida. I avoid MIA at all costs. Palm Beach is a drive, but such a pleasure to go thru.

maules have amazing STOL capabilities
Not going to argue because my time is limited, but the super cub was like a corvette compared to mustang. I have no clue which particular models I flew. The SC felt like you could just point it up at the sky and it would just keep going. Our Maule could still yank up sailplanes like they weren't even there. It was a CAP airplane.

Don’t want to derail this thread and completely get the reason for its inception. Seems to be a fair amount of folks around here interested or involved in aviation. Part 91, 121, 135, etc... I’m on the road tonight (KIAD), but after dinner will start a Hide Aviation Thread (or someone else can). Share your experience, equipment, etc... Interested?

True. I spend more time in Maggie’s than the Pit, so was trying to make it easy on myself 😂. Pilots... 🙄😂
I spend most of my time in Watched Threads. I've got 58 pages in there. New stuff doesn't seem to show up there on its own though. Not sure why. 🤷😜

.. and just like that, Spark YT channel posted a vid on ATL operations.

A lot of the info is outdated but it's interesting nonetheless.

Man, I have time in almost every airplane type pictured here. Several thousand hours in CJ3s, more than a few hours in King airs, super cubs, cherokees and single Cessnas of all flavors...to say nothing of weirdo tow-planes like the Call-Air, or Turbine Commanders, twin-piston cessnas, various flavors of 737s, Never been in a Hawker or a Beechjet though.

Part 91, 135, 121, and even 125. I think single pilot ops in the CJ3 from the PNW to and around AK might have been the best job of them all. Flying is terrific, as long as you are sitting in the front seat.

Reactions: SQ54 and tnichols
i don't have problem with flying as long as i am listening to music. i hate the whole process before getting there that; the lineup to check in. The endless hiking from where you are to where you need to be

I'll take that action! :) The "crunch time" for me is the actual boarding. You want to be one of the first to board if you want to preserve the overhead space above your seat. It's all about overhead space. And, sometimes, arseholes sitting in the back will board first and put their overhead items in the forward area of the cabin so that: 1) the don't have to carry it all the way back; and 2) they know they can come get it as they leave. But that reduces the availability of overhead space for those sitting in the front.

I'm glad (in a way) that airlines like United went to 'Boarding groups' instead of starting at the rear. You want to try and be in "boarding group 1." Not that it mattered that much to me for most of the flights as I traveled "BusinessFirst" class for most of my travel and could board immediately after "those needing special assistance" and families with "Small children" (was always in "group 1").

If they could solve the problem of "carry-on" luggage and "overhead space," it would go a lot smoother. Maybe you would be restricted only to the space over your seat or something like that. It would be nice. It would also help I think if carryons were more scruitinized as people boarded. Gate checking works. Then again, I do tend to push the limit on that because I don't want things in checked baggage that could be subject to theft. That's another problem altogether.

I used to enjoy flying.
I'm old enough to remember when they gave you a pack of smoked almonds as a snack, not fucking peanuts, or worse, pretzels, but fucking almonds.
I had my nose broken (deviated septum) back in the day.
When I was young, it didn't bother me too much, but as I got older, I could no longer equalize pressure.
It got so bad that, at times, it felt like someone was stabbing an icepick into my eardrum, the pain was excruciating.
I the last tour before I retired, I ended up on an inspection team.
We would fly out of Corpus Christi to either Dallas or Houston, then proceed to fly to Okinawa, then Misawa, then down to Guam then back to the states. Also made trips to Sicily.
My ear would be plugged up for weeks after the trip, it would suddenly pop and it felt like blood running down my neck. Hurt like a motherfucker.
That is when I no loner liked to fly.
But, if I have to fly, let it be JAL. They still believe in young, hot flight attendants and they are on time with great CS.

20 series Lears aren’t actually airplanes, they just resemble one. Any ”airplane” that requires a back up yaw damper …🤬 With it off it will immediately start to dutch roll. After about 2 cycles you’ll lose it. You will notice that the later Lears have all sorts of strakes under the tail and bumps on the wings.

20 series Lears aren’t actually airplanes, they just resemble one. Any ”airplane” that requires a back up yaw damper …🤬 With it off it will immediately start to dutch roll. After about 2 cycles you’ll lose it. You will notice that the later Lears have all sorts of strakes under the tail and bumps on the wings.
Slow down, go down. Lots of yaw damper off drills in the 72 sim.

In the CJ3 at 450 we could easily do .73 (which is slow relative to a lot of (ok, all) other jets. The hard part was keeping it under Mmo (.737) cause it wants to go faster.

Reactions: OREGUN
Slow down, go down. Lots of yaw damper off drills in the 72 sim.
The demo I saw live in the airplane (I’m not typed in a Lear. All sic) was at 10,000 MSL.

What kind of strip?? I'm thinking of setting this up for off airport type stuff.
It's no super cub but a new nose fork and some bigger tires and she'll do all right. Dirt/grass strips.....the occasional hay field.
Ambler, and really, all, of the villages in Bush Alaska have good gravel strips. It's the way everything gets delivered to town...mail, eggs, gas and diesel, building materials, bootleg booze...everything. You won't find any hay fields to land on though.

Reactions: jmp1