• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I hate winter

I am most fortunate to be able to escape some of the Montana winter. Last two years we have spent 2 months on the Florida pan handle. This year has been exceptional! In these 2 months I have sent more rounds down range and more days on the range in 2 months than all of the previous months at home. Sustained winds 30-40 mph and gusts to 70 make 30 degrees unbearable for me.
Have to hope the retirement funds hold out!!!

I know it's awful! Only going to be 58 here today going to have to wear a sweatshirt dangit.
58º is teeshirt weather, unless I'm on the scooter...then it's time to put the leather jacket on.

therapy1.jpg

^^^ That's exactly what it looks like here, RIGHT NOW ^^^ Not a fan.

Reactions: Maxwell
58º is teeshirt weather, unless I'm on the scooter...then it's time to put the leather jacket on.

View attachment 7796336

^^^ That's exactly what it looks like here, RIGHT NOW ^^^ Not a fan.
I'm in FL so 58 makes me cringe. If I can't be in Reefs, board shorts and a t-shirt it's too cold! Great pic love the bike. Sold my last crotch rocket in 94 after nearly getting run over at a stop light by a q-tip here in FL. Was so much different in rural AL country roads that was some great riding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowpokey
Winter is welcome :cool: :coffee:
Last weekend in NH there was a PRS match called the Snowball, the day started at -20 deg, but it got up to 20 by the afternoon, although the sunlight was quick to hide, lololol...
udKPpMaDf5nde2AwOwzEKQ9IeCs_qSMynjSqfEcPtRl7QDp1yaX5Do9O-HeQGswWrJWPxGA0LNGDXyrDyYGGH5yp-skrTeWLmJ2UU_-MmjwqDhK87C99M8HrmWi8XfLmePV9EccRlImFbl1limINr-GpFGxVHQU-EDTM4Pe9A9C4faFg4TEkPVRwhclan9SNzoYL1O9Y6QFFnj56AMu_L4f3jLLyoywitc0ZaIeDLL5i4yWPV5GGoK2kyVIX0tmc5JePQhqek7zC7V2hizPJEeJ21E_WIsRQykfge8UVIx9SiZSr33P92RaacKfYiUnj0IMsmTm3A3Pm3MgElb5cocsEYHXlou1KcBxTqVvGxaL4QeZwEYME2K8gFCjJ_X5r3YKRVcbK6VO3jVP-TclNV_9pwF3MyLIaqUXYYEH6aAayeM2ybrEg2jMryO4G5hx-Q3k2cq84YXrt5fKGFEOwwo43LWytwGeAvoGanJtohz1ocZSm3txC0iXzIWrUiwJCPMpOzhuMxMPUyJOcOlBnXBndkrAPn04GxYcbbpeF0ImkgUBeVC0y1vuz-1GugX4UcBilPfjh9IZkd64ip7lJsBtyJ4VUcTXrsp7lGQ173RFeM9KQ_973PWnec2eoAvXw4cGJiwsPnhZR53r6915MyvHOiw7rsIQkbOKrdo0UB8JPd2jv1EECh8b3-JdMo_GZoDAkwL9al9MdMhV_TOmzzHZ5Tg=w834-h625-no

It's all relative. Except for a few months spent in Nashville, I've lived my entire life in the southern half of Texas, and I find that the boiling summer heat saps my strength more and more the older I get. The (mostly) mild winters here are a welcome relief.
you are not wrong. the heat and humidity in the southeast states is brutal. the birds got it right….move to where the weather doesnt suck.

Reactions: rhsc and JJMoody
I never minded the cold, I just hated shoveling snow. I sold my snow-blower, and moved back to Texas. I knew I was far enough south, when the moving man stopped bringing stuff out of the van. I looked in to see what was holding him up. He was carefully looking at a snow shovel, turned to me and asked "What the hell is this?"
shoveling snow, and the one i love the best…the snowplow coming along and throwing the icy heavy shit in a huge mound blocking it completely off after you finish.

Went skiing in Taos over Christmas. Never felt cold. If anything, was overheated. Walk around Houston area in winter, just freezing. PPPPPP…

I love winter. I reminds me of the farm in Canada. Hard work but the winter nights were great. Every time I hear this I remember those days

OP.....do you? Do you really?

image.jpg

image.jpg

This one thinks he will go line up some shoveling jobs.....

image.jpg

Coldest I've had to work in, outside, with bare hands, was -52. What would normally take 1 person about 10 minutes to do, actually ended up taking 3 of us about 45 minutes to do. We each had two sets of hand tools inside our pockets.

The parts we were dealing with were so small and finicky that you couldn't use gloves. We would work a few minutes (at best) then use tools for a minute or two, then tag to the next guy and he'd work a few while you had your hands in your pockets warming them.

Continue working in circles till it came your turn again, then you'd use your OTHER set of tools because they were warmer and you cold handle them longer than the previous ones, which were still thawing out/warming up.

The logging trucks were forbidden to work when it got colder than -50, because the long-loads of logs were so much weight that the axles were prone to breaking. (72' loads on the back-roads) That weight, added to the cold, then throw-in potholes.... makes for very unsafe conditions. And then the catastrophic mess that was left on the road made things even worser for the crews that would have to come out, rescue the driver, then right the vehicle/trailer, then clean up the pick-up-sticks that those long-loads would create.

There was one particular blizzard that came up so big, and so fast, that one of the local helicopter company's whirly-birds set down right at the edge of our log-yard. It was the FIRST thing the pilot could see, and recognize, that he knew was truly 'clear' to land in and get his customers on the ground.

Interesting times..... and almost all ya'll are STILL far South of where I am now. Ya'll are living in the balmy tropics,,,, don't kid yourselves.

Interesting times..... and almost all ya'll are STILL far South of where I am now. Ya'll are living in the balmy tropics,,,, don't kid yourselves.
I grew up in the middle of nowhere South Dakota on a cattle farm, -40º was normal for two weeks every winter. I was stationed in Okinawa Japan my first two years in the military, winter was removed from my operating system. 15º here today, with wind whipping. Y'all keep that cold weather.

Reactions: canman
I grew up in the middle of nowhere South Dakota on a cattle farm, -40º was normal for two weeks every winter. I was stationed in Okinawa Japan my first two years in the military, winter was removed from my operating system. 15º here today, with wind whipping. Y'all keep that cold weather.
I saw hail in Okinawa a few years back, never thought that would happen.

• Wow
I would hate it more if I was there...unless I had a snowmobile, winter is fun when you have a fast sled.
Winter is fun when doing winter things.

Shoveling or daily commute, the dirty look of the snow banks days after the storm its hideous.

Gets cold here in FL too. Just doesn’t last long.
1643503136586.png

That's when I'm stuffing the sled in the truck and heading to the mountains.

Winter is fun as hell if you have good gear and fun toys. Worst part is once you take the helmet off for lunch it freezes and putting to back on sucks.

Agreed! Round here summer means triple digit temps, triple digit humidity, and mosquitos so big they can walk up and fuck a turkey flat footed!!!
summers down here just plain suck. too humid where i live in the shit-smoke and much hotter at the family property. i remember last summer spraying weeds at over 120 degrees merican temp, was 52 plus in strayaian temp. today its close to 90 in the shade. winters on the property are much nicer as you can rug up as needed. even after midnight here in winter it get below zero and is still comfortable unless blowing a gale.

anything above 99% humidity is rain.
Tounge in cheek comment. It gets so humid here it might as well be raining! Take a deep breath and you get more water that air! :LOL:

Last edited:
  • Haha