• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have a question concerning assault rifles?

Vitorum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
TN
To be honest I have searched here and there and haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for. I basically want to learn the functions and mechanics on how an assault rifle, smg, or any semi/fully automatic weapon works. I've read quite a bit about them but for me it does no good unless I have a visual association. So if a diagram or a video could be presented for me it would be much easier and most appreciated. If anyone knows of anything like what I'm requesting please direct me to the right area. Thank you.

Re: I have a question concerning assault rifles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff 03</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> AR15 Workings Here ya go this is from bushmasters website </div></div>

Thank you very much. Now does this cover every assault rifle type for the most part. By that I mean rifles like the AUG, FAMAS, TAR 21, g36, fn f2000, galil exc. Do they all use a similar system?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5oHx6qdteFY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5oHx6qdteFY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

MidwayUSA to explain the AR fire control

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, <span style="font-weight: bold">GOOGLE</span> is your friend. Instead of expecting to be spoon-fed by everyone else doing the work for you, do your own research and you'll learn more. </div></div>

So I guess no one should ask any questions then on this forum?? Without questions be asked, most forums wouldn't exist..

So instead of telling him/her to use google, why don't you offer some real help..

The person would also learn more if more people were receptive to his/her question/s..

it can be disconcerting for new members if they feel stifled on topics. Not everyone is internet search-savvy.

Assault rifles/weapons is a term that was used long ago for weapons to be used in an assault (usually fully auto), just like it sounds, however; bill clinton, the favorite of the commiedems, made up a new meaning, in 1994, if you are old enough will remember, the dems decided a list of "features" made something an "assault rifle" or not, flash hiders, gernade launchers, pistol grips, HIGH CAP MAGS, folding stocks etc.. If it "looked evil" to the dems, it was an assault rifle, the fact that it was a semi-auto, legally mfg, purchased and taxes had been paid on it, did not stop the dems. In all fairness to the dems, they (clinton and his commie buddies) had a bunch of Cops, from national police organizations standing with him, with their constant BS on how banning these guns would make us safe. In short if billie clinton and his buddies had named their new class of rifles "Sunflower rifles", you'd be asking "what is a sunflower rifle"-the same answer would apply-dem BS.

You spend a lot of time googling and find a lot of crap. To ask for the help of experienced users is what it is all about. It saves time and can often be better advice.

I have been shooting ARs for over 30 years, and I do not know all the details of exactly how they work. But I can shoot the hell out of targets. I do know enough about how they function to fix a jam, etc.

If he is asking for help, why not offer it. It seems that an armed society is a polite society, except on forums.

I not an expert gunsmith or the functioning of guns. Or I would help. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

KEEP ON PREPPING
Patriot Preppper

Thank you all so much for all your help. This has been very beneficial for me.

For semi's you're usually talking gas-operated vs. just plain recoil operated. One uses just plain inertia to cycle the action, the other uses gas bled off from a fired round to cycle the action.

Generally speaking a gas-operated will have less "felt" recoil than a recoil-operated system.

H&K type rifles like the PTR91 I *think* are recoil operated while an AK is gas-operated via piston, and an AR is gas-operated via direct impingement. I'm sure if you google around you will find parts diagrams for any of the above.

Is that what you are asking about?

Welcome.. but really man..

"The Ninja X" and "Tell me how assult rifles work"... err..

If you found your way here.. you can use google to search and find all the answers you need. This is not an airsoft forum.

Ninja-X

Congratulations on asking the question in the "Semi" forum and not the "Equipment" forum where I've seen other AR posts/questions. Do a LOT of reading and searching - it will serve you well.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ktdls7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ninja-X

Congratulations on asking the question in the "Semi" forum and not the "Equipment" forum where I've seen other AR posts/questions. Do a LOT of reading and searching - it will serve you well.

Kevin </div></div>
1+ and change your name. I am sorry but anything ninja means you are 12 years old or you are shooting airsoft and dream of being in the special forces but would settle for special olympics.

Go to amazon.com or barnes and noble. Do a search on HATCHER'S NOTEBOOK, MG Julian S. Hatcher

Lots of so called assualt rifles out there, but in reality they are pretty much all the same when it comes to Operation Methods.

Hatcher's book though some say out dated, will pretty much give you what you are looking for as to how they work.

If you want to go a bit farther, do an advanced search and find Machine Gun's, 1916, same auther. Again, older book but actions havn't changed a whole lot.

when the trigger is pressed to the rear, a light comes on in the trigger housing which also serves as a bunkroom for a tiny elf. this awakens the angry elf and he instantaneously swings his tiny hammer at the rearward portin of the firing pin which in turn strikes the primer or the cartridge in the chamber. the primer then burns the arse of the little nelwin who lives in the cartridge making him shart his pants. this sharting builds gas pressure up inside the cartidge case and this pressure pushes the bullet out the barrel and spinning toward your target. some of his shart gases vent thru the gas port in the barrel releasing into the gas tube where a small gremlin lives. he smells the gas and runs toward the rear end of the gas tube where he bumps his little head on the piston which in turn cycles the bolt and loads the next nelwin inhabited cartridge, thus completing the firing circuit. this is the exact method that every gun youll ever encounter uses. hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Ninja X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff 03</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> AR15 Workings Here ya go this is from bushmasters website </div></div>

Thank you very much. Now does this cover every assault rifle type for the most part. By that I mean rifles like the AUG, FAMAS, TAR 21, g36, fn f2000, galil exc. Do they all use a similar system? </div></div>

sounds like a 12-year old, who just got done playing call of duty, now hes on his mommys computer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when the trigger is pressed to the rear, a light comes on in the trigger housing which also serves as a bunkroom for a tiny elf. this awakens the angry elf and he instantaneously swings his tiny hammer at the rearward portin of the firing pin which in turn strikes the primer or the cartridge in the chamber. the primer then burns the arse of the little nelwin who lives in the cartridge making him shart his pants. this sharting builds gas pressure up inside the cartidge case and this pressure pushes the bullet out the barrel and spinning toward your target. some of his shart gases vent thru the gas port in the barrel releasing into the gas tube where a small gremlin lives. he smells the gas and runs toward the rear end of the gas tube where he bumps his little head on the piston which in turn cycles the bolt and loads the next nelwin inhabited cartridge, thus completing the firing circuit. this is the exact method that every gun youll ever encounter uses. hope this helps. </div></div>

now i know why the keebler cookies i keep in my safe as emergency rations keep disappearing. thanks man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when the trigger is pressed to the rear, a light comes on in the trigger housing which also serves as a bunkroom for a tiny elf. this awakens the angry elf and he instantaneously swings his tiny hammer at the rearward portin of the firing pin which in turn strikes the primer or the cartridge in the chamber. the primer then burns the arse of the little nelwin who lives in the cartridge making him shart his pants. this sharting builds gas pressure up inside the cartidge case and this pressure pushes the bullet out the barrel and spinning toward your target. some of his shart gases vent thru the gas port in the barrel releasing into the gas tube where a small gremlin lives. he smells the gas and runs toward the rear end of the gas tube where he bumps his little head on the piston which in turn cycles the bolt and loads the next nelwin inhabited cartridge, thus completing the firing circuit. this is the exact method that every gun youll ever encounter uses. hope this helps. </div></div>

now i know why the keebler cookies i keep in my safe as emergency rations keep disappearing. thanks man</div></div>

Hahahaha!!!

yes axe, eating the keebler cookies is one way the nelwins keep real "gassy."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when the trigger is pressed to the rear, a light comes on in the trigger housing which also serves as a bunkroom for a tiny elf. this awakens the angry elf and he instantaneously swings his tiny hammer at the rearward portin of the firing pin which in turn strikes the primer or the cartridge in the chamber. the primer then burns the arse of the little nelwin who lives in the cartridge making him shart his pants. this sharting builds gas pressure up inside the cartidge case and this pressure pushes the bullet out the barrel and spinning toward your target. some of his shart gases vent thru the gas port in the barrel releasing into the gas tube where a small gremlin lives. he smells the gas and runs toward the rear end of the gas tube where he bumps his little head on the piston which in turn cycles the bolt and loads the next nelwin inhabited cartridge, thus completing the firing circuit. this is the exact method that every gun youll ever encounter uses. hope this helps.</div></div>

i just sharted in my pants laughing so hard from reading this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when the trigger is pressed to the rear, a light comes on in the trigger housing which also serves as a bunkroom for a tiny elf. this awakens the angry elf and he instantaneously swings his tiny hammer at the rearward portin of the firing pin which in turn strikes the primer or the cartridge in the chamber. the primer then burns the arse of the little nelwin who lives in the cartridge making him shart his pants. this sharting builds gas pressure up inside the cartidge case and this pressure pushes the bullet out the barrel and spinning toward your target. some of his shart gases vent thru the gas port in the barrel releasing into the gas tube where a small gremlin lives. he smells the gas and runs toward the rear end of the gas tube where he bumps his little head on the piston which in turn cycles the bolt and loads the next nelwin inhabited cartridge, thus completing the firing circuit. this is the exact method that every gun youll ever encounter uses. hope this helps. </div></div>

Wow and someone actually sold you a gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You obviously haven't realized the humor of marduk185....</div></div>

With a name like The Ninja X, what did you really expect? LoL

My wife wants to know why I'm staring at the computer laughing my ass off. Marduk is ruthless!

Just get ANY AR mentioned, but be sure to Add the Counter Sniper Double Reticle Scope to it. There was an overrun for the military and i here they are CHEAP right now, but the price will soon go up to SB and Premier prices SOON. That thing is Sweet. Why would you want one reticle, when you can use TWO?

I continue to be amazed at some of the comments by 'posters' that flame an innocent question. The only stupid question is the one that is not asked. I am a long time competative NMC service rigle shooter and have never found anything but positive answers on those website. I started with the M1, then the M1A and now the AR15. A friend of mine has got me interested in this discipline and recommended this as a good web site. At times I question that opinion. Everyone must start somewhere and most of us like to go to the source for knowledge. To flame a question or someone's name only shows your childish behavior. I like many are new to this game and hope to learn by reading the information posted here. I become reluctant to ask questions due to the method in which some 'posters' reply. This is the only forum I am a member of that I am often put off by certain responses. We were all newbies at some point in time. Try to be helpful and welcome new members. This should be a tight and helpful resource for all. Please keep your childish response to yourself - it only serves to make you look foolish not the person asking the question (get a life!). As shooters we need to welcome new members and keep the sport strong and growing. In my experience, competitive shooters are the most friendly and helpful lot out there. I fear in this game there may be too many Rambo whatabees that try to make themselves look better at the expense of others. Flame away if that serves your purpose!

If you dont think Marduk185 isnt absolutely hilarious, then you're just a stick in the mud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Ninja X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To be honest I have searched here and there and haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for. I basically want to learn the functions and mechanics on how an assault rifle, smg, or any semi/fully automatic weapon works. I've read quite a bit about them but for me it does no good unless I have a visual association. So if a diagram or a video could be presented for me it would be much easier and most appreciated. If anyone knows of anything like what I'm requesting please direct me to the right area. Thank you. </div></div>

A) You are, in fact, 12 years old, just got done playing a video game, and blundered in here to ask questions instead of using the internet to find your answers.
Kid, if you like shooting, good for you. Welcome to the ever addicting world of firearms. Fair warning: Most of the members here have a fair amount of shooting experience and don't like answering beginner questions. No offense intended. But there is so much information available, on this site and elsewhere on the internet, that asking us for the answer means you haven't bothered to do the most basic research. You didn't spend any time on it, so why should we? That said, any and all of us will go out of our way to help a beginning shooter. In fact, I'm on my way to teach a basic rifle/midrange class to a bunch of guys and gals that have never shot past 1-200 yards.

B) You are, in fact, a BATFE goon pretending to be a 12 year old, and you are in here to ask leading questions in hope that someone will link you to one of the many videos on YouTube and thus somehow commit a 'crime'. GFY. That was very lame. Soliciting information on full-auto conversions without proper stupid Federal paperwork B.S. is probably a 'crime' too, so go arrest yourself and leave us alone. Recommended reading: The Constitution and the Bill of Rights; in particular the Second Amendment.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mst123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I continue to be amazed at some of the comments by 'posters' that flame an innocent question. The only stupid question is the one that is not asked. I am a long time competative NMC service rigle shooter and have never found anything but positive answers on those website. I started with the M1, then the M1A and now the AR15. A friend of mine has got me interested in this discipline and recommended this as a good web site. At times I question that opinion. Everyone must start somewhere and most of us like to go to the source for knowledge. To flame a question or someone's name only shows your childish behavior. I like many are new to this game and hope to learn by reading the information posted here. I become reluctant to ask questions due to the method in which some 'posters' reply. This is the only forum I am a member of that I am often put off by certain responses. We were all newbies at some point in time. Try to be helpful and welcome new members. This should be a tight and helpful resource for all. Please keep your childish response to yourself - it only serves to make you look foolish not the person asking the question (get a life!). As shooters we need to welcome new members and keep the sport strong and growing. In my experience, competitive shooters are the most friendly and helpful lot out there. I fear in this game there may be too many Rambo whatabees that try to make themselves look better at the expense of others. Flame away if that serves your purpose!</div></div>

There are many, a vast majority, on the 'Hide who will impart what knowledge they have to anyone they can about the subject matter in question. However, when a forum user poses a question that can <span style="font-style: italic">easily</span> be answered by doing a little research, you will find that such questions become irritating to most of the members on the 'Hide. Why, you may ask? No one spoon-fed any of us and we refuse to spoon feed anyone else, especially when it comes to a question such as what has been asked.

This is <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">great</span></span> website to gain a wealth of knowledge from, as I'm sure you already know by now. However, you will also find that the 'Hide does a good job of weeding out the douche bags, wannabe's, and ass clowns from this forum.

If you can't see the ignorance, laziness, or downright stupidity in the original post that started this thread then perhaps you should go back and read it again. Everything he asked for is <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">easily</span></span> found with a simple Google search.

Refer to the image below. I rest my case.

assaultl.jpg

Read this:
http://hotfile.com/dl/111399406/6d6aafa/The_Machine_Gun_(George_Chinn)_V_1-3.html
http://hotfile.com/dl/111398730/795084b/The_Machine_Gun_(George_Chinn)_V_4-5.html

Add .rar to the end of the file.
Use winrar to unpack.

MST123: It was said to me and now ill say it to you.. You have to have thick skin if your going to be on this forum. A lot of us on here are current prior or retired military, talking a little shit here and there to new guys or stupid questions is second nature. Get over it and continue on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry just googled it and found out i was a little off.</div></div> And thanks for another laugh!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Ninja X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To be honest I have searched here and there and haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for. I basically want to learn the functions and mechanics on how an assault rifle, smg, or any semi/fully automatic weapon works. I've read quite a bit about them but for me it does no good unless I have a visual association. So if a diagram or a video could be presented for me it would be much easier and most appreciated. If anyone knows of anything like what I'm requesting please direct me to the right area. Thank you. </div></div>

A) You are, in fact, 12 years old, just got done playing a video game, and blundered in here to ask questions instead of using the internet to find your answers.
Kid, if you like shooting, good for you. Welcome to the ever addicting world of firearms. Fair warning: Most of the members here have a fair amount of shooting experience and don't like answering beginner questions. No offense intended. But there is so much information available, on this site and elsewhere on the internet, that asking us for the answer means you haven't bothered to do the most basic research. You didn't spend any time on it, so why should we? That said, any and all of us will go out of our way to help a beginning shooter. In fact, I'm on my way to teach a basic rifle/midrange class to a bunch of guys and gals that have never shot past 1-200 yards.

B) You are, in fact, a BATFE goon pretending to be a 12 year old, and you are in here to ask leading questions in hope that someone will link you to one of the many videos on YouTube and thus somehow commit a 'crime'. GFY. That was very lame. Soliciting information on full-auto conversions without proper stupid Federal paperwork B.S. is probably a 'crime' too, so go arrest yourself and leave us alone. Recommended reading: The Constitution and the Bill of Rights; in particular the Second Amendment.

1911fan </div></div>

^^^^^^^ This is exactly what I was thinking 1911fan.Just read his post about a "Visual Association"and where to find it.Plenty of sites on the web filled with idiots begging for a prison sentence and this ain't one of 'em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does W.O.L.F. mean?</div></div>

I believe in this scenerio it stands for Weird Old Looney Fuck, hope that answered your question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mst123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I continue to be amazed at some of the comments by 'posters' that flame an innocent question. The only stupid question is the one that is not asked. I am a long time competative NMC service rigle shooter and have never found anything but positive answers on those website. I started with the M1, then the M1A and now the AR15. A friend of mine has got me interested in this discipline and recommended this as a good web site. At times I question that opinion. Everyone must start somewhere and most of us like to go to the source for knowledge. To flame a question or someone's name only shows your childish behavior. I like many are new to this game and hope to learn by reading the information posted here. I become reluctant to ask questions due to the method in which some 'posters' reply. This is the only forum I am a member of that I am often put off by certain responses. We were all newbies at some point in time. Try to be helpful and welcome new members. This should be a tight and helpful resource for all. Please keep your childish response to yourself - it only serves to make you look foolish not the person asking the question (get a life!). As shooters we need to welcome new members and keep the sport strong and growing. In my experience, competitive shooters are the most friendly and helpful lot out there. I fear in this game there may be too many Rambo whatabees that try to make themselves look better at the expense of others. Flame away if that serves your purpose! </div></div>

Read the OP's first post and tell me how welcome it would be if I posted a similar post on your favorite site ? There is a point to asking stupid questions about "Assault" and "Fully Automatic" weapons and can I see pictures of how they work....

"Sniper's Hide: For the Serious Tactical Marksman"

^^^^^^^ This...is what this site is about ^^^^^^

Sandrat,

I certainly understand your point and it is well taken. I have thick skin so the comments do not bother me. If I don't like a question, I choose not to respond - but that is just me. I have shot competitively for most of my life and have noted that there are always individuals in the game that you would prefer not to be there. This is usually a result of attitude more than lack of experience. Have even run across some militia types that you learn to stay clear of due to their very radical outlook. However as I get older, I realize that I am no better than most. Due to a serious motorcycle accident (you have to be tough when your dumb)I have been rehabilitating for the last 8 months. I can walk now but it will be a while before I can get into this game. It appears exciting and different from shooting round black targets with scoring rings. Again after rereading the initial post, I can understand the questions that might go thru one's mind. I enjoy the majority of the information and certainly will continue to learn the sport.

Hey Ninja I've read some of your past posts and i have got to ask. What exactly are you going for in firearms? Do you want to have something that looks cool with a ton of bell and whistles. Do you want to seem cool to other people online when you say u are gonna do certain stuff? Or do you actually want to learn something about firearms that could possibly keep you from doing something retarded?
I know i might sound a little mean but dude not much of the things you say make sense and logic is out the window in almost every post. Building a precision rifle or other is not easy and takes a long time to do. Its no game and the consequences are serious.

it ocurs to me that perchance the op could be greatly assisted if they contacted the "yoda" of the hide over at mountainous dojo. im sure he may be better able to explain the inner werkings.

Yeah. I think mst is right. We don't have to publish to the world every thought we have about a poster. PM the guy maybe? But not out front and center. And why even post at all? Why not just keep moving on to an interesting topic?

In fact, show what you know about the topic and English grammar by explaining the answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ninja-X, Go here (http://www.ar15.com/), create an account, and ask your question there. </div></div>

You are a cruel cruel man... you know what they're gonna do to him there?