• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have a Tikka stainless 270 action. What should I build?

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel I was going to screw on it, but after seeing some of the 110 TTSX loads for the 270, I’m rethinking that.

Or, should I make something else?

anyone making “tikkage” barrels?

I turned my Tikka .270 into a 6.5CM. The only difference in a LA ans SA Tikka is a $30 bolt stop. That said, I also shoot a 6.5x284 and it is a nasty round in a LA.

Open up the bolt face and do a WSM or one of the Sherman Shorts. The T3 action, as much as I love it, is just too short to do long action cartridges properly.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel I was going to screw on it, but after seeing some of the 110 TTSX loads for the 270, I’m rethinking that.

Or, should I make something else?

anyone making “tikkage” barrels?
I have the same and shoot the 110 ttsx for what I hunt and for 500 and in it is good...It's on my lightweight rig.....but if I ever rebarrel probably be a 6.5x55 of some sort....Velocity 3400 plus and a pussycat to shoot in the 110s...

280AI would be a nice handy package for pretty much anything in North America.

that’s what I was told and the direction I was steered when APA built mine. Jered told me very capable cartridge for anything that walks on North America

T3 action is too short to get the most out of 280, IMO. Otherwise, the 6.5 Wby RPM would be a good option. I think probably the best option would be something like the 6.5 Addiction if he's not willing to open up the bolt face.

Surprised no one said 9.3 x 62 or 338-06

what rpm do I need for the 6.5 RPM Weatherby? I have a factory T3 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.
The RPM in 6.5 Wby RPM stands for rebated precision magnum. It's essentially .264 Win Mag with no belt and a rebated rim (or a 6.5-284 on steroids, if you prefer).

If the action is too short for a 280, then do a 284 Winchester. 1-8 twist barrel for 180+ grain bullets.

Reactions: lou400a